Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

External Displays, Options and AccessoriesDisplays, Options and Accessories
All Forum Topics
Options

30 Posts

06-05-2014

Helsinki Finland

46 Signins

284 Page Views

• Views: 284
  • Message 1 of 40

Lenovo ThinkVision Pro2840m 4k monitor input lag

2014-06-05, 11:18 AM

Hi,

I bought this monitor a few days ago, and otherwise it's gorgeous, except it has irritating amounts of input lag. I'm wondering if  it's common to all these displays or if mine is broken.

I've talked to a few other owners of the monitor who said they haven't noticed any troubling lag, but I'm not sure if it's only because they use lower DPI settings in their mouse so it's less noticeable or if they're just more tolerant to it somehow. 

I'm using it on Windows 8.1. My GPU is Nvidia 660 Ti with 2GB of VRAM with the newest drivers available (337.88).

My CPU is a i7 920 @ 2.67ghz and I have 18gb of RAM on a Asus P6T SE motherboard.

I've installed the display's drivers according to the user guide ("have disked" the inf file for 2840m etc.)

I've looked at the specs and thus made sure the GPU is capable of running a 4k resolution.

I've tried to play around with scaling options (http://www.overclock.net/t/1388836/input-lag-in-nvidia-drivers), without any noticeable improvement.

I've made sure it's using DP1.2 from the monitor's settings. I tried switching to 1.1 and 30hz to make sure I'd know the difference, and it was a lot worse in terms of flickering (or whatever it's called when you move your cursor and it kind of warps small amounts toward it's destination instead of moving smoothly) and made it very obvious I am normally running it on 60hz.

I tried changing the color mode from monitor's settings to neutral from the default "reddish"

I've tried unplugging all other monitors and rebooting. Then lowering the 2840m's resolution to FHD level just in case it was a problem with the gpu underperforming, but the input lag didn't change one bit. I think it's very unlikely that the problem is in my computer lacking the performance needed.

I've tried waving the cursor around with an another monitor (a very cheap 21,5" FHD BenQ) in duplicate mode, and the input lag in Pro2840m was considerably larger. I didn't even know input lag is a thing with monitors before getting this one, since it hadn't troubled me ever before. 

Finally, I put the input lag tester (http://tft.vanity.dk/inputlag.html) to the lenovo and the cheap benq on duplicate mode on both monitors and took pictures, and the difference between the monitors was something between 60 and 70 milliseconds. which is as far as I know a HUGE amount. I took several pictures to make sure the results were consistent. Here is one of them:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4uvdnwjvq4uj2yx/20140604_224655.jpg

I'm afraid of blindly sending this for a warranty repair without making sure my unit is defective since I don't want to have it boomeranged back to me along with a bill because they couldn't find anything faulty.

I hope someone can help me with this. Thanks.

Answer
Options

30 Posts

06-05-2014

Helsinki Finland

46 Signins

284 Page Views

Re: Lenovo ThinkVision Pro2840m 4k monitor input lag

2015-02-25, 17:57 PM

So I called Lenovo a few weeks ago and within a week from that I had a new similar monitor brought to my door by a courier. That was cool.

This one says it has Microcode LN3.07 and seems to have less lag than the old one but it's still not perfect. But I guess it's good enough since my blood pressure isn't in a steady ascent when I use this one.

When I boot into linux the input lag seems to be a bit worse. Not sure why is that though.

The (afaik) cheapest 4K from Samsung that I use at work with a pretty similar computer performance-wise than what I have at home doesn't have any noticeable input lag in any environment, linux or not. So I wish the lenovo was as good. The  Samsung doesn't have an adjustable stand though.

I guess this problem is as solved as it'll ever be.

Replies(39)
Options

3 Posts

06-13-2014

Frankfurt, Germany

4 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 2 of 40

2014-06-13, 14:14 PM

I own this monitor. It does have a lag of approx. 40ms, according to my measurments. This is quite frustrating experience. 

Options

30 Posts

06-05-2014

Helsinki Finland

46 Signins

284 Page Views

• Message 3 of 40

2014-06-14, 21:20 PM

Yup yup I talked to a few more owners of the monitor and this seems to be a "feature". A huge disappointment and I'm stuck with the monitor and cannot return it back to the seller.

I definitely will be recommending against buying Lenovo products to everyone I work (software industry) and study (computer science) with until this is fixed (if ever).

I feel cheated since no other 600eur 4k's have this bad lag.

Options

3 Posts

06-13-2014

Frankfurt, Germany

4 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 4 of 40

2014-06-15, 16:44 PM

Otherwise, I must say, I like this monitor a lot, considering its price tag.

Another thing, that I noticed, in Windows via DP port the lag is somewhat less apparent. On my new Mac Pro via DP-to-miniDP it's much worse. But as far as I know and experience, OS X with AMD graphics on board desn't get along with 4K SST monitors. On my Mac over MiniDP-to-miniDP it simply doesn't work at all, black screen (monitor goes into Power Saving Mode). 

I wish that lag issue is solvable by firmware update or something.

By the way, getting a cored mouse might be a good idea :)

Options

30 Posts

06-05-2014

Helsinki Finland

46 Signins

284 Page Views

• Message 5 of 40

2014-06-15, 16:51 PM
Yeah, it's fine otherwise I guess.

Still, a friend of mine has Asus PB287Q 28" which cost 650eur while my Lenovo was 630e, and the Asus has no noticeable lag whatsoever.
Options

30 Posts

06-05-2014

Helsinki Finland

46 Signins

284 Page Views

• Message 6 of 40

2014-06-23, 13:15 PM
By they way the mouse definitely isn't the problem since I have two monitors plugged in and in the other one there is no input lag.
Options

128 Posts

10-22-2008

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

241 Signins

2214 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 2214
  • Message 7 of 40

2014-07-13, 17:01 PM

Tsarpf,

You didn't mention which output (on your GPU) and input (on your display) are you using. I'm sure you know you have to be using the DP connector between them for best results.

May I btw ask you to test for me if you manage to get a signal through-out your POST process (PC booting up) on your display when you have only the Pro2840m connected to your GPU using a single DP-DP cable? I don't, first screen I always get is the windows login. For some reason my display power indicator changes from orange to green when I just switch on the PC, then the POWER SAVING MODE sign comes on, then it goes back to orange untill windows login appears which by then goes green again.

I wonder if others have this problem too?

Options

30 Posts

06-05-2014

Helsinki Finland

46 Signins

284 Page Views

• Message 8 of 40

2014-07-15, 13:09 PM

Yes I'm using a single DP-DP cable.

I think I got it maybe once to show something and it had something to do with me plugging a lot of monitors in and out and booting a couple of times.

I don't remember what I was doing exactly, or have any idea what caused it, but I'm pretty sure I noticed the pre-windows (post messages (encryption login)) show up on the lenovo.

By the way I'm playing poker now on the monitor in multiple tables so I need my mouse to be fast so I can click all around the monitor quickly, and the input lag is **bleep**ing horrible. I'm disgusted.

Noticed the monitor has this vertical line of lag in the middle of the screen. If I move a window around the monitor, I notice when the window passes the middle of the monitor that the two sides are a bit out of sync. This happens when I boot up the computer, and it goes away if something resets the monitor or if I go to the monitor settings (the ones you access by using the buttons on the monitor) and for example select the single image PBP monitor mode (which according to the monitor should already be selected) which then resets the monitor or something.

Is there any hope this could be enough of a reason to return it as faulty? As I said there is a workaround, but still I have to do it *every* time I reboot the computer so it is pretty irritating.

Options

128 Posts

10-22-2008

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

241 Signins

2214 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 2214
  • Message 9 of 40

2014-07-15, 19:05 PM

Very wierd issues you are describing there. Have here none of that 'vertical line' problem. And also no lag what so ever on 3840x2160x30bpp@60Hz on DP. Is your Microcode LN3.01 too? Reading your descrptions, I think you either have to swap the GPU to test for your lag & vertical line problem, or take the display to a friend to test it with his PC.

I know too that if you boot the GPU on only one analogue display or so, shut it down and swap it with the Lenovo before the next reboot, then the Lenovo will keep the signal on DP during POST, but then on all reboots after that the Lenovo won't go on anymore.

So can you test by disconnecting all displays but the Lenovo on DP, to see if you after the 2nd reboot get DP signal during POST?

Options

21 Posts

04-30-2014

Sequim, WA

32 Signins

144 Page Views

• Views: 144
  • Message 10 of 40

2014-09-02, 16:46 PM

I get 40mS lag too.  When doing this test, I had to set the 2840m to match my other display, which is 1920 x 1080.  I wonder if running the 2840m out of its native mode affects this?

My issue isn't the lag, but jitter and tearing at 60Hz.  It's gotten better for some reason and I haven't seen an artifact in the hour or so I've been using it today.

I am using a Radeon HD 7870 / Windows 8.1 64 bit

Another oddity:  If I drag a window slowly across the screen, there's a vertical ripple.  This could be the display, the video card, or Windows.

-Robert

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms