cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ABall
Fanfold Paper
Views: 270
Message 1 of 4

Need help configuring ThinkPad Basic USB 3.0 Dock.

Connecting ThinkPad P1 laptop (Windows 10) to Basic USB 3.0 Dock.

I downloaded and installed what i believe to be the recommended driver: generic_displaylink_driver_for_usb_docks_and_adapters_v8534900.exe.  The documentation claims I should see a ThinkPad Basic USB 3.0 Dock icon in the Windows notification area, which will allow me to configure secondary display connected to Dock's DVI port.  I see no such icon, only DisplayLink icon, which doesn't do much.  Also, I have DVI -to- miniDP cable, and video terminal claims No Signal.  I probably should try DVI-to- standardDP  and  DVI -to- HDMI, to see if that connection is recognized.  But what's the deal with the driver installation (lack of Dock icon)???  Is it FUBAR'd?  I uninstalled and reinstalled interspersed with Restarts several times with no diff in behavior.

I always say you have to be 5% smarter than the hardware your trying to use, but I just keep feeling DUMBER!

Highlighted
Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 220
Message 2 of 4

Re: Need help configuring ThinkPad Basic USB 3.0 Dock.

Hi ABall, and welcome to the Lenovo User Community!

First try the latest drivers:

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/pd028106

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
ABall
Fanfold Paper
Views: 188
Message 3 of 4

Wow, I had high hopes that a driver update would fix my issues.

With original driver install, I had ethernet and USB connection capability (mouse and keyboard), I just failed to successfully work out a secondary display via the DVI.

With this updated driver, I can't even get ethernet recognized.

This has been a considerable waste of time, and I just cannot justify experimenting with it any further. I think I'm going to return this hardware and request a refund.

Thanks for pointing me to the driver update, bananaman, it was worth a try!

Cheers, Andy

ABall
Fanfold Paper
Views: 169
Message 4 of 4

OK, got to the bottom of this.  It turns out that the Basic Dock is not on the list of docking stations supported by my ThinkPad P1. Mystery solved.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors