Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zephyrfire
What's DOS?
Views: 53,386
Message 1 of 84

Lenovo OneLink Dock with Multiple Monitors

Hi,

I ordered an S431 (which only has one HDMI port for display output). I currently use two monitors from my laptop, and was wondering if the OneLink dock would allow me to continue to do so. Would I be able to connect to one monitor using the HDMI output from the dock and another from the laptop, or will using the dock disable the HDMI output on the laptop?

Thank you!

Michael_Y
What's DOS?
Views: 53,214
Message 2 of 84

Re: Lenovo OneLink Dock with Multiple Monitors

Yes, it allow to use HDMI from the dock and HDMI from laptop together. You can use your two monitors.
Actually you can also use your laptop LCD with two external together.
That means you have total 3 screen at the same time.
Try it, when you get it Smiley Happy
zephyrfire
What's DOS?
Views: 53,200
Message 3 of 84

Thank you very much!

jescro
What's DOS?
Views: 53,080
Message 4 of 84

Hi Michael, I just ordered 2 Thinkpad E431's with OneLink docks, with the expectation of adding dual monitors on each laptop. Are you able to confirm this setup also works with the E431? Much appreciated!

wditters
802.11n
Views: 53,001
Message 5 of 84

@Michael_Y wrote:
Yes, it allow to use HDMI from the dock and HDMI from laptop together. You can use your two monitors.
Actually you can also use your laptop LCD with two external together.
That means you have total 3 screen at the same time.
Try it, when you get it Smiley Happy

That sort of defeats the purpose. That is why I stick with the "classic" Lenovo USB 3.0 dock. There at least you can connect two (DVI) monitors to the dock. The Onelink concept is ruined by having to connect a second monitor to your laptop. Ideally, the Onlink dock would have 2(!) HDMI connectors on the dock itself, as well as an option to swap the Onelink cable for a USB 3.0 cable. The "classic" Lenovo USB 3.0 dock has this and therefore can also be used on Macbooks,which allows me to alternate between my MacBook Air and my X1 Carbon

Lenovo Premium Business Partner
X1 Tablet 3rd gen | i7-8650U | 16Gb | 1Tb | WWAN | W10 Pro x64 | Thunderbolt 3 Dock
cuba_guy
Blue Screen Again
Views: 52,764
Message 6 of 84

Ideal would actually have 2xdisplayport instead of hdmi, i'm worried that I won't be able to connect even one 2560 display to the dock with hdmi which is usually capped at 1920. It's similar with USB dock, it would be able to go up to 2560 with display link that is inside but it would need display port to do it, not dvi :/

AlphaG
Fanfold Paper
Views: 52,075
Message 7 of 84

cuba_guy,

I understand that you have successfully run a 2560 x 1440 monitor off of onelink HDMI? Is there anything special about getting this to work at full resolution? How is the lag?
cuba_guy
Blue Screen Again
Views: 52,042
Message 8 of 84

So far I only managed to run it straight from thinkpad yoga using mini-hdmi -> hdmi cable. I didn't get dock together with laptop because of courier error and should have it on Monday. I'm very casual gamer, probably not very sensitive to input lat, but i played mass effect yesterday and it was ok.

cuba_guy
Blue Screen Again
Views: 52,012
Message 9 of 84

Got the dock today and unfortunately it does not work (caps resolution at 1920x1080). I am sure it is a dock because if I switch the same cable from dock directly to yoga (with hdmi->minihdmi adapter) it works with full resolution Smiley Sad

oh lenovo why? i so much wanted it to work....

AlphaG
Fanfold Paper
Views: 51,899
Message 10 of 84

Well I was counting on using a large display at my desk, but if that display is limited to 1080p, I'm just going to get another convertible with a docking station that does support higher resolutions. The Thinkpad yoga looked so good to me otherwise. Thank you very much for the follow up...

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors