Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

External Displays, Options and AccessoriesDisplays, Options and Accessories
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

12-12-2014

UK

1 Signins

12 Page Views

• Views: 12
  • Message 1 of 2

Pro 2840 No mini DP detection on Macbook Pro 2014 from 'thunderbolt' port. Help!

2014-12-12, 15:58 PM

May have relation to this issue http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkVision-displays/Lenovo-ThinkVision-Pro2840m-4K-no-DisplayPort-signal-on-POST/m-p/1637198

The solution for which is apparently a firmware update (firmware updates are not public and require sending the monitor to lenovo.)

Now as far as I understand it, this monitor can display at 60hz over through it's mini display port. New macbook pros don't have a display port output, but have a thunderbolt output which the more astute among you will know is effectively the same thing as a mini display port output.

Now upon connecting the thunderbolt cable from my macbook to the pro 2840m, nothing happens. The monitor acts like it's recieiving no signal (although recognises the connection) and my macbook doesnt detect a new monitor.

I've had absolutely no luck finding a solution to this problem and given how common my hardware is I can't be the only one. Does anyone have any ideas? Stuck using the monitor at 30hz and I'd rather have a refund than continue on like this.

Thanks for reading!

Options

128 Posts

10-22-2008

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

241 Signins

2214 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 2214
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Pro 2840 No mini DP detection on Macbook Pro 2014 from 'thunderbolt' port. Help!

2015-02-05, 6:33 AM

Out of own experience I can say that the fault here is with your cable. For 4K@60Hz you absolutely need a TRUE DisplayPort 1.2 certified cable (be it DP, miniDP or Thunderbolt). I was supprised despite silly brands like StarTech.com, Intronics or ACT caliming their DP-DP cables to support DisplayPort 1.2, to experience for myself that in fact they didn't at all. I had to try 4 different cable brands, to finally find one DP-DP cable by Delock (from the 8277x family) which truely supported DisplayPort 1.2 signals.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms