cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Luki5980
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,759
Message 1 of 8

Differences ThinkPad Thunderbolt Dock Gen 2, Workstation Dock (170W) and Workstation Dock (230W)

Hello everyone,

I recently bought a ThinkPad X1 Extreme and I am now locking for a suitable Thunderbolt 3 dock. Although I've read a lot of posts about various docks I am still a little confused about which one to choose. It seems like the following ones would all work with the X1 Extreme:

1. Lenovo ThinkPad Thunderbolt 3 Dock Gen 2 135W:

https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/accessories-and-monitors/docking/universal-cable-docks-thunderbolt/Thun...

2. ThinkPad Thunderbolt 3 Workstation Dock (170W):

https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/accessories-and-monitors/docking/universal-cable-docks-thunderbolt/Thun...

3. ThinkPad Thunderbolt 3 Workstation Dock (230W):

https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/accessories-and-monitors/top-tech/Thunderbolt-WS-230W-dock-US/p/40AN023...

Please correct me if I am wrong but to me it seems as if the only difference between these docks is that the workstation ones come with two AC adapters each and a special Thunderbolt/Power cable to avoid using two different cables. Or are there any other technical differences?

So if I am okay with a two cable solution couldn't I just use the Lenovo ThinkPad Thunderbolt 3 Dock Gen 2 135W and connect it via Thunderbolt while at the same time use my 135W AC adapter to charge the laptop?

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could please clarify this for me.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 6,669
Message 2 of 8

Re: Differences Thinkpad Thunderbolt Dock Gen 2, Workstation Dock (170W) and Workstation Dock (230W)

Hi Luki5980!

Welcome to the community forums.

We don't recommend you to use two adapters at the docking station at the same time since the Lenovo ThinkPad Thunderbolt 3 Dock Gen 2 135W is not designed to use two AC adapters on this docking station. This might cause damage to the docking station and other devices connected to it. Based on the links below the reason why the ThinkPad Thunderbolt 3 Workstation Dock (170W) and ThinkPad Thunderbolt 3 Workstation Dock (230W) requires two AC adapters, because they have more ports to extend multiple external monitors that requires more power. Check the links below.

https://lnv.gy/2JeWhO1

https://lnv.gy/2JeWhgZ

We recommend to use the docking station how it is designed.

Regards,

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Luki5980
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,634
Message 3 of 8

Re: Differences Thinkpad Thunderbolt Dock Gen 2, Workstation Dock (170W) and Workstation Dock (230W)

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Sorry, there was a missunderstanding. I didn't intend to connect two AC adapters to the docking station but only one to the laptop and one to the dock. That shouldn't cause any problems, right?

BTW I ordered the 170W Workstation Dock.

Thanks and best regards.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 6,623
Message 4 of 8

Thanks for clarifying. It would work as long as the charging port is different with the port where you need to connect the Thinkpad Thunderbolt Dock Gen 2 on your laptop.

Regards,

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Luki5980
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,619
Message 5 of 8

Perfect, thanks for helping out.

Best regards.

Feren
Punch Card
Views: 3,653
Message 6 of 8

> We don't recommend you to use two adapters at the docking station at the same time since the Lenovo ThinkPad Thunderbolt 3 Dock Gen 2 135W is not designed to use two AC adapters on this docking station.

Nonsense - all of three docks are exactly the same. The difference is that “Workstation” variants come with two power adapters (170W + 65W / 230W + 65W) instead of one (135W) and a thunderbolt+power cable to carry extra power (as thunderbolt cable’s maximum is 100W).

Again, the docks themselves are same. 

LennyNero
Paper Tape
Views: 1,441
Message 7 of 8

@Feren  schrieb:

> We don't recommend you to use two adapters at the docking station at the same time since the Lenovo ThinkPad Thunderbolt 3 Dock Gen 2 135W is not designed to use two AC adapters on this docking station.

Nonsense - all of three docks are exactly the same. The difference is that “Workstation” variants come with two power adapters (170W + 65W / 230W + 65W) instead of one (135W) and a thunderbolt+power cable to carry extra power (as thunderbolt cable’s maximum is 100W).

Again, the docks themselves are same. 

Can someone confirm this? 

Sound it be possible connecting the 230W PS to the 65W connection and thus providing enough power for the TB3 cable?

Electr0
Paper Tape
Views: 119
Message 8 of 8

Has anyone tried to connect 65W adapter in addition to 135W adapter to the Thinkpad Thunderbolt Dock Gen 2 and get at least 4K@60HZ + 2K@60HZ?

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors