cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gkorobkov
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,193
Message 1 of 6

ThinkPad Compact Bluetooth Keyboard with TrackPoint - Scrolling stops working (in VS2017)

I have Lenovo ThinkPad T470p laptop with
 - ThinkPad Compact Bluetooth Keyboard with TrackPoint and
 - ThinkPad Bluetooth Laser Mouse and
 - Windows 10 Pro

I've encountered with the following issues:

It appears that when I'm trying to scroll anything in MS Visual Studio 2017 - scrolling with Middle Button and TrackPoint (pointing stick) stops working at all.
And more over it does not work in all other apps until I do relogon or reboot .
Also I see the same behavior for ThinkPad Bluetooth Laser Mouse - scroll/wheel does not work.
So it seems VS somehow breaks scrolling. And probably any app can break it.

Any ideas how to solve this issues?

My hardware configuration :
 - ThinkPad Compact Bluetooth Keyboard with TrackPoint
 Driver: 1.5.5.0
 ThinkPad Compact Bluetooth Keyboard with TrackPoint Driver.jpgThinkPad Compact Bluetooth Keyboard with TrackPoint

external keyboard settings.jpgexternal keyboard settings

ThinkPad Compact Bluetooth Keyboard with TrackPoint System Drivers.jpgThinkPad Compact Bluetooth Keyboard with TrackPoint System Drivers

- ThinkPad Bluetooth Laser Mouse
 Driver: Lenovo Mouse Suite 6.86

ThinkPad Bluetooth Laser Mouse Driver.jpgThinkPad Bluetooth Laser Mouse

ThinkPad Bluetooth Laser Mouse System Drivers.jpgThinkPad Bluetooth Laser Mouse System Drivers

- Windows 10 Pro
 Version 1709
 Build 16299.192
 Intel Core i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz
 RAM 32GB

- Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2017
 Version 15.5.6
 VisualStudio.15.Release/15.5.6+27130.2027
 Microsoft .NET Framework
 Version 4.7.02556

rutko1mp
Paper Tape
Views: 1,655
Message 2 of 6

Re: ThinkPad Compact Bluetooth Keyboard with TrackPoint - Scrolling stops working (in VS2017)

I created an account just to say that I also have this issue. I've put way too much time trying to figure out a work around rather than posting as you did, so thank you. With that said, maybe some of the things I've figured out might help your daily workflow a bit...at least until we get an answer on this.

1. If you uncheck 'ThinkPad Preferred Scrolling', the middle mouse button works within Visual Studio.
    • I ended up getting an VS extension that simulates middle mouse scrolling...I think it's called 'Auto Scroller 2017'.
    • The only thing that really sucks about this is you have to manually check/uncheck the box every time you're not working within VS (or any app that causes the HScroll app to crash). I'm sure this could be automated if you felt inclined to do so...but that's not something we should have to do.
  2. If you forget to uncheck the scrolling box before trying to scroll in VS and HScroll crashes, you should be able to launch a new process. Still not ideal, but it's better than having to completely reboot your computer.
    • Find and run the HScroll exe - Example: C:\Program Files (x86)\Lenovo\ThinkPad Compact Keyboard with TrackPoint driver\HScrollFun.exe

Hope that at least helps a little until we get an answer on this issue.

Lenovo Employee HeyEric
Lenovo Employee
Views: 1,354
Message 3 of 6

Re: ThinkPad Compact Bluetooth Keyboard with TrackPoint - Scrolling stops working (in VS2017)

Out of curiosity, does the scrolling work as expected with the keyboard on the ThinkPad? As a die-hard TrackPoint zealot, I can understand how that would become VERY frustrating. 

Based on the drivers for these devices, my expectation would be that it does NOT work with the native keyboard.

rutko1mp
Paper Tape
Views: 1,342
Message 4 of 6

On my ThinkPad W541 and ThinkPad T500 the built-in TrackPoint works just fine.
cjnconor
Paper Tape
Views: 815
Message 5 of 6

I have a bit of a bandaid for this issue. Since Lenovo seems to be insistent on not fixing this issue (despite updating their driver in July), I wrote a quick PowerShell script to re-enable the process that allows for scrolling if it gets disabled from VS. 

$Hscroll = Get-Process | ? Name -eq "HscrollFun"

If ($Hscroll -eq $null){
Start-Process -FilePath "C:\Program Files (x86)\Lenovo\ThinkPad Compact Keyboard with TrackPoint driver\HScrollFun.exe"}
else {
"running"
}

You can throw this .ps1 file into Task Scheduler or your taskbar or whatever to alleviate the scrolling issue whenever it gets disabled. The most ideal solution would be Lenovo either fixing this years old issue or making their driver open-source so others can fix it, but I guess this will work too  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Test1234565
What's DOS?
Views: 312
Message 6 of 6

I have also this problem, it would be very nice, if you can solve it fast, because I buying this keyboard also for programming and the fast scrolling while programming.

Thank you a lot!!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors