Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

External Displays, Options and AccessoriesDisplays, Options and Accessories
All Forum Topics
Options

128 Posts

10-22-2008

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

241 Signins

2214 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 2214
  • Message 1 of 12

Lenovo ThinkVision Pro2840m 4K no DisplayPort signal on POST

2014-07-13, 18:02 PM

Hi all,

I have a pair of the Lenovo ThinkVision Pro2840m 4K monitors since about 4 days ago, and very unfortunately I am encountering a lot of issues which I will be posting in separate messages.

My configuration is as follows:

System: Lenovo ThinkStation S10 with BIOS ver. 2WKT47AUS

Graphics: NVIDIA GTX670 by POV with BIOS ver. 80.04.19.00.04

NVIDIA: Drivers 331.82 (but have same issue with 332.21/337.88/340.43)

ThinkVision Display: Microcode LN3.01 with display driver ver. 1.0.0.0 (10/09/2013) installed

Connection: Cable connected on the DisplayPort of the display and on the DisplayPort of the GPU with the included in the box DP-DP cable. No other displays are connected to the GPU other than the Pro2840m.

Issue: No video signal during POST on DisplayPort

When powering on the PC, the display detects a video signal (else it would show 'DP No Connection - Check Signal Cable) and its power indicator goes from orange to green, then the 'Power Saving Mode' sign comes on (in the meantime the PC is going through POST) then the sign goes off and the power indicator turns back to orange. Then when the windows booting process is complete, the power indicator goes back from orange to green and the monitor displays the windows login screen.

As a consequence of this I can not enter the BIOS and RAID settings. It is obvious that I need to be using the DisplayPorts on both the GPU and display because only then I will be able to run 4K@60Hz. So switching to use other connectors on the GPU (even if they would provide signal) is not an option, as I will need to be swapping cables on and off each time I need to restart the PC just to keep an eye if for instance one of my RAID arrays has failed.

I really would appreciate it if anyone else having this display can replicate or has this problem too. Maybe someone from Lenovo support can ask their colleagues to try this with a similar setup to verify the issue.

If I have any updates I will certainly post them here on the OP.

Answer
Options

128 Posts

10-22-2008

241 Signins

2214 Page Views

Re: Lenovo ThinkVision Pro2840m 4K no DisplayPort signal on POST

2014-09-05, 17:48 PM

UPDATE

2 Days ago I received my second pair of the Lenovo Pro2840m 4K monitors with a newer manufacturing date (21-06-2014) compared to the first pair (20-05-2014). It turns out that the new pair have very pleasantly a newer firmware running.

Microcode LN3.06 appears to have addressed the major issue of no DisplayPort signal during POST. I have tested and can confirm to all interested that when running LN3.06 the issue is no longer present during a cold startup, restart/reboot and resume from hibernation.

I want to thank the dedicated hardware team behind the ThinkVision line, and I will proceed to obtain the new Microcode for my first pair of screens as well.

Replies(11)
Options

128 Posts

10-22-2008

241 Signins

2214 Page Views

• Message 2 of 12

2014-07-31, 6:32 AM

UPDATE

This issue is currently occurring when booting the system from its OFF power state (S5). When restarting windows (as the power line to the GPU/Display is not cut off) the DisplayPort signal during POST is not lost and so the display does display the pre-windows POST messages.

I kindly ask community members that own this same 4K display with a different system (configuration) to take a minute of their time to see if they too encounter this issue. This is the only way for me to know if this issue is not due to the display's firmware itself, but due to my own hardware.

Options

3 Posts

08-01-2014

UK

6 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 3 of 12

2014-08-01, 17:20 PM
I experience the same issue exactly as described. System is NVIDIA K600, DisplayPort, Windows 8. Indeed, after reboot it does display POST.
Options

128 Posts

10-22-2008

241 Signins

2214 Page Views

• Message 4 of 12

2014-08-02, 7:17 AM

May I ask you if you perhaps happen to encounter this other issue as well?

Answer
Options

128 Posts

10-22-2008

241 Signins

2214 Page Views

• Message 5 of 12

2014-09-05, 17:48 PM

UPDATE

2 Days ago I received my second pair of the Lenovo Pro2840m 4K monitors with a newer manufacturing date (21-06-2014) compared to the first pair (20-05-2014). It turns out that the new pair have very pleasantly a newer firmware running.

Microcode LN3.06 appears to have addressed the major issue of no DisplayPort signal during POST. I have tested and can confirm to all interested that when running LN3.06 the issue is no longer present during a cold startup, restart/reboot and resume from hibernation.

I want to thank the dedicated hardware team behind the ThinkVision line, and I will proceed to obtain the new Microcode for my first pair of screens as well.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

3 Posts

08-01-2014

UK

6 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 6 of 12

2014-09-05, 20:40 PM
Please share a link to the Microcode once it is available. Thanks in advance!
Options

21 Posts

04-30-2014

Sequim, WA

32 Signins

144 Page Views

• Views: 144
  • Message 7 of 12

2015-10-27, 19:01 PM

I have this issue as well.  POST BIOS was displayed with a HD7840 card, but not on GTX 960.

EVGA said to make sure that DP version 1.2 was selected.  It was.  that brings me to the other NASTY problem,

the OSD menu system barely works.  I have two of these monitors and they both are severly irratic responding to menu presses.  In fact, I cannot even get into the menu system.  (It i not locked).  

Also, I have heard that one cannot update the firmware on these monitors without sending them in.

Options

128 Posts

10-22-2008

241 Signins

2214 Page Views

• Message 8 of 12

2015-11-05, 19:33 PM

What microcode version are your units running on?

Signal on POST

If the units processed the video signal during POST with your HD7840, there is no reason why they are to blame for not doing it with your GTX960. The fact of the matter is that GPU's are getting smarter by the day. Most don't realise that a GPU supporting UEFI, acts in a different way than legacy GPU's. These GPU's take over the settings you introduce in windows, and keep them even if they are not connected to any PCI-e slot.

So in short:

1. Let device manager show hidden devices by following this guide
  2. Open the monitors tree in device manager, then right click and delete all your (faded and non-faded) displays in the list (no need to check the uninstall software box)
  3. Open regedit.exe and delete all folders under:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration
    In your case most folders will start saying LEN60B40, probably also some with SIMULATED
  4. Disconnect physically all video cables you have attached to the GTX960 outputs.
  5. Connect only the display you want to be the active display during POST. Windows will take care of the device install and registration, your GPU will also take over and register the configuration from windows to manage your settings.
  6. Try a reboot, and see if you get your display to process the video signal during POST. (if this step fails, you have probably a microcode older than LN3.06)
  7. If all went well, connect one by one the other displays to the GPU and configure their positions in windows, (without changing anymore your initial primary display from STEP 5).
  8. Reboot and test your configuration.

OSD Menu

To help you with your issues for this issue, simply upload a movie of what you are doing, and what you can not achieve to the internet, so I can see what and where things are going wrong. I do admit however that the touch buttons (depending on the power mode the display is in) become active after a short delay. Users can run into confusion, if they don't see any action when touching the leds, cancelling out their previous touches.

FIRMWARE

Sadly for some reason, Lenovo has decided not to release the firmware to public. The only way that I know of, for updating it, is to RMA the unit. There are however consequences to this, that you should consider carefully before deciding if it will be worth:
  1. The replacement unit is ALWAYS a refurbished unit coming from their repair shop. As such, the cosmetic state of the exterior is not guaranteed to be free of scratches or marks of wear.
  2. The internal components to these refurbished units are in almost all cases, a combination of various other units with different mfg date, revision etc. As such, it can turn out that the power board came from a different unit which had intermittent issues and therefor passed wrongfully a QC check, ending up in the unit you will receive. So in short, RMA units, tend to have always nasty surprises out of my own experience. From loose internal screws, to wrongly clamped wiring by the cover case (causing them to break).
  3. The panel of RMA devices may unfortunately also contain (more) dead pixels compared to your original unit.
  4. The registered ending-date of the warranty can also be in some cases, ahead of your original unit. Even worse, also out of my own experience, it can even been not registered in the database. Meaning that if 2 months down the road, you need to RMA it again, Lenovo will reject the request if they can't verify that the unit has active warranty. To fix this issue, you will have to again correct the date through the web (on a special page of their support pages).
  5. If you have RMA'd your original unit, you should not expect (which sadly sounds so silly to say it in this way, but its true) the replacement unit to work 100% out of the box without any issues. You MUST check and re-check ABSOLUTELY everything on the replacment unit (from speakers, volume keys, micro code revision, EDID's on all four inputs, loose internal parts, 24x7 power-on test, warranty status, shielding of the USB ports) to make sure you got a good unit free of any defects. In my experience, it might take up to 2-3 replacements, for receiving a 100% defect free unit after all. So be prepared.
Options

67 Posts

01-29-2012

New Zealand

161 Signins

991 Page Views

• Views: 991
  • Message 9 of 12

2017-02-14, 10:59 AM

Hi DutchIce

As far as I can tell, you are one of the few people who have managed to get a GeForce GTX670 graphics adapter to work on a ThinkStation S10. 

I just bought one as a project to turn it into a gaming machine.  I replaced the Quadro card with a GTX1060Ti  but I'm struggling to get past the beeping and then no POST problem. 

But then I only needed a GTX660 and saw your post and thought that might be a possible avenue to pursue. 

Is there anything special you did to get your GTX670 working? 

Thanks in advance

--------
ThinkPad X1 Tablet; ThinkStation S10; ThinkPad 10; ThinkCentre 57e; X200 Tablet; T60 Tablet; T60 15" Widescreen; T60; T40; 701C; 3 x Apple Newton MP2100; 2 x HP 200LX
Options

128 Posts

10-22-2008

241 Signins

2214 Page Views

• Message 10 of 12

2017-02-14, 17:07 PM

The S10 motherboard has a very poor BIOS implementation when it comes to Free Option ROM space. Whether a graphics card will boot or not on the S10 will depend if the GPU BIOS can secure the free Option ROM it requests from the mainboard BIOS. When Lenovo adds/removes/modifies code on each revision of a new BIOS some continuous free blocks become available or unavailable in the Options ROM space. Meaning that trying different BIOS revisions of the S10 will also have different results whether your GPU boots or not.

In my case, I found out that the particular BIOS revision (43A) allows the GTX670 to boot on the S10. I can more or less remember that the 4x PCI-e slot (blue slot at the bottom) works well in most cases with the GTX cards. Of course with the disadvantage of running at 4x instead of 16x. Whether you manage to fit it in that very tight space is a different story.

Eventually you might want to open a new thread on the ThinkStation board about your issue. I can respond you there.

Also view a thread about your exact same issue by another S10 user trying to get a Quadro 2000 to post years ago here.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms