Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bsullivan1983
Punch Card
Views: 22,960
Message 1 of 10

Dual-boot Windows 10 Pro and Kali Linux

X1 Carbon Gen4- Keep running into errors trying to dual boot on this computer. After trying for a few days, I found some guides and while not much I didn't know already came out of them, I was able to find a few useful suggestions. Still running into some issues, mainly GRUB related. Hard drive failed to recognize the new partition a few times, but mainly GRUB related. Anyone able to give their step-by-step guide, including BIOS changes to help me get this machine to dual-boot Win 10 Pro and Linux? Tired of having to run it from a flash drive and would rather not run it in a VM. I might be getting rid of the computer anyway and going back to a MacBook Pro. Used this computer 10 hours or less and had to send it in for repair. Got it back (new system board and CPU), same problems... sent out again and they replaced the fan. Still getting random 100% disk/CPU usage at times and the idle temps just aren't stable. Very disappointed that this was suppose to be one of the best business-class laptops around and I had to have it repaired twice in less than 2 weeks. I don't trust the Lenovo techs after this. I honestly just want my money back but I doubt that will happen. 

ThinkBox
Token Ring
Views: 22,919
Message 2 of 10

Re: Dual-boot Windows 10 Pro and Kali Linux

take this latest Kali ver....

and all will work fine....

and this have nothing to do with Lenovo Carbon etc...etc...

this is your fall....

and Yours next problem will be.... how to use the Kali Linux..

.maybe you should forget the Kali...and learn something else...

And by the way..the Lenovo ThinkPads are the best worldwide for Kali (Debian) Linux 

my

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga, Core i7-6600U, 16GB RAM, 512GB NVMe etc...

works perfect with the latest Kali distribution...NVMe , GPS, LTE ,WACOM, PEN  etc...etc...

all works like a charm.....

Best regards...

http://cdimage.kali.org/kali-images/kali-weekly/

bsullivan1983
Punch Card
Views: 22,899
Message 3 of 10

I'm very proficient with Kali. It's not a problem with the distro. Not saying it's a problem with the computer, either. The problems at the end of the post are non-relevant to the dual-boot issue but are directly responsible of the computer. Lenovo's techs are horrible. 

bsullivan1983
Punch Card
Views: 22,877
Message 4 of 10

I have zero issues running Kali from a flash drive- I'd just rather dual-boot. All of the problems at the end of the post are either associated with Windows 10 (I've never seen so much CPU/disk usage and unstable temps on a machine with Windows 10 as I have seen on this computer, and I've purchased hundreds of machines with Windows 10 for clients), the computer or a mix of both. I am going to see if I can get a a brand new machine to try out and if I'm still experiencing the same issues I hope Lenovo will be a good company and give me a full refund. I shouldn't be having to send my machine out for a 3rd time in 2 weeks.

bsullivan1983
Punch Card
Views: 22,419
Message 5 of 10

Bump. I've left dozens of forum posts on several forums and no one ever responds. I've spent 80-100+ hours trying to get Kali to dual-boot alongside Windows 10 on my X1 Carbon Gen4. I've read almost every guide, watched all of the YouTube videos, read 100+ forum posts. I've tried everything. I can boot into Kali Live and verify the installation. I can also verify Kali is installed in the \EFI\Boot folder through powershell. I just can't get the computer to boot to the Grub boot loader and there is no Linux option to choose in the Boot menu. Anyone kind enough to spend some time troubleshooting with me? I would greatly appreciate it.

ThinkBox
Token Ring
Views: 22,412
Message 6 of 10

Hi...

BIOS Settings

• Security -> Secure boot -> Disable secure boot

• Startup -> Boot (press enter) -> Set priority order

• Startup -> UEFI/legacy -> UEFI only (necessary for preventing errors like "efibootmgr: EFI variables are not supported on this system" when using grub-install)

• Startup -> Boot order lock -> Enable (necessary for avoiding Windows to change it and prevent you from entering the BIOS again if dual-boot is used)

• Security -> Virtualization -> Intel Virtualization Technology (necessary for avoiding errors listed by dmesg)

• Security -> Anti-theft -> Computrace -> Permanently disabled (optional: be aware of possible tracking/trojan issues; see ?BlackHat conference reports)

• now schould all work fine...Best regards..
  • if not try this out..
  • Run a shell (for example: boot live USB ->Advanced ->Rescue mode..) and chroot in the installation:

mkdir -p /target        // "target" is a whatever name
    fdisk -lu               // useful to determine the partition number <X> below
    cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/nvme0n1p<X> cryptrootlvm   // if disk is encrypted. luksOpen with capital O is not a typo.
    pvscan                  // scans all disks for physical volumes (necessary)
    vgchange -a y           // this activates the volume group
    lvdisplay               // useful to determine <XXX> below
    mount /dev/<XXX>/root /target

mount --bind /dev /target/dev
    mount --bind /dev/pts /target/dev/pts
    mount --bind /proc /target/proc
    mount --bind /sys /target/sys
    cp /etc/resolv.conf /target/etc
    chroot /target /bin/bash

then:

apt-get update
    apt-get install grub-efi-amd64
    update-grub
    grub-install --target=x86_64-efi /dev/nvme0n1

Exit the shell, choose "Continue without bootloader" and the system should boot.

Optional if dual-boot (e.g. with Windows) is needed:

os-prober
    update-grub
bsullivan1983
Punch Card
Views: 22,396
Message 7 of 10

Done all of the above. Thank you for your input though!

ThinkBox
Token Ring
Views: 22,390
Message 8 of 10

use this images...

http://cdimage.kali.org/kali-images/kali-weekly/

you are welcome.....

best regards....

kali_linux_background_by_saintj123-d8xf3ga.jpg

bsullivan1983
Punch Card
Views: 22,351
Message 9 of 10

Ran the script in the shell and it didn't work. Decided to force Grub install to separate EFI partition on nvme0n1p1, changed boot order to boot from the Samsung nvme drive first and I now have a working dual boot! I tried every other method to try and reinstall/repair Grub available EXCEPT the utility built into Kali Live Rescue. Thanks for opening up my mind Thinkbox. 

ThinkBox
Token Ring
Views: 22,334
Message 10 of 10

you are welcome....Smiley Happy

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals