cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KayBeck
Paper Tape
Views: 244
Message 1 of 3

How to connect PCIe x16 cards (no graphic cards) to docking station?

Hello, I have to work with special PCIe cards (x1 up to x16), usually connected in a tower. I want to replace my old tower (E31) with a ThinkPad P51.

I was looking for solutions to connect PCIe x16 cards over USB3 and found some do-it-yourself tutorials, but I didn't find a kind of cloed box for 1 to 4 PCIe cards that I can connect to the ThinkPad Dockinstation.

I found a lot of threads concerning the extension of grafic cards for notebooks like:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/External-GPUs-on-P50-Mobile-Workstation-...

But I don't want to connect grafic cards. The PCIe cards are used to connect other 3rd party hardware. For example I need the card "ADLINK PCIE-GIE64" because I only got drivers for this device and I can't use the onboard network card.

Looking forward for advices how I can connect PCIe cards to the docking station in a "clean and not self-made" solution. Thank you in advance.

Guru
Views: 203
Message 2 of 3

Re: How to connect PCIe x16 cards (no graphic cards) to docking station?

Hi

I don't have experience on this area. But I think that the current way to include a modern graphic adapter to a laptop is with Thundebolt 3 support. With machines with Thundebolt 3 chipsets you can connect a "case" with PCIe slots with an USB cable. That is for graphics adapters that I think it demands a lot from the PCIe port.

The modern laptops only have  USB ports, so for what I checked on the internet, without Thunderbolt, to have an USB-2-PCIx adapter is not possible ro common. I don't know if there will be any crazy Mini-PCI card that allows you to connect external things on a laptop.

I can not guess and tell you if a device like the "ADLINK PCIE-GIE64" will work with Thundebolt on one those cases. I wish I would have some friendly neightbor with that hardware to test it out Smiley Happy

If you find something more about this, please post it back, I found this topic interesting.

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Self-proclaimed Trackpoint Fan Club President
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton
Remember: Your Friend Wil Declares....
Please click "Kudos" for Ego Boost !!

KayBeck
Paper Tape
Views: 172
Message 3 of 3

Re: How to connect PCIe x16 cards (no graphic cards) to docking station?

Hi Martin, thank you for your Thunderbolt 3 idea.

As soon as I got the permission to order the devices and when I have tested them I can tell you here if it works (for me). But this could take a "little" time...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors