Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsDebian
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

04-11-2021

Morocco

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 1 of 5

Lenovo thinkpad p50 doesn't shutdown (SYSTEM shuts down but motherboard stays on)

2021-04-11, 23:49 PM

My computer won't shutdown . when i click on shutdown the screen becomes black and the light of power button gets off.. but the keyboard led stays ON and also USB ports stays working, and i have to shut down the computer by holding the power button. I'm using DUAL BOOT (KALI LINUX + windows 10 ), with windows i don't have this problem only when i shutdown from KALI LINUX (i updated both systems to latest versions)..

Things I have tried but made no difference:

• Shutting down with sudo shutdown -P -h now, systemctl poweroff, sudo poweroff
  • Adding acpi=force, acpi=off, acpi=on, reboot=pci, reboot=bios, reboot=acpi to kernel params
  • updating drivers of GPUs [NVIDIA QUADRO M1000M + intel HD 530 ]
  • i tried to install parrot os instead of kali linux but still same problem

My Laptop:

• Lenovo p50 thinkpad
  • Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6820HQ CPU @ 2.70GHz
  • two graphical cards :
    1- Intel Corporation HD Graphics 530
    2- NVIDIA Corporation GM107GLM [Quadro M1000M]
Options

12561 Posts

01-02-2010

United States of America

40672 Signins

429739 Page Views

• Views: 429739
  • Message 2 of 5

Re:Lenovo thinkpad p50 doesn't shutdown (SYSTEM shuts down but motherboard stays on)

2021-04-11, 23:55 PM

Look in the event log to see what device(s) are having problems stopping.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Options

2 Posts

04-11-2021

Morocco

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 3 of 5

Re:Lenovo thinkpad p50 doesn't shutdown (SYSTEM shuts down but motherboard stays on)

2021-04-12, 0:23 AM

in which log should i look into ?   /var/log/syslog  or  /var/log/messages or something else ?
can you please write me the command ?

Options

12561 Posts

01-02-2010

United States of America

40672 Signins

429739 Page Views

• Views: 429739
  • Message 4 of 5

2021-04-12, 2:43 AM

sorry.  I missed the point that you are running Linux.  I gave you a windows answer.  I read the problem too fast.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Options

9557 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

78246 Signins

2252355 Page Views

• Views: 2252355
  • Message 5 of 5

2021-04-12, 3:17 AM

@ hamzam0n wrote:

in which log should i look into ?   /var/log/syslog  or  /var/log/messages or something else ?
can you please write me the command ?

I'm not sure you'll find anything there, but after the machine has been up for a while, try a shutdown.  Then dump any log file you can find and grep for an appropriate timestamp.

Hopefully others here will have more concrete suggestions.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms