Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

External Displays, Options and AccessoriesDisplays, Options and Accessories
All Forum Topics
Options

6 Posts

07-31-2021

United States of America

5 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 1 of 15

List of AES compatible stylus pens?

2021-08-02, 1:05 AM

I have been down the rabbit hole, through the looking glass, to narnia, and back again.

I cannot fathom why there are so many different digitizers (apple, unknown samsung, MPP/ntrig, EMR, AES, even the **bleep** "universal stylus initiative" just became its own stupid thing that means chromebooks get their own special pens now too) but the end result is this.

There are EMR styluses that are easy to find. MPP styluses are easy to find. Apple styluses are the same. Even USI ones are clearly marked.

But god help those of us that use AES. It feels like Lenovo just picked AES to force us to buy the precision pen and pen pro if we want any sort of upgrade. There is ABSOLUTELY NO descriptions on products as to whether they use AES, other than the godawful looking wacom bamboo. Who cares if it's technically a better digitizer. If I am stuck with the precision pen for my X12, I will hate it for art far more than my ancient surface pro 4 with 4gb ram and "worse" Ntrig, but a glorious Renaisser 520 pen. Right now I am stuck using a renaisser 520 tip that I chuck in a drill and grind thinner so it fits into my lenovo precision pen, which feels cheap, looks cheap, is long, heavy, unweildy, and because of the ridiculous AAAA battery, is as thick as the "learning" pencils we give to toddlers.

So let's stick our heads together. List (links to product pages if possible) all AES compatible styluses that you can think of. I know there may be little glitches and hiccups between software, but an AES stylus will make dots and squiggles on the X12, and an MPP pen will not. 

I'll start.

There's the LG wacom AES 2.0 here

The Bamboo Ink here

Options

5657 Posts

08-02-2018

Philippines

928 Signins

28794 Page Views

• Views: 28794
  • Message 2 of 15

Re:List of AES compatible stylus pens?

2021-08-02, 12:28 PM

Hello CMMDMD!

Greetings

What we recommend is to use this link as a guide in checking the list of tested compatible accessories of your device.

However, you can still wait for other users' suggestions and recommendations.

Regards

Jwes_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

6 Posts

07-31-2021

United States of America

5 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 3 of 15

2021-08-02, 20:13 PM

See, all of lenovo's AES pens are... terrible. They're all thick, ungainly, and cheap feeling with awful nibs.

The Lenovo Pen Pro also says it's "touchscreen only compatible" with some arcane "109" number. Is it going to be a fully-featured pen or not? 

And none of the pages mention if any of the products have magnetic integration to the side of the device. The precision pen does, but it's not mentioned on the page.

None of the pages except one even mention the diameter of the pen. and none of them mention the length. The size of the stylus is really important, as I hate the precision pen because it's too thick at 9.5mm, and far too long. 

The page also doesn't list any replacement stylus tips for any of the AES pens other than the included active pen with the X12. 

None of those pages also even list if the product is AES. So it just reinforces my entire point that we can't cross-reference other brands or aftermarket styluses, just making life miserable for those of us who simply want a stylus from another manufacturer to use.

I know it's not your fault, but there's absolutely ZERO reason this should be so difficult.

But I guess we can add (according to lenovo's product finder that doesn't actually mention if the styluses are AES or not)

Thinkpad pen pro in addition to the lenovo pen pro

And the active pen 2 and "active pen 2 with battery" - is one of these rechargeable and one uses a AAAA? If so, how does the rechargeable one charge up? The webpage is utterly useless.

Options

133 Posts

11-09-2015

United States of America

215 Signins

1966 Page Views

• Views: 1966
  • Message 4 of 15

2021-08-02, 20:59 PM

I wrote something to address this back in February for my Tumblr.

You can find the post here:

https://arthurhwalker.tumblr.com/post/643385243571781632/lenovo-pen-stylus-post-2021

I listed every feature and specification I could for AES pen stylus' I would recommend to people based on my own usage. This includes which ones are compatible with Wacom Nib Kits and so forth.

Hope this helps.

Arthur

Options

6 Posts

07-31-2021

United States of America

5 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 5 of 15

2021-08-02, 21:30 PM
Now this is helpful! More useful than anything on lenovo's website. I'm waiting on the delivery van to show up with my current gamble, but if that doesn't pan out, it's INCREDIBLY good to know that there is cross compatibility with the wacom nibs and various pens in the lenovo line (I think the hard, broad, horrid plastic nibs might be the singular biggest reason I detest the precision pen and included x12 pen) and in particular, that you mentioned the pen diameters, and the thinkpad pen pro is near my sweet spot of 8.3mm. Just a shame it looks so cheap and doesn't have magnets. How did it feel in the hand? Is it made of plastic or aluminum?
Options

133 Posts

11-09-2015

United States of America

215 Signins

1966 Page Views

• Message 6 of 15

2021-08-02, 21:43 PM

Shaft and pen cap third button are metal - tip, buttons, and charging port area are some kind of hard plastic. The USB charging port is still tight after all the abuse it has suffered. This particular pen [Part number:  4X80R02889] has traveled with me a lot, taken a lot of bumps and falls. It is one of the lightest (heft) in the line, but one of the more durable in my opinion.

I just got an X12 tablet as well. :)

Options

6 Posts

07-31-2021

United States of America

5 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 7 of 15

2021-08-02, 22:00 PM
Great to hear. How well do the thinkpad pen pro and x12 play together? No major software glitches? Is it possible to unscrew the tail piece and remove that ugly cheap clip? Only bummer is that Lenovo hasn't put the thought into making their laptops and pens universal for magnets. the one singular redeeming feature that I LOVE with the Precision Pen 1 and the X12 is that the X12 both has the magnets for keeping it off the table when I'm using my computer, and the pen loop to make SURE it doesn't go anywhere while it's bouncing around in my backpack or the cab of my ambulance. And the little magnet that holds the keyboard closed is pure. genius. It speaks wonders to just how incredible (apart from the FN-Ctrl key swap which is pants-on-head-ridiculous, and the keyboard having no automatic backlight setting when it gets dark) And how do the wacom tips it's compatible with feel when compared to the hard plastic war-crime that it came with? I feel like lenovo's tips in particular are what make their stuff so outright intolerable.
Options

133 Posts

11-09-2015

United States of America

215 Signins

1966 Page Views

• Message 8 of 15

2021-08-02, 22:30 PM

Ohh, I think you're talking about the Lenovo ThinkPad Pen Pro Part number:  4X80H34887. That's a heftier pen, that may register in the Lenovo Pen App as a Wacom branded stylus. (Specifically Wacom Ink) However, all the ability to customize barrel button functionality should be there. The X12 has the best Vantage / Pen App support of any product I've used from Lenovo. It has the "commercial" Vantage App, and the Pen Stylus App will identify any compatible (press the tip of the pen to the screen with the app open) and it'll show you the custom features, and let you change them.

Wacom Nibs kits are awesome. Compatibility with them is a must have for me.

That pen is compatible with the older Wacom Nib Kit, ACK42416. In that kit is a silvery gray tip that is basically the Excalibur of pen nibs I've used. Perfect tip resistance on chemically tempered glass.

Also, the Fn - Ctrl key swap can be remedied in the Lenovo Vantage App with a toggle in the Input & Accessories tab. It's a Thinkpad thing.

In that same menu is an option to define the F12 "User Defined" Star Key on the keyboard as well. I always like that on Thinkpads.

Options

133 Posts

11-09-2015

United States of America

215 Signins

1966 Page Views

• Message 9 of 15

2021-08-02, 22:42 PM

How well do the thinkpad pen pro and x12 play together? 

I just pulled out mine and tested it in OneNote, Adobe Fresco/Photoshop, Sketchbook Pro, Krita, all very good. Better than I though. I wouldn't have expected the older 2.0 to be this nice with newer digitizers. My experience has been the other way, but the X12 continues to impress me I guess :)

Options

5657 Posts

08-02-2018

Philippines

928 Signins

28794 Page Views

• Views: 28794
  • Message 10 of 15

2021-08-03, 21:58 PM

Thanks for sharing your review of the pens.
Here are likewise other references to add:

https://support.lenovo.com/ph/en/solutions/ht508862-how-to-use-the-buttons-from-your-lenovo-digital-pen

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/accessories/acc100180-notebook-pens-reference-guide

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/dc/pens?sort=sortBy&currentResultsLayoutType=grid

Jwes_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)