Options

4 Posts

05-14-2019

US

4 Signins

101 Page Views

• Views: 101
  • Message 1 of 2

320-17IKB (Type 80XM) Laptop (ideapad) - USB C Port Doesn't Support External Display

2019-05-14, 7:36 AM

I've been working on finding a solution for this for quite some time (driver's, updates, windows troubleshooter, various adapter, etc) and I'm at my wits end. I've found that when I connect an adapter to an external display, my device manager recognizes it as a "billboard." Originally, I thought that was the issue, but on my work laptop (that has a fully functional port) it recognizes the external display as a billboard as well, but the display becomes useable. I am trying to determine if Lenovo made a useless port and installed it in the laptop (hardware limitation) or if they installed a fully functional port and then purposely limited it's use (software limitation). Both seem ridiculous, but I thought I would come here to see if someone else has had a similar issue and found a good solution. I haven't installed any third party drivers up to this point, but I'm also not opposed to it, if it works.

Options

12427 Posts

11-30-2015

PH

7162 Signins

745454 Page Views

• Views: 745454
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: 320-17IKB (Type 80XM) Laptop (ideapad) - USB C Port Doesn't Support External Display

2019-05-14, 22:02 PM

Hi MrHatt,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

As per product specification, the type C usb port of this model is one USB 3.1 Type-C Gen 1 for data transfer only. It do not support alternate mode.

Message that appears on the device manager is USB Billboard device class to provide error notifications for Alternate Modes. Same as this article," if a monitor that supports Type-C interface connects via Type-C but is not recognized as Alternate Mode, the OS will recognize the device as USB Billboard device".

I hope this helps answer your query.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms