Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
Message 1 of 4 (3,136 Views)

DVI not working from two docks; can anyone suggest why?

Yesterday, I installed a Philips 230W 23-inch LCD to use with my R61 (Nvidea 140M, 512MB). I can drive it by analog, but not by DVI. I've tried both my docks: an Advanced Dock and an Advanced Mini Dock. I've cycled the Philip's Input button; when I select DVI, it goes into sleep mode. 

I've made sure that the cable connection at each end is secure. Is there something I've overlooked? My cable was furnished by IBM, whose repair center appears had refurbished the 230W and many like it to "new condition or better" before I bought it on eBay. 

I know that the firmware on the Mini Dock is old; perhaps the firmware on the Advanced Dock is old, too. Could updating the firmware via my R61 make the DVI work?

Thinkpad W500, Windows 7 Ultimate, ATI graphics (home); ThinkPad E531, Windows 7 Enterprise, Intel graphics (work)
Token Ring
Message 2 of 4 (3,107 Views)

Re: DVI not working from two docks; can anyone suggest why?

As far as I know, R61s with a 15.4" display do not support DVI pass-through.

Retired SuperMod
Message 3 of 4 (3,093 Views)

Re: DVI not working from two docks; can anyone suggest why?

Izmi wrote:

As far as I know, R61s with a 15.4" display do not support DVI pass-through.

Not necessarily correct, systems which have integrated graphics do not support DVI, but with discrete they do.I dug a bit in the archives and found this thread which provides some more information.

@ PaulinMaryland,

it would be helpful if you could post the Type and Model Number, I personally am not aware that there was an R61 with 512 nVidia graphics. Please do NOT post your s/n. 

Thanks

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Punch Card
Message 4 of 4 (3,082 Views)

Re: DVI not working from two docks; can anyone suggest why? (it works now)

[ Edited ]

Type 8918-CTO

made March 2008 (08/03)

I don't yet have the model number because the R61 is at work, and I won't be back at work till March 6. I assure you it has an nVidea with 512MB of VRAM. 

By the way, I got the DVI to work; it began to work when I began to follow the advice found in page 2 of this thread.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=193668&page=1 

Using NVidea's control panel, I was even able to configure the Nvidea card to run my 23-inch display in portrait mode!

Now that I'm running in DVI, analog doesn't work! (I have both cables attached at the same time.) And the R61 display, too, is off. But using the above thread, I'm confident that I'll get both working again. I'd better get analog working...because I've ordered a second 230W display, this time to run in landscape mode via analog. I've also ordered an IBM travel keyboard (PS/2), because I'll need to keep my ThinkPad off to the side to see the two 230Ws.

Message Edited by PaulinMaryland on 03-04-2009 08:22 PM
Message Edited by PaulinMaryland on 03-04-2009 08:25 PM
Thinkpad W500, Windows 7 Ultimate, ATI graphics (home); ThinkPad E531, Windows 7 Enterprise, Intel graphics (work)
Top kudoed Authors