Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tb3docktroubles
Paper Tape
Views: 323
Message 1 of 7

Issue with Lenovo Thinkpad Thunderbolt 3 Dock (Type 40AC) and external displays

We have an issue with many Thinkpad X1 Yoga (Gen 2, 3 and 4) laptops where their external monitors do not wake up after reconnecting the TB3 cable after undocking.

To reroduce the issue, the following process can be done:

1. Laptop is docked running dual monitors connected via 2x DisplayPort cables with lid closed

2. Staff member undocks laptop, opens lid and goes to a meeting

3. Staff member finishes meeting and closes lid and walks back to desk

4. Staff member docks laptop while lid is still closed

5. Power button light on dock turns from amber to white suggesting it has connected.

6. Charging light on side of laptop next to TB3/USB-C connector lights up

7. External USB Keyboard num lock light turns on

8. Monitors remain off (No signal found)

If the staff member opens the lid, the lock screen is there and the laptop is fully functional. E.g. you can use the USB keyboard connected to the dock to type. But monitors remain off. The only way we get the monitors to fire back up is to power cycle the dock.

Troubleshooting performed so far:

• Swapped out one DisplayPort cable for HDMI cable - same issue
  • The laptops are set to "never sleep" and the "close lid action" is set to "Do Nothing".

• The docks have been upgraded to latest dock firmware: 3.12.003

• The latest Dock drivers have been installed ( V10013 ) from Lenovo website on to the laptops

• Laptops are running Windows 10 1803 (November Cumulative update installed)

• The latest Intel Thunderbolt Controller Driver has been installed ( 17.3.73.150 )

• Disabled MST on Dell monitors

• Disabled power saving on Dell monitors

• Changed out DisplayPort Cables

This is impacting 20+ devices so far and we haven't had any luck getting them to work consistently. The same monitors work fine with other brand docks. We still have about 400 of these docks to roll out but can't when they can't even turn on external monitors properly.

Any other ideas?

MarcusTSG
Paper Tape
Views: 265
Message 2 of 7

Re: Issue with Lenovo Thinkpad Thunderbolt 3 Dock (Type 40AC) and external displays

I'm having this identical issue but with Lenovo P27h-10 Monitors and Lenovo X1 6th Gen Laptops.  Historically I don't recall having this issue then in the last two or three weeks its happening everywhere.  Not sure if it was a bios/firmware/driver/windows update but I have been unable to resolve it.

tb3docktroubles
Paper Tape
Views: 201
Message 3 of 7

Re: Issue with Lenovo Thinkpad Thunderbolt 3 Dock (Type 40AC) and external displays

Just a quick update, I have now also tried some more generic troubleshooting and performed the following:

Disabled Source Detection signal

On the monitor(s) itself:

• Input Select: disable Autodetection and select actual data input socket. In my case, DisplayPort and HDMI
  • DDC-CI: Yes

Disabled USB and PCI Express power management

Contorl Panel - Power Options - Change plan settings - Change advanced power settings:

• USB settings - USB selective suspend = disable
  • PCI Express - Link state power management = disable
  • Sleep and hibernation = disable

Left overnight, next day I got the same issue. However, when I changed the TB3 connector from one port to another the monitors did turn on. Progress, but definitely still an issue. 

tb3docktroubles
Paper Tape
Views: 165
Message 4 of 7

Still having same issues. I have now also tried:

• Changing Intel(R) Graphics Settings | Intel(R) Graphics Power Plan  to Maximum Performance on both battery and plugged in in Power Settings
  • Updated Intel HD Graphics 620 Driver to version 25.20.100.6373

Same issue this morning, computer wakes up,  screens stay off. Really running out fo ideas... looking into alternative docks to test with. Any non-lenovo recommendations?

Any one out there with a working TB3 Dock? What build version of Windows 10 are you running? What Graphics/Thunderbolt driver are you running?

Highlighted
bk3r22
Paper Tape
Views: 119
Message 5 of 7

I have been having the EXACT same issue for the last 2 1/2 weeks or so. 

For your questions about docks we have tested the TB3 Dock model 40AN it comes in two different configurations depending on your machine. 

Config 1. 235w power cord AND 65w powercord with a USB-C/TB cable together.  (we have these for P52)

Config 2. 135w power cord with regular TB cable.  (this has fixed the issues with our 370,380, and P52s) 

We don't WANT to buy all new docking stations to fix this issue so we are still troubleshooting. We are going to be testing another theory today and i will reply back and let you know how it goes.

tb3docktroubles
Paper Tape
Views: 48
Message 6 of 7

wrote:

I have been having the EXACT same issue for the last 2 1/2 weeks or so. 

For your questions about docks we have tested the TB3 Dock model 40AN it comes in two different configurations depending on your machine. 

Config 1. 235w power cord AND 65w powercord with a USB-C/TB cable together.  (we have these for P52)

Config 2. 135w power cord with regular TB cable.  (this has fixed the issues with our 370,380, and P52s) 

We don't WANT to buy all new docking stations to fix this issue so we are still troubleshooting. We are going to be testing another theory today and i will reply back and let you know how it goes.

Any luck with your testing? I have pretty much exhausted all options. However, I did notice something today:

If I connect my computer and have the issue where the monitors do not turn on and open the lid and work, the external moniters do seem to eventually turn on after 10-15 minutes. Next time this happens, I am going to review Device Manager to see what devices it can see/not see.

Other things I have looked at:

• Symantec Endpoint Protection. We use Device Guard but I removed the software from a few test machines and still had same issue. 
  • Dock power supplied as you mentioned. I checked and we have 165W power supplies with the dock and 65W with the machines themselves. 
bk3r22
Paper Tape
Views: 28
Message 7 of 7

No luck on our testing, we compared drivers, windows updates, lenovo vantage updates, brand new image with NO updates. STILL NO luck.

I did have 2 tickets open up with Lenovo support and spent hours on the phone, being transferred and them sending a "replacement" dock of same model and reported back with same issue and finally gave them the conclusion of how the NEW 40AN dock works flawlessly. After the days soent with them the concluded "We can not help you anymore than we have, we are unsure on why or how the docks are functioning like this." I even explained them the issues you are having and We weren't the only ones. They have been NO HELP at all through this issue. 

I will let you know on what we decide on doing over here.  

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors