Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jscriv
Paper Tape
Views: 1,732
Message 41 of 63

Re: Screens flickering with Thunderbolt 3 Dock

I'm in the same boat as the rest of you and have been for about a year. There is no solid fix and some driver updates work for a bit but fail aftwards but it's more than just the flickering. These docks are so tempermental and one day my screen flickers the other my keyboard stops working I've even had the CAT5 cable not work from time to time. 

I work for IT in a medium size business and we've moved form older T220's to the new X1 Carbons 5th and 6th gen. We are getting about 2 or 3 calls per day that something isn't working on these docks. I've tried all the suggestions from updating drivers to replacing equipment and some work for a little bit but the issues always seem to come back. I myself am on my 4th docking station and 5th computer and still having issues.

I wish we could go back to the old docking station that physically connected to the laptop.

Highlighted
PReimer
Paper Tape
Views: 1,660
Message 42 of 63

I feel like this is some kind of trauma support group. My names Paul and I've been using a T470s on the TB3 doc for almost three years...

I've experienced almost all of the symptoms listed here. Screens shut off for two or three seconds, sometimes every few minutes, and sometimes every twenty or thirty minutes but sometimes it's fine for months.

Sometimes it will doc the laptop but never take input from keyboard and mouse. That is almost always resolved by undocking and redocking the laptop with the dock button.

I've always docked it closed screen with its own power supply. HDMI to DP factory cables included with dual HP monitors. Dock power is the big one that came with the dock. Laptop power (always connected) is the smaller travel adapter that came with the laptop.

The last time this was a big issue, moving the dock side of the TB cable to the front TB port on the dock fixed it for many months. That's all I did. It was also an issue very early on and that time the only thing I changed that stopped the flickering was literally just flipping the TB cabled ends, laptop to dock and dock to laptop. This most recent time I've noticed a big change in the frequency by just flipping the TB cable ends upside down. They had been branded side up, now they're blank side up, and this has reduced the frequency from every five minutes or so to once an hour or less and was the only thing I've changed. It doesn't make sense at all to me but the change in the frequency is dramatic and has always been the only change I've made.

I wanted to mention this because I hadn't noticed anyone saying they had replaced the TB cable itself or had similar experiences with just making basic changes to the orientation or using the front vs. rear port.

I plan on getting another cable and having it on hand to see if replacing the cable helps the next time it gets bad or eliminates it entirely.

Hope this helps some of my fellow TB Screen Flickering PTSD sufferers.

Cheers,

-Paul

FLSF
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,628
Message 43 of 63

I have swapped the cable and the dock entirely to narrow down the issue and it hasn't helped. I haven't trying using the cable upside down as you mentioned, but I'll give that a try.

FormFactory
Paper Tape
Views: 1,620
Message 44 of 63

Like others in this thread I have done all the recommended updates, changed my cable, provided power to both the dock and my PC and nothing works. I still get the monitor flashng problem about once every 2-3 days. It is solved by unplugging my dock for a minute, and occassionally requires me to do both that and a reboot of my laptop. I am convinced the dock simply sucks - there is a hardware or firmware flaw that Lenovo has not or cannot fix. My plan is to buy another non-Lenovo TB3 dock and try that. If it works well I'll update the thread. If anyone had TB3 dock recommendations then let me know. Thanks.

BDO
Punch Card
Views: 1,495
Message 45 of 63

Love the PTSD description from Paul above, as this is exactly how I am feeling right now... 

I am experiencing the intermittent disconnects, using a fully up to date T480s (Vantage + manually applied TB updates recently released). The only hardware the dock is driving is a ThinkVision HDMI monitor - which I have now unplugged and removed from my desk, as the frustration is outweighing any improvement to my workflow. 

The one thing that bothers me is that I cannot seem to update the FW of the dock itself, as the utility never detects the dock, even though it is connected and driving the monitor. Bizarrely however, Vantage shows a FW update applied to the dock...

This is the worst Lenovo product I have ever experienced.

Any idea how to escalate this?

FLSF
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,368
Message 46 of 63

Okay so we had a Dell 1080p monitor connected to the Thunderbolt 3 Gen 1 Dock and the user had zero flickering issues. We provided him an HP Z27 4k monitor and he's getting non-stop flickering issues. Maybe these docks can't drive 4k? Is anyone else using a 4k setup with flickering issues? Anyone with a 1080p monitor with flickering issues?

That being said, we just ordered a Thunderbolt 3 Gen 2 Dock with an X1 Carbon 6th Gen, we've had zero flickering issues so far.

snruebes
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,009
Message 47 of 63

I can not confirm this - I use a ThinkPad Thunderbolt 3 Workstation Dock which seems to use the same chipset as Thunderbolt 3 Dock Gen 2 as Lenovo offers the same firmware/drivers for both models.

Attached to the dock via USB-C is a Lenovo Thinkvision X1 4K display as it has an USB-c port and a display port.

Wenn I connect my Dell Precision 5520 Notebook to this dock via Thunderbolt 3 cable I have 0 flickering, but the same notebook flickers when I use a Displayport cable from the dock to the monitor!

When I attach a T480s to the dock via Thunderbolt 3 cable and use the USB-C cable from the dock to the monitor like for the Dell where it did not flicker it flickers heavily!!!!

Both machines running Windows 10 1903 64 Bit with all the latest drivers, BIOS and patches

So my conclusion here is that it must be certain combinations of machine/Bios Thunderbolt drivers and Dock firmware which are causing these issues - Thunderbolt under Windows seems to be still very instable - still in Alpha state - Intel as the inventor of Thunderbolt and third-party vendors made a very lousy job here and no one seems to care as the already sold the devices!!!

Zanzz
Fanfold Paper
Views: 998
Message 48 of 63

As posted earlier, the screen flickers whenever there is a slight intensity in the use of the graphic memory like scrolling through a document especially on MS office application and adobe reader. My Dell laptop when plugged in to the dock did not experience the flicker only on the T470.

So, I pursued this issue with Lenovo and they sent someone to troubleshoot on site as I had warranty on the laptop, the engineer could not resolve the issue but suggested to replace the dock as he could not update the firmware.

He came back to replace the dock with a new one (updated to latest firmware) and now it seems to work without any flicker (3 days so far). Although they said they upgraded the firmware for the dock, lenovo vantage still detect the dock as not updated and everytime I update it, the update will still appear again. I am using a T470 and ThinkPad Hybrid USB-C with USB-A Dock. Hope this information helps.

EEKA
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 859
Message 49 of 63

Hadn't had much problems for a while, till someone else logged on to my laptop yesterday. This morning i came to work, turned everything on but my screens just wouldn't turn on, no matter what i did. Threw the replicator in the garbage...not my money anyway...and got another replicator...never getting Lenovo crap myself!

EEKA
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 828
Message 50 of 63

new replicator is a piece of crap as well, making one of my screens flicker again...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors