Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pajamabob
Paper Tape
Views: 19,942
Message 1 of 41

Review ThinkVision LT1423p Touch Mobile Monitor

OK Folks, here is my review of the LT1423p wireless monitor.  Let me state a couple of things right up front.  First, I did not purchase this for digital art, I purchased as a second monitor for my  surface.  I decided on the wireless version based on the marketing claims of having a thin client wireless touch screen monitor.  Second, I so wanted to love this device.  The sales pitch was very good and the use cases this addressed were right in line with my needs.  So with that being said, on with the review.

Quality: Smiley Happy

Nothing but high marks here, while a bit heavy, due to the wireless module and battery, the unit is very well built and feels great in your hands.  The buttons are a bit tough to push with my fat fingers, but I suspect there will be very few accidental button pushes.  From a pure physical perspective, very nice unit.

Screen: Smiley Indifferent

The physical screen is very good, reasonable viewing angles, and decent color (from the perspective of a non artists).  The resolution takes a bit getting used to.  With all the full HD screens on all of my other devices, dropping down to 1600 x 900 seems like a step back.

Setup: Smiley Happy

Have to give kudos to Lenovo on this one, having all of the install software right on the device is very cool.  Connect the monitor to you PC via the USB cord, open the LT1423 folder in Windows explorer and the setup files and manual are right there.  After a bit of time installing and a restart, the monitor comes to life as expected.  Running via the USB cable, the LT1423p delivers what was promised.  a second screen that supports multi-touch and the built-in pen.

I have provided the good, now it's time for the ugly, and I mean ugly!

Wireless:Smiley Sad

While the wireless setup in the end was fairly straight forward, it is not intuitive and not very well documented.  After getting the wireless connection up and running I was very quickly horrified with the fact that touch and pen is not supported in wireless mode.  Even worse, the connection between the monitor and the PC keeps dropping out.  I a have great wireless network in my home with no connection issues on any other device.  My experience with the LT1423p wireless monitor is a complete bust!

In summary, avoid the wireless version all together.  I guess as an inexpensive pen-able display this might work well for those that need the device for digital art work.  Since I do not need an overpriced second monitor that must be tethered to my PC in order to support touch and pen, I will be returning to Lenovo.

A couple of other comments before I wrap this up.  First remember I talked about paring this with the Surface Pro, that is a real problem.  The USB output on the Surface Pro is so under powered that the monitor will only run on a very dim setting.  You will need to use the y cable and plug one side into the Surface charger.

Smiley Mad And finally, I must vent with regard to Lenovo sales.  The constant delays in shipping were ridiculous.  After a two month delay in shipping my order one of the support folks promised a 5% discount on my order and $100 in free accessories.  I followed up on these offers for two weeks with no further response of any kind from Lenovo.  So as much as I really wanted to love this device, the poor execution on the deliverables and the abysmal treatment from Lenovo sales, The monitor will be back on its way to Lenovo tonight.  Instead I will purchase the Asus MB168B+.  It is not wireless, but then again, the LT1423p might as well not be, but it does have a full HD resolution, is very light and is also USB powered.  Since I already have a touch screen, I really won't miss a second one.

Kitayi
Paper Tape
Views: 19,908
Message 2 of 41

Re: Review ThinkVision LT1423p Touch Mobile Monitor

I finally received my wireless monitor from Lenovo today as well, but it looks like I'll also be returning it tonight. I bought mine primarily because of the digitizer but it appears that pen pressure is currently non-existant in any of the software applications that I try, with Photoshop and Manga Studio 5 being the main disappointments. Drawing basic lines and circles also results in some pretty awful jitter.

I also seem to get lag randomly while using the monitor when it's plugged in, while wireless is just completely unusable at the moment with the amount of lag it has. Another issue is that pen/touch input only works properly on the monitor when it's setup to be the main display, otherwise pressing things on the monitor does nothing but manipulate what you have on your main display. 

I tried using the display on multiple computers in hopes that it would work better under different setups but I had no luck. I also have a Surface Pro I hoped to use this as a second monitor with but that's out of the question because of the low power issue pajamabob mentioned.

I'm sure over time Lenovo will iron out all of the awful awful software bugs this device currently has, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. I'm very disappointed that Lenovo released something so buggy and unusable. That just adds on to the countless delays and terrible customer support I encountered while trying to purchase this thing. I don't look forward to the return process, I'm sure that's lovely as well.

oranjoose
What's DOS?
Views: 19,728
Message 3 of 41

@Kitayi

You have to install the "Wacom feel" driver first, aka WinTab in order to be able to have pressure sensitivity in Photoshop.

I have created a thread in the tabletpcreview.com forum for this tablet, found here: 

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/hardware/60069-lenovo-lt1423p-review-owner-s-thread.html

I have also made a YouTube video review of it here:

http://youtu.be/vx_b1Lu5oi4

Kitayi
Paper Tape
Views: 19,722
Message 4 of 41

I'll check out your review! I have tried installing the driver but when it was installed my pen wouldn't work at all, just touch.

ctmac10
Fanfold Paper
Views: 19,697
Message 5 of 41

Everybody is praising the build quality. Can anybody confirm whether the body is made up of metal with rubber coating or plastic with rubber coating.

The youtube review mentions metal at some places.

Hope the owners are listening.....

oranjoose
What's DOS?
Views: 19,481
Message 6 of 41

The actual tablet is an all-plastic chassis from what I can tell, but the case/stand it comes with feels like metal.

ObiwanKenobi
What's DOS?
Views: 19,447
Message 7 of 41

I received my lt1423p a couple of days ago and I absolutely love it it....except for one thing.  I can't get the power button to power it off for anything.  The instructions say to hold down the button for 10 seconds to power it off, regardless if it is connected to the pc or not, but that does nothing.  When my PC is off, the monitor just flashes red, green, and blue continuously until I literally just pull the USB cable out.  Has anyone else run into this problem?  I would appreciate any suggestions.

As for a review, the device is absolutely fantastic once you get everything figured out.  I am running Windows 8.1 and apparently the DisplayLink driver that it uses is "iffy" on 8.1...which I discovered the hard way.  On initial setup, all I got was the "power saving" screen.  Windows recognized it only as a USB storage device.  I finally (after many hours of fiddling) discovered the instruction manual which is stored on the monitor itself (you have to enable hidden files and folders to see it....brilliant Lenovo....).  Nothing in there was particularly helpful, but it was nice to finally have a manual at least.  In desperation I tried using 2 USB 2.0 ports instead of the 1 USB 3.0 and 1 USB 2.0, and to my surspise that got it to work like a charm.

I am a graphic artist and bought this primarily for a Cintique alternative.  It works flawlessly in Photoshop and ZBrush (be sure to install the Wacom drivers as mentioned in previous posts).  The pressure sensitivity is perfectly adequate and has a nice feel.  I personally have no problem drawing on the gorrila glass surface, though I know some people prefer the textured Cintique feel.  At least I know I will never have horrific scratches on this.  The pen it comes with is a standard tablet stylus, nothing exciting but it gets the job done.  You cannot replace the nibs, but since you're drawing on glass, they won't wear down like on a Cintique or Intuous.  Wacom does sell a separate pen for tablets which supposedly has replaceable nibs, but I'm yet to get my hands on that.

It comes with a nice stand that props the monitor up at varying degrees, so you can choose to prop it upright for standard "sit at the computer" type work or lower it down to draw on your desk.  You can, of course, also place it easily on your lap.  If you're a big ZBrush user and need keyboard functionality, I would highly suggest getting a programmable gamepad for quick and easy access to the shift, ctrl, and alt keys.  If you can get one with a keyboard pad, that would be all the better (hotkeys are pretty much a must in ZBrush).  I'm currently using Cideko wireless bluetooth gamepad with built-in keyboard.  It does the job except I can't program the "alt" key to any button for some reason.  I can, however, program any gamepad button to perform any hotkey action other than alt, giving me more programmable options than a Cintique and a small full keyboard to boot.

I have absolutely no regrets buying this despite the headaches....but God help you if you need to contact Lenovo tech support....

bertlloyd89
Paper Tape
Views: 19,212
Message 8 of 41

@pajamabob wrote:  After getting the wireless connection up and running I was very quickly horrified with the fact that touch and pen is not supported in wireless mode.

Wow.

Is this right? It seems impossible.

Any word on if it might be fixed via drivers / firmware / whatever in the future?

cheetahdriver
Paper Tape
Views: 19,136
Message 9 of 41

I was able to run the unit with touch (not sure about pen) in wireless mode, but the delay is so bad on the touch in wireless as to make it very nearly unusable. Add to that the problems with the monitor timing out and powering down, then not waking up (the touch part does, but it reflects on the main display, the monitor does not), and it is very nearly unusable. I will be taking my 1421 on the next trip, this thing can stay in the desk until someone works out all the driver flaws and posts them.

Oh, and the 1421 and 1423 don't play nice when hooked up at the same time either. The digitizer on the 1423 defaults back to the main screen.

Darkmagistric
What's DOS?
Views: 18,947
Message 10 of 41

Been eyeing this display for awhile.....really disappointed to hear that Wi-FI option is so horribly implemented. Given the near year delay the product had, I was hoping they would have ironed those issues out. From the reviews on this thread....it seems to preform worse then it did when Lenovo first demoed it.

I do have a question for those who have the Wi-Fi version though......while the wi-fi is clearly not worth...Its Battery Pack might still make the extra $100 quite useful.

From the reviews I've read so far....the Wired LT1423p is firstly quite picky with the needed USB port as evident by this thread. While the option for using 2 usb 2 ports may work for some...when used with devices with a single USB port like the Surface Pro this is an issue. Other reviews I've read also indicates a pretty hefty thermal drain being put on the computer its paired with.

So if you use the Wi-Fi Model....but have it connected by the single USB connection, can it run off the Battery and more or less act as a Wired model with a battery?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors