cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PatrickSiegman
Fanfold Paper
Views: 728
Message 11 of 18

Re: Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 USBC 40AC0135US Review & Struggles. Help me NOT return this.

It appears to me that overall, the dock is working fine.

I am experiencing one glitch with my overall set up. Perhaps once or twice a week, the display settings for my three displays get mixed up when I am starting up my laptop. Instead of recognizing the display directly in front of me as my main display, my laptop recognizes my left display as the main display and also gets the displays out of order. It's easily corrected by opening the Display Settings window and rearranging the displays. 

I suspect that this glitch is due to a flaw in either the hardware or software of my Lenovo X1 Carbon laptop, rather than with the docking station. Maybe I'm wrong, but this just seems to me to like a problem with Windows Display Settings or with the way that my laptop recognizes the displays as the laptop starts up. I had the same problem with the Lenovo laptop and docking station that I had a couple of years ago at my old job.

This glitch seems to occur less often (i.e., once or twice a week) when I connect my main display to the dock using the Thunderbolt port on the front of the dock, and use the two displayport ports on the back of the dock for my two peripheral displays. If I reverse this, the glitch happens more often. I am guessing that that is because the thunderbolt connection gets recognized faster by my laptop. However, I'm just a user, not a software or hardware engineer, so I could certainly be wrong.

Ed10t
Fanfold Paper
Views: 671
Message 12 of 18

Re: Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 USBC 40AC0135US Review & Struggles. Help me NOT return this.

I am happy to hear the rev v2 is working better, I have no experience with the 2nd revision, One  thing to note tyxeron is that PatrickSiegman is not using dual 4k Monitors. I have not found a single post anywhere on any forum or any reddit post that proves the Lenovo X1 Extreme is working outputting dual 4k monitors with the laptop display being on (NOT MIRRORED)  all while being powered with just 1 Thunderbolt cable. the rev 1 actually worked for me  but not at 60hertz and not at 4k, its when you push 4k that the laptop started freaking out.

I did find a few redit post that states its a firmware issue where the thunderbolt driver does not match? or something to that effect. Not sure If i remember correctly so dont quote me on that, but the redit user mentioned its on Lenovo to release the updated drivers. I am really hoping this isnt some lenovo funny business holding off on drivers that only work with their own branded docks.. Its just really weird. Hoping someone chimes in on a succesful setup with dual 4k monitors.

COINCIDENTALLY I just got a notification early this morning from lenovo that there are some new intel updates available for my x1 extreme I will install them later and report back hoping this solves everything.

glimmersdad1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 647
Message 13 of 18

As I pointed out in my own recent posting ("Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 Dock 40AC0135US Losing Functionality"), I have the 40AC0135US dock and the only(!) function on it that works is dual high-res monitors. However, in order to get both (and my laptop screen at the same time) to work, I have to connect one via DisplayPort and the other by HDMI. I've been doing this for months and the configuration seems robust to reboots and re-connects, although the HDMI screen is subject to the momentary two-second blackouts that folks complain about in  related threads. Yes, ISTR that the manual says somewhere that you're not supposed to pair DisplayPort and HDMI usage but it's been working for me.

Does anyone have a suggestion for my lost-functionality problem?

--  Glimmersdad1

tyxeron
Fanfold Paper
Views: 473
Message 14 of 18

I have a followup question on this matter. Is is possible to connect all the peripherals (mouse, keyboard, headset,..) and dual monitors to the dockingstation and then plug it either into a laptop or a desktop pc, to be able to switch between them with the replugging of just a single cable?

dan717
Paper Tape
Views: 342
Message 15 of 18

Fantastic thread, love the level of detail. Now for some answers..

@Ed10t wrote: 

Any one running this docking station with two 4k monitors at 60 hertz off of one USBC cable care to share their setup and feedback/suggestions?

This is impossible. This docking station has only one DisplayPort 1.2 stream, which is split between the two physical DisplayPort connections, leaving you with two 4k monitors at 30 hertz refresh rate.

You can see this in Intel UHD Graphics Control Panel, under DisplayPort Topology. With 2 monitors connected to the 40AC dock, you will see port 1 has 2 monitors.

Ed10t
Fanfold Paper
Views: 286
Message 16 of 18

Quick update on this everyone,

So the driver/intel thunderbolt driver that i got on the x1 extreme did not address the issue with with the dock. One thing i noticed the new GEN 2 version of the dock that is stated is compatible with the x1 still doesn't do 1 cable to multiple 4k monitors. What lenovo has done is essentially merged both cables into one which is fine as long as it works, but it makes me question if the Lenovo x1 extreme has some sort of hardware limitations that Lenovo is aware of, since no one (That I know of)  has been able to connect the x1 extreme to ANY dock whether lenovo branded or not to output to dual 4k monitors @ 60hertz with ONE cable from the laptop that also charges the laptop.

So it seems Lenovo included a power brick that charges that laptop and connected it to the thunderbolt cable and made it into a dual port 1 cable.

So long story short I have not been able (nor anyone that I have read up on) to run dual 4k high resolution (60hertz) monitors that charges the x1 extreme off of one cable. Once it starts charging the laptop AND processing the video signal issues start/

dan717
Paper Tape
Views: 275
Message 17 of 18

That is weird. My 40AC dock does charge my X1 Carbon while running dual 2k @ 120hz, gigabit NIC, and 4 USB devices.

Ed10t
Fanfold Paper
Views: 255
Message 18 of 18

The x1 carbon has a integrated intel graphics while the extreme has an nvidia graphic card. The x1 carbon is a completly different laptop. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors