Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Welcome to the Forums!

Welcome to Lenovo's Peer-to-Peer Discussion Community!
Please note our guidelines. How to register and login and Community FAQs.

Help Lenovo Shape the Future of PCs

Take the ownership survey. Share your ideas with our product team

Community Spotlight

Visit the Community Blog

Are you ready for Windows 10?

Get to know Windows 10
Visit the Windows 10 Support Center
Highlighted
Paper Tape
0 Kudos

ThinkPad SATA HD drive Bay Adapter III - compatibility questions

[ Edited ]

I've ordered a ThinkPad W510.  I will be swapping out the primary 320Gb 7200RPM HDD with a 2.5" SATA2 solid state drive.  This 320Gb 7200RPM will serve as my secondary HD for data using a ThinkPad SATA HD drive Bay Adapter III.  I have not been able to find any significant information or confirmation regarding the following :

1)  Do I need any specific adapter in my primary slot (e.g., 1.8" to 2.5" HD caddy, etc.) in order to swap the primary HD with a 2.5" SATA2 SSD which I will be using as my primary O/S partition ?

2) What are the maximum HDD specifications that I can use in the ThinkPad SATA HD drive Bay Adapter III for my secondary data HD.  For example, I would like to know if I can put a 1TB 7200RPM SATA3 HD in the ThinkPad SATA HD drive Bay Adapter III.  Is the ThinkPad SATA HD drive Bay Adapter III SATA I or SATA2 specification and will it be backward compatible with the aforementioned 1TB SATA3 HD ?  If it is backward compatible, would I lose any HD functionality.

Any information would be much appreciated.

Shawn

Lenovo Employee
0 Kudos

Re: ThinkPad SATA HD drive Bay Adapter III - compatibility questions

Lenovo Support has technical information on notebook hard drives, solid state drives and Bay Adapter III. This is the Lenovo Support link: www.lenovo.com/support/notebook/harddrives  

I will also request assistance from our engineers.

For more information on accessories, visit: www.lenovo.com/accessoriesguide