Options

29 Posts

03-23-2018

US

61 Signins

533 Page Views

• Views: 533
  • Message 1 of 3

Cannot update firmware on USB-C Dock with V330 - "ThinkPad USB-C DP HUB version can't be checked!!"

2018-07-25, 21:13 PM

Hello Lenovo Forum !

*disclaimer* I have checked compatibility for the USB-C dock and V330 Laptop using Lenovo's dock finder website. https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/docksSearch/

Appears this dock should be campatible for both PowerDelivery to the dock and replication.

I recently purchased bulk lot of Lenovo ThinkPad V330 15" and Lenovo Thinkpad USB-C docks for my company. After my image process was complete (WIN10P) I proceeded to hook up a dock for testing. I connected the USB-C to the back of the dock by the power adapter plug and the other end to my V330 laptop. The good news, the dock does recognize RJ-45 and USB accessories such as mouse or keyboard, but I cannot get the  the video ports to recognize an external monitor (VGA and 2x DP). Power delivery to my V330 laptop for charging does not work either. This particular dock should supply 60W power via USB-C to the laptop as I understand from the

I believe the Power Delivery portion of firmware needs updated but I run into the refrenced error when I attempt to run it. The README listed under Lenovo's v3.7 changes shows 1.3.40

README also references changing "thunderbolt BIOS assist mode" to enable in BIOS, but I do not see that option for Thinkpad V330

Steps taken so far:

Restart computer (several times)

Plugged external display into VGA and both DP ports (again rebooted)

Driver appears to be up to date as I get an error message stating "system existed same version of driver!"

Update firmware - get the above error message when I attempt to run it "ThinkPad USB-C DP HUB version can't be checked!!" 

Current V330 firmware shows:

Billboard version: 0.1.0.23

HX3: 1.14.7.183

CCG4: 1.3.36 (powerdelivery)

From LENOVO FIRMWARE v3.7 README

v3.7

BillBoard(BB) FW: 0.1.0.23
    USB Hub(HX3) FW: 1.14.7.183
    PD(CCG4 DK) FW: 1.3.40 
    DP Hub FW: 3.12.005

I not sure if the video ports will work if I can somehow manage to get the firmware upgraded. At this point I would like to know how I can accomplish this first. 

Any help at this point would be greatly appreciated!

Options

29 Posts

03-23-2018

US

61 Signins

533 Page Views

• Views: 533
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: Cannot update firmware on USB-C Dock with V330 - "ThinkPad USB-C DP HUB version can't be ch

2018-07-26, 16:53 PM

Just to update everyone - I was able to get the dock updated by using a different laptop (lenovo p71) and going through the true thunderbolt port. PD (ccg4)DK is now 1.3.40

After the update, the dock still does not supply power to the laptop and the video ports still do not work. Does anyone have any other ideas to get this dock/V330 to work correctly??

Options

1 Posts

08-10-2018

ZA

2 Signins

27 Page Views

• Views: 27
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: Cannot update firmware on USB-C Dock with V330 - "ThinkPad USB-C DP HUB version can't be ch

2018-08-10, 4:53 AM

Hi,

I have the exact same issue with the USB C Dock on a V330.

With the addition of...

The V330 has an issues with the "ThinkPad USB-C Dock Ethernet Driver", this is after downloading and installing the latest driver - thinkpad_thunderbolt3_and_usb-c_dock_driver_V10012
This is the status I get on the driver for the above.
"Windows is still setting up the class configuration for this device. (Code 56)"

I am also unable to run the firmware updater on the USB C-dock and get the same error as the original poster above.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete