Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Arcady
Fanfold Paper
Views: 209
Message 1 of 7

ThinkPad Pro Docking Station (40AH0135EU) and X1 Carbon G6 20KH issue

Hi,

I have follow issue on subject. Several times per day docking station going unexpectedly to disconnect displayport and power delivery, wherein no power interruption observed in any way. It looks like docking station power is lost, but all of usb ports and ethernet port continue to work normally and doсking station power light is on, wherein laptop is on battary mode and external monitor have no signal. Return to normal mode can only obtained with turn off and on docking station power.

Laptop, docking station, thunderbold firmware and all of drivers renewed and up to date.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

BR, 

Arcady

jonas_h
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 175
Message 2 of 7

Re: ThinkPad Pro Docking Station (40AH0135EU) and X1 Carbon G6 20KH issue

Same Problem here with my x280. I suspect the firmware update for the docking sation last week is the culprit. Did you also installed a new firmware?

Edit: 

Arcady
Fanfold Paper
Views: 128
Message 3 of 7

Hi,

Yes, I'd intall new dock firmware also, but after the issue appeared. Initially I made the laptop firmware upfate from 1.31 (stock) to 1.34 (current), because Lenono Vantage said "this is urgent"... And have PD and external monitor issue same day. Dock firmware update to 2.0 (as well as thunderbold firmware update) I made as attempt to improve the situation. Now I have all firmware and drivers up-to-date and problem still appearing with random times and intervals... Some day it happens some times, some day all work fine. Now I making the experiment. As I mean while some last days, the issue not appearing if I power on dock station firstly and docking laptop next...  Probably not appearing Smiley Happy I certainly understand that this is partly shamanism and doesn't solve the issue. The issue can be solved by Lenovo only... of course if Lenovo turns attention to us.

By the way how to see current firmware version on dock, thunderbold and etc?

BR,

Arcady

jonas_h
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 116
Message 4 of 7

I agree that @Lenovo has to solve this issue. Quick.

I tried to downgrade the firmware, but the installer did not allow me to install an older version. I guess there is a way to force install it, but so far I haven't looked into it any further.

@Arcady I looked up the FW version in Lenovo System Update. Click on 'View installation history' below 'Advanced'.

PS: While writing thius mere 4 lines, my screen went black 4 times. I am getting crazy here.Smiley Frustrated

Arcady
Fanfold Paper
Views: 83
Message 5 of 7

Lenovo almost never allow the firmware to be rolled back Smiley Sad

X1 Carbon does not supported by System Update, it is not in download list. I'm using Vantage only.

Today morning I replaced external monitor from Benq Gl2460 to Philips 243V (243V7QDSB) and got new oddities.  While observing the main issue, after the power manually off andd returns to the dock, when the monitor tries to get out of sleep mode, the situation enter to cycle. It looks like when the monitor tried run from sleep mode, the power from the dock is disturbed, while the new behavior - after 1-2 seconds, the dock tries (by it own) to return to normal mode, and the monitor is already enter to sleep mode. Further the monitor goes out of sleep mode - PD on dock is broken again and so in the cycle. It was possible to get out of this cycle by jerking the monitor on power. The conclusion from this can be made something like this - the DP hub on dock is trying to track the monitor state to sleep and from sleep mode, but does this so oddly that PD from dock to to the laptop is disrupted.

So far, I hurt that by paying very expensive I got some semi-finished product, I was left alone with the problem and it’s almost impossible to prove to the service center that the dock doesn't work. And even I prove, there is no guarantee that the new dock wouldn't fail as well as this one.

jonas_h
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 43
Message 6 of 7

The issue might have to do with Chrome in my case. I noticed that I only have this issue while logged in the zopim chat admin interface in Chrome.

Second monitor (through HDMI) using Chrome for all other webapps / pages is running flawlessly. Next thing I try is to disable hardware acceleration in Chrome.

Arcady
Fanfold Paper
Views: 26
Message 7 of 7

I think the problem may be that HDMI is used on the external monitor. I observe the issue on single external monitor (connected via its HDMI port) when use Microsoft Word (2016), Vivaldi browser and may be in several other conditions (it's hard to remember exactly as the first feeling after the issue happen is anger).

I'm planning to check the issue on external monitor via DP connect. Unfortunately, this is a rather expensive experiment for me, because I don't have DP external monitor, so necessary to buy it.  

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors