Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Message 1 of 16 (1,781 Views)

Lenovo USB-C Dock already EOL?

Greetings.  Long time lurker, first time poster.

Wanted to get some feedback on some troubling information I just received from Lenovo customer service.

I had placed an order for a USB-C dock (40A90090US) back in late January to complement my X1 Tablet (which I love, despite all it's quirks.)  I don't have the productivity module, and was elated to see that I could have a Lenovo-provided docking option without it.

When placing the order, the Lenovo web page, back then, stated that it would ship in the next business day.  That didn't happen.

I received an alert a couple weeks later stating that the order was delayed a couple of weeks.  No worries.  I've waited this long...

Today, I received an email saying that my order was canceled, with no reason given.  I called up customer service and was told that this dock is "End of Life."

Wasn't this docking station just officially announced in CES 2017?  Is this USB-C Dock really EOL already?

Hoping to get a follow-up call from Lenovo customer support to get more details/explanations, but I'm quite disheartened.  Anyone else here either have the dock or are pending receiving one from Lenovo?

Guru
Message 2 of 16 (1,733 Views)

Re: Lenovo USB-C Dock already EOL?

Looks like the ThinkPad USB C dock is still in pre-order; not sure why the agent told you it was EOL. 

Order retailers have the same info, with eta around 3/22 from those sites. Also, Lenovo's site now says ships in 4-5 weeks. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Message 3 of 16 (1,695 Views)

Oddly enough, I don't believe the USB-C dock is still in pre-order, as I have a co-worker who owns the dock, and had received it from Lenovo mid-January.

I did offer to the customer service agent the comment of "This USB-C dock was just released a couple of months ago," but was assured that the product is considered end of life.  Come Monday, Lenovo customer service is supposed to offer an alterernative product.

Guru
Message 4 of 16 (1,689 Views)

In their press release, they said it should be available in January, but all retailers have it as 'pre-order'... its really rare to put a product EOL just months of release; I think in a few weeks it'll be back in stock.

Here's B&H's listing btw: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1321673&gclid=Cj0KEQiAxeTFBRCGmIq_7rGt_r8BEi...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Message 5 of 16 (1,626 Views)

I received this in an email today:

We are contacting you regarding your order for 40A90090US- ThinkPad USB-C Dock - US. As a result this part has been cancelled/removed off the order as it is end of life and no longer available.

I gave Lenovo customer service a call, and they did verify that the USB-C Dock is EOL.  They gave no reason as to why (i.e., design flaw, manufacturing, etc.).

I was transferred to Lenovo sales to look into an alternative.  However, Lenovo sales was not aware of the EOL designation.  There is no other Lenovo USB-C dock available.  

I was advised to look into 3rd party retailers (Amazon, etc.) to purchase said dock, but if Lenovo Direct can't even supply this dock anymore, I'm uncertain I'd want to go third party, especially since there was no reason given for the EOL designation.

Anyone else encounter this problem?  Anyone have a good alternative for a USB-C dock for the X1 tablet?  I tried my coworker's Lenovo USB-C dock, and it did work okay.  Just had a few quirks.  Definitely not as fluid as my OneLink Pro to my X1 Carbon though.

Guru
Message 6 of 16 (1,605 Views)

Hi

It is very rare since the product is still for sale on the Lenovo shop site.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/itemdetails/40A90090US/460/702A4F2491DC427C929DC4D333C93DA9

I guess that if it would a problem, Lenovo would take it from the site very fast.

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
"Don't Panic"
Wil Wheaton
Remember: Your Friend Wil Declares....
Please click "Kudos" for Ego Boost !!

Guru
Message 7 of 16 (1,522 Views)

Correction, it says "Ships in greater than 5 weeks".

The " ThinkPad Thunderbolt 3 Dock" also says 4 to 5 weeks.

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
"Don't Panic"
Wil Wheaton
Remember: Your Friend Wil Declares....
Please click "Kudos" for Ego Boost !!

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Message 8 of 16 (1,498 Views)

Both the USB-C dock and the Thunderbolt 3 dock are no longer available on Lenovo's US page.  They are also not showing up on the Lenovo Canada web page.

Going directly to the product page for the dock now results in a:  "The product you are searching for is currently unavailable on lenovo.com."

I received an email earlier this week that stated:

Unfortunately, we haven't been able to ship all or part of your order. You are a valued customer, and we are working to ship your order as soon as possible.

However, if we don't hear from you within the next five days, Federal regulations require us to automatically cancel the remainder of your order. If you'd like to keep your order open, just send us an email by clicking below.

Sadly, clicking on the "Keep my Lenovo Order" netted no change aside from the original cancelled result on the order page.

I have to wonder if the Thinkpad 13 (which is the only Thinkpad that is currently labeled as compatible in the latest support matrix) will just be out-of-luck.

In my limited time with my getting my hands on the Lenovo USB-C dock, connected to my x1 tablet, I'd find it would completely freeze the tablet maybe about twice a day of normal use.  Otherwise, the dock was solid.  Have to wonder if it is a dock problem, or an x1 tablet issue.

In any case, R.I.P. USB-C Dock (40A90090US).  I hardly knew you.

Paper Tape
Message 9 of 16 (1,322 Views)

The USB Type-C dock is still available on the UK site. I was about to order one myself, ships in '7 days' and is currently £197.

Fanfold Paper
Message 10 of 16 (1,227 Views)

Something's up with the recently announced USB-C and Thunderbolt docks... here's my attempt at purchasing the Thunderbolt 3 dock:

• February 3 - Order placed for a ThinkPad Thunderbolt 3 Dock (40AC0135US)
  • February 13 - Your Lenovo order has been delayed. There has been a change to the estimated ship date for one or more items in your order and we are unable to ship them by the original date promised.
  • March 13 - Important Information About Your Lenovo Order. Thank you for your Lenovo purchase of the ThinkPad Thunderbolt 3 Dock. Your order is very important to us. Due to the popularity of this product, we are seeing a delay in shipments and are working to meet this increased demand. Your order is now on track to ship early April.
  • March 16 - Unfortunately, we haven't been able to ship all or part of your order. You are a valued customer, and we are working to ship your order as soon as possible. However, if we don't hear from you within the next five days, Federal regulations require us to automatically cancel the remainder of your order. If you'd like to keep your order open, just send us an email by clicking below.
  • April 5 - All or part of your recent order from Lenovo has been cancelled. Unfortunately, we were unable to complete this order. For questions, please call our Lenovo Sales Support at 1-855-253-6686. The products listed below [ThinkPad Thunderbolt 3 Dock - US] will not be shipped and no payment will be collected. If there are additional items in your order not listed below, you can continue to check the status using the Order Status link.
  • April 6 - We are contacting you regarding your order for 40AC0135US- ThinkPad Thunderbolt 3 Dock. As a result this part has been cancelled/removed off the order as it is end of life and no longer available. If you would like to purchase a different part or have additional questions, please contact our sales team at 1-855-253-6686 to speak to a sales representative for assistance or try Lenovo.com home page under Resources at the bottom click on "Where to Buy" to find Local Retailer and Reseller of Lenovo Products. We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused.

So... yeah. Smiley Frustrated

Top Kudoed Authors