Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
delh
Paper Tape
Views: 5,451
Message 11 of 18

Re: ThinkPad Thunderbolt 3 Dock with Macbook Pro Touchbar

i'm sorry I wished I could help ... I still can not get the second screen to be extended using the dock. When I first purchased I was able to use it for both my Think Pad t480s and MPB. Currently works for my Think Pad and not the MPB. If anyone finds a work around please do share, I also reached out to Display Link they pushed back saying tht the Thurderbikt 3 Dock is not their product... wondering if Lenovo has found a driver or update for this 

mhw23
What's DOS?
Views: 5,439
Message 12 of 18

How are the monitors connected to your dock (which ports)?  I"m just trying to learn.  You said it work for both computers at one point.  DId it just suddenly stop working one day?  Could it be a MacOS issue?

delh
Paper Tape
Views: 5,433
Message 13 of 18

ports I used for both screens HDMI to DP ... it worked well for few months not sure which IOS it was at the times, roughly around May 2018 it worked fine, since new IOS came out it just stopped working, everyone claimed it was a display link issue... however it turns out display link fixed this, and its issue with the dock not supporting MPB. I have yet to find a solution to make it work, it may be MPB does not support the docks drivers,

mhw23
What's DOS?
Views: 5,425
Message 14 of 18

There is a driver you can download on the Displaylink website which supposedly works for some people but it did not work for me.

GroovesMcFly
What's DOS?
Views: 5,088
Message 15 of 18

@Hench Hooking up my second display using the thunderbolt3 connector on the front totally fixed this more me. Thanks for posting this solution!

Gringopeeg
Paper Tape
Views: 3,873
Message 16 of 18

Wow. This might be the 'holy grail' single cable solution for the 'extended desktop across two monitors' setup I'm looking for too. Can you detail your set-ups  @hench @groovesmcfly please?

Can you confirm its just the one thunderbolt cable from the Mac Book Pro Touchbar to the dock then a standard DP cable out the back of the doc to monitor 1 and a Thunderbolt to DP cable from the SS Thunderbolt port on the front of the doc to the monitor 2? Does the System Prefences > Display > Arrangent setting now show three monitors or just the two?

And finally.....

You're getting power to the Macbook though that single cable connection to the dock as well?

Sorry for all the questions!

Regards,

GP

Pykee
What's DOS?
Views: 2,565
Message 17 of 18

Hi everyone,

Sorry for reviving a pretty old thread but I just wanted to post confirming that since the release of MacOS Catalina Beta, I have noticed that the dock does in fact work. It supports two DisplayPort Monitors from the back of the dock, It charges from the power source, Ethernet works fine, And USB.

I have the DisplayLink 5.1.1 Driver installed.

If you are having no luck with MacOS Mojave, perhaps you can hang on until Catalina, or alternativley the public Beta is available now.

I am using a 2018 Macbook Pro With Touchbar 13". 

jenaelyn
What's DOS?
Views: 694
Message 18 of 18

Shoot. I just downloaded the beta version and am still having problems. My specs are very similar to yours. Do you have your laptop in clam shell version? or open? Either way for me.. its not recognizing my second monitor (which works as I've tested them both individually. I am doing port cables on both. Any thoughts?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors