Options

9 Posts

06-11-2019

ZA

23 Signins

187 Page Views

• Views: 187
  • Message 1 of 2

ThinkPad 170W workstation dock stopped attaching after recent driver and Windows updates

2019-12-13, 8:59 AM

Dear all,

After the recent Thunderbolt Software package update to 17.4.80.550,  but more probably Windows Insiders Slow ring update to Windows 2004 build 19041.1, my ThinkPad 170W workstation dock does not attach anymore.

In other words, I connect it to my ThinkPad X1 Extreme (gen1), and the external displayport comes on, and the laptop charges, but none of the attached USB ports are visible. The dock does NOT show up in the thunderbolt attached devices ever.

When I select "about" from the Thunderbolt icon in the systray, it shows all software versions and also the thunderbolt controller specs (e.g. NVM Firmware version 36.00). See screenshot below.

In the Windows Device manager, I can see under "other devices" the entry "Thunderbolt(TM) Controller - 15EB". When I click to see properties, it shows "no drivers are installed for this device".

When I attempt to update drivers, I see the error message: "Windows found drivers for your device but encountered an error when attempting to install them --- Fatal error during installation". Super helpful of course.

I have power cycled the dock and the laptop, also to no avail. BIOS assist for Thunderbolt is set to OFF in the BIOS.

I did look at the recent critical thunderbolt updates announcement here: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/HT508988 -- but the X1 Extreme is not listed.

Does anyone else have any ideas?

P.S. what's also interesting, is that Lenovo Vantage keeps on offering the Intel Thunderbolt Software update, after it has seemingly installed the exact same update a number of times now.

Options

9 Posts

06-11-2019

ZA

23 Signins

187 Page Views

• Views: 187
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: ThinkPad 170W workstation dock stopped attaching after recent driver and Windows updates

2020-01-03, 6:58 AM

Arrived back at work today with dock still not working.

On a whim, right clicked the thunderbolt device, then removed it, then scanned for hardware updates.

TB controller found, dock detected, permission asked to connect, and we're back in business!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save