Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
John464
Fanfold Paper
Views: 477
Message 1 of 6

T480s and ThinkPad USB-C Dock Gen 2 screen flickering issue

Hello,

We have five new T480s (Windows 10) with 5 new docking stations (https://support.lenovo.com/ca/en/solutions/acc500106), they all have the same screen flickering issue, sometimes the monitor is not even detected.

We updated all drivers / firmwares on both the laptops and the docking stations, some of them use HDMI, the others DisplayPort, monitors are from different brands.

To top if of, since this morning we have someone with a "DisplayPort Topology Notifications" message coming every few minutes.

Aren't the dockings supposed to be fully compatible with this laptop model?

Thanks,

Jonathan

John464
Fanfold Paper
Views: 427
Message 2 of 6

Re: T480s and ThinkPad USB-C Dock Gen 2 screen flickering issue

I called Lenovo support and they are absolutely clueless about what to do here, they tried to send me a laptop screen replacement, LOL. When I told them that this is not going to resolve the issue, they asked me to hold on, transferred me to the HOME level 1 support and closed my ticket.

Can I please have a professional answer? Or is Lenovo going to keep selling incompatible products and hide behind broken scripts? I feel like a monkey would be able to do a better job over the phone.

Thanks,

Jonathan

kjinxx2
Paper Tape
Views: 389
Message 3 of 6

I'm having a similar issue - I was able to get rid of the screen flicker by reducing the resolution of my 3rd monitor to an incredibly low resolution... I'm not able to get 3 screens to work @ 1080P on my brand new T590... can't seem to find any support.. suggestions?

Highlighted
John464
Fanfold Paper
Views: 287
Message 4 of 6

Still waiting for a solution. Please let me know if the only way to fix the issue is to return my laptops / docking stations and go with another brand.

Thanks,

Jonathan

kjinxx2
Paper Tape
Views: 280
Message 5 of 6

I found the issue... it turns out that my laptop (and assumeably yours, Jonathan) only supports DP 1.2 while the specs listed on the USB-C Dock Gen 2 assume that the laptop supports DP 1.4... there's a ton of fine print that goes on to say that DP 1.2 has limited support but it isn't very clear... even the sales/customer service people have no idea what they're talking about... required a ton of research on my part..

At the end of the day I return the dock and purchased the ThinkPad Thunderbolt  3 Dock Gen 2 and it works like a charm. It's a little more expensive but actually works. Make sure you plug that cable (the same as USB-C) into the Thunderbolt 3 port (the USB-C port that is not the power port).

Hope this helps

Ken

John464
Fanfold Paper
Views: 262
Message 6 of 6

Thanks Ken! I will check this out. Hopefully it will be the end of it.

Have a nice day Smiley Happy

Jonathan

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors