Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jonlenovo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 637
Message 1 of 3

FHD LED 1920x1080 screen failure on direct sun exposure

I adore my T520 15.6" laptop which I purchased at the beginning of 2012 (one year ago).

I upgraded to the FHD 1920 highest resolution screen and was amazed at the vivid colors and crispness.

Unfortunately, it died last week.

I was using it for about 1.5 hours with the morning spring sun shining on it.  The brightness was turned up to 15 (full) otherwise, I was on battery power and 'power savings mode'.

It flashed brieftly twice (barely noticeable), then the backlight went out about a minute later.  Upon reboot, I get a 1 beep (long pause) 2 beep error code.  I can't see anything on the screen anymore (tried flash light but looks like its' totally dead).  I bought another T520 (with 1600x900 resolution) and used it to confirmed that the screen doesn't work on another laptop (while the new screen works on both laptops).

Options?  Cause?

Should I try to swap the inverter out of the lcd?  Can I return just the LCD for warrantee?

Very surprising to see this fail as I thought it was the top-of-the line model.

joncordova
802.11n
Views: 536
Message 2 of 3

Re: FHD LED 1920x1080 screen failure on direct sun exposure

Are you in warranty? I doubt the sunlight had anything to do with the failure.

jonlenovo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 522
Message 3 of 3

Re: FHD LED 1920x1080 screen failure on direct sun exposure

Turns out that the LCD connector cable was faulty.  Ordered a new one off ebay for $10.  Oops, burnt a fuse on the motherboard too while inspecting the problem.  Had to fix that too.  Works well now!

Guess the key learning was the fact that the screen died so quickly, so points to hardware problem.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors