Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
squashdot
Paper Tape
Views: 492
Message 1 of 7

Issues installing Debian [T495s]

Hello,

I need to install Debian on my ThinkPad T495s, but can't seem to make it work. I'm trying to do it with from USB (.iso file).

The two probably unrelated problems are:

-it gets stuck at the "detecting CDROM" part, which I solved by creating a directory called /cdrom and mounting the contents of the USB on it. It then proceeds to the other problem:

-it gets stuck at "detecting network hardware", which I believe has to do with missing drivers. I tried uploading the drivers for the Intel Wireless card onto the /firmware folder in the USB, to no avail. By "gets stuck" I mean that it stays on the screen with the progress bar for a number of minutes and then prints "insert network hardware" or something along those lines. I then need to restart the PC.

Things I tried: a combination of different USB writing software (namely rufus, disk32imager and UUI) with different Debian 10 ISOs (netinst, Live with gnome, full install with xfce).

I tried another Debian based distro I use for work (REMnux) and that didn't work either, same error.

I would be very grateful if you could give me any kind of advice, I atually need this and don't know where to look.

I can give you other info if needed, thank you in advance.

wurstpfote
Punch Card
Views: 465
Message 2 of 7

Re: Issues installing Debian [T495s]

Did you also try the non-free firmware installer ISOs: https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/ ?

squashdot
Paper Tape
Views: 438
Message 3 of 7

Hi wurstpfote, thank you for the input. Unfortunately that did not work, it gives me the same error.

I tried running the ISOs on VirtualBox and they work, if that makes any difference.

I have a feeling it has something to do with Win10 and/or the UEFI, I'll keep tinkering.

If anyone has sucessfully installed debian on the same machine please share their method.

Thank you.

Paper Tape
Views: 421
Message 4 of 7

T590 here, not same machine but the same thing happened to me while installing debian.

I didn't write everything down but if i recall correctly, what i did was:

- download the .deb file another machine, for me it was firmware-iwlwifi_20190717-2_all.deb, the installer should tell you which one it needs.

apt-get download firmware-iwlwifi

which is from non-free repos

- put the .deb file in the root of a different usb. shouldnt matter but i think the partition i put it in was an ntfs filesystem

- plug usb in when the installer asks for the non-free drivers

- pick "yes" when it asks to load firmware from removable media

then it should just find them by itself and proceed with the installation process

ledufff
Core Memory
Views: 317
Message 5 of 7

It probably has something to do with the firmware Debian has, which most of the time is too old for NEWER hardware.  So I would wait some weeks/months (sad), until the latest firmware gets to the backports repo.

(You should really try installing it with an ethernet cable,  and wait as much as you can during that 'detecting network' hang, because IME it get's a pass after a long, long time (I have an E495 bit different, bit similar).

Also.  Try their latest isos which are the 10.2 version.

squashdot
Paper Tape
Views: 237
Message 6 of 7

Hi all,

thank you for the responses. I was able to get the necessary non-free firmware to install the OS. Sadly I ran into a further issue: amdgpu drivers are not working. Everything goes smoothly as long as I do not use a windows system (X)... After 'startx' I can see the screen and the icons but the text is not rendered properly, is all glitchy/pixels and I can only see it if I highlight it.

Again I tried different versions of amdgpu firmware to no avail. I'm starting to believe that I am not supposed to use debian on this machine.

I will wait for the updated drivers.

Cheers and happy holidays

Highlighted
ledufff
Core Memory
Views: 231
Message 7 of 7

@squashdot wrote:
I 'm starting to believe that I am not supposed to use debian on this machine.

If you want to be sure,  maybe you can try installing Debian Sid (without important data, more like a testing install), and check if at least the fixes are ready or coming to buster-backports.   Because  the stable branch (Debian 10 Buster) has very old firmware, even older than your machine, example:  amd-microcode (20181128), firmware-amd-graphics (20190114, buster-backports has the 20190717 version). 

It's such a let down to have to use other distro just because they have newer firmware.  They have bugs in other areas unrelated to firmware/kernel most of the time, along other issues.

At this point I think I'm just going to install Debian,  and grab the latest binaries from linux-firmware, and copypaste them to /lib/firmware.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals