Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EEKA
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,007
Message 21 of 46

Re: Screens flickering with Thunderbolt 3 Dock

Replaced my laptop, replaced the TB3 dock...nothing worked. Replaced the displayport cabels; this was the solution!...for a few weeks.

Yesterday, my laptop wouldn't wake up properly to show me the logon screen; one screen was black, the other blue, mouse was working on both screens though. After a laptop restart, everything worked again. This morning, i connected my laptop to the dock and turn everything on. Both my screens will not show any picture! Took me 10 minutes to fix this after several reboots and disconnecting all the power chords.

So Lenovo...are we gonna fix this problem any time soon?

snruebes
Paper Tape
Views: 2,972
Message 22 of 46

One update from my side: it seems that Dell has the same issue with their TB 3 dock, e.g. here:

https://www.dell.com/community/Precision-Mobile-Workstations/Precision-5530-and-TB16-black-screen-fl...

This makes sense as someone stated that the general design and the chips of both docks (Dell and Lenovo) are from the same vendor (DisplayLink).
So I think it is now time for Dell and Lenovo to put pressure on DisplayLink to fix this!

FLSF
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,920
Message 23 of 46

Which Windows 10 version are you all on? Colleague mentioned there were no issues when we were on a version prior to Windows 10 1803.

Only some user get a BSOD with DRIVER_VERIFIER_DMA_VIOLATION, the rest have the screen flickering issue.
EEKA
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,898
Message 24 of 46

1803 here but that doesn't matter much as we can't roll back. 

ITCorpUser
Paper Tape
Views: 2,820
Message 25 of 46

I have been having the same issue.  I have a X380 Yoga with the thunderbolt dock along with two 24 inch Samsung Screens.  I literally tried everything: Different Cables, every update and driver you could find, and different monitors.  

However, I finally found a solution for my setup.  I am using two power cords.  One power cord for the docking station and another one for my laptop.  I know it is not supposed to be needed and the thunderbolt port is supposed to provide power to the laptop but it appears the laptop is taking extra power away from the dock so it shuts down the dock causing the screen to crash.  By adding a power cord to my laptop it has eliminated my problems.  

Yes, it takes a little extra work to plug in one extra cable in addition to the thunderbolt cable but I needed a solution so I could get work done.  Having my screens shut off all the time was not helpful when I am constantly analyzing data on multiple screens. 

I hope this helps others get there docking stations to work.

FLSF
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,808
Message 26 of 46

@EEKA, I was trying to rule out the operating system version if it breaks the machine.

@ITCorpUser, I'll test this out and see if it works on my end, please stay in this thread and keep us updated if issues come up again. Which Windows 10 version are you on? None of the Windows 10 17xx versions have this issue.

MrCreator
What's DOS?
Views: 2,627
Message 27 of 46

I've tried to repalce power supply from dock with laptop one but still gettinb bsod. It was on all windows versions strarting from January. 

EEKA
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,279
Message 28 of 46

Installed the ThinkPad Thunderbolt 3 Driver for Windows 10, 7, 8, 8.1 (32-bit, 64-bit) V10015 drivers.

Installed the BIOS Update (Utility & Bootable CD) for Windows 10 (64-bit), Linux - ThinkPad X1 Carbon (Type 20KH, 20KG) 1.38 drivers.

Logged into my laptop, locked the screen. Came back and tried to unlock my laptop, just got a blue screen with a mouse (attachment) and no log-in window. Had to restart to fix this.

Way to go Lenovo...I will make sure my company will never buy this crap anymore.Photo 2019-06-03 10.01.53.588 AM.jpeg

FormFactory
Paper Tape
Views: 1,017
Message 29 of 46

Lenovo released a Thunderbolt 3 Dock firmware update today (Aug 12 2019 update), get it here:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/DS506115

It seems to have solved this problem for me, for now anyway. I also did a BIOS update and updated all drivers for my Carbon X1 6th Gen, I would recommend you do the same through the support website.

It was obvious this was a problem with the Dock itself. If you open the Windows Device Manager with the dock connected you could see (at least for me) the device list constantly refreshing - the dock was connecting/disconnecting devices constantly. 

From the release notes on the Aug 12 firmware update, the following fix:

2. DP : leaf_firmware_tbt3_Ver3_13_002.eeprom
		a. Fix the DP monitor keep flicking issue due to monitor keep reporting LIF

Hope this helps. 

Highlighted
MrCreator
What's DOS?
Views: 981
Message 30 of 46

I am getting this:

ThinkPad TBT3 AR Docking Station FW Utility v1.0.0.20