Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
Message 11 of 23 (48,118 Views)

Re: ThinkPad USB 3.0 Dock - Does not recocgnize external monitor after upgrade to Windows 8.1

How can I find the display link web page to get the 8.1 driver?

Paper Tape
Message 12 of 23 (48,108 Views)

Re: ThinkPad USB 3.0 Dock - Does not recocgnize external monitor after upgrade to Windows 8.1

I am having the same issue.  I google'd online about displays not being recognized in general and it said to go to the manufacturers website: http://www.displaylink.com/support/downloads.php  so I did that, and it fixed the display issue but then my wired LAN stopped working on the dock and we don't have wireless at the office.  Then I rebooted and my two eternal displays and my laptop display were all solid blue, then I did a control alt-delete and chose task manager or something and that fixed it temporarily.  I did a system restore back to the old driver and have my wired LAN working but no displays.  I called support, they said call Microsoft.  I feel a company such as Lenovo that has teaming agreements with Microsoft should have access to development kits and beta versions to test this stuff and should be writing their own drivers.  Anyhow, I have switched back to my old HP and will retire this X1 as it seems lenovo has no near-term solution and I need this for my business.  It's ironic as in the device manager it shows the two USB displays and says they are functioning fine, but they clearly are not...

What's DOS?
Message 13 of 23 (48,092 Views)

Ok.  Got this working.  It was a little complicated.  First thing to do is reboot the machine, then go to windows update, and install the updated display driver (Intel).  Then install the 7.4 release of display link.  Be careful, they have a version 7.4 for Windows 8, and a different one for windows 8.1.

That updates the display link driver, and updates the firmware on the Lenovo USB 3.0 Docking station.  Once that all completes, a few seconds later, windows tells you it sees a new display, and that lets you configure that display for extended desktop, or however you like to use your second display.

Key points - start at windows update AFTER installing/upgrades to 8.1 finish.  There is more to get for the X1 carbon touch.  That isn't enough though - but at that point Windows will say it sees your second monitor, but it will be black.

Only when you have then successivelly installed the 8.1 version of Display link driver version 7.4, will you be whole.

So far my wired network is holding (connects via the dock), and my USB devices are holding steady.  Hoping it stays this way.

Token Ring
Message 14 of 23 (48,034 Views)

I was having the display problem on my ThinkPad Twist with the Thinkpad USB 3 dock too. It worked on Win 8.0 64 bit perfectly but when I upgraded to Win 8.1 (RTM) 64 bit the USB-attached HDMI display didn't work. I updated the ThinkPad USB 3 Dock software to the latest and that didn't fix it, but updating the DisplayLink software with DisplayLink_7.4_M2 from the link mentioned in this thread fixed it for me. I do have another prob with the USB3 dock, but I'll raise that in another post as it's unrelated to the display itself (I think!).

Thanks to all who posted solutions in here, it really helped.

Paul

What's DOS?
Message 15 of 23 (47,446 Views)

Did you ever find a resolution to this? I just "upgraded" to win 8.1 and now my monitors are not working. I have the same docing station as you.

Thanks,

Jason

What's DOS?
Message 16 of 23 (47,442 Views)

Sorry that last post was directed to utterdev who thought he was at a dead end,

Thanks!

Jason

Paper Tape
Message 17 of 23 (47,438 Views)

Hi!

This isn't going to be helpful but the answer is Yes, there is an easy fix, that I don't believeot required any new drivers. Unfortunately the fix was applied by one of my IT guys and I wouldn't be able to share off the top of my head. I will drop by his office today when at work (if I remember) and see if he is in and can remember the steps.

Cheers.

What's DOS?
Message 18 of 23 (47,416 Views)

Okay well that gives me hope! I reaaly appreciate any iinformation you or he can provide. 

Thanks again!

Jason

What's DOS?
Message 19 of 23 (47,406 Views)

I got it! So under Device Manager there was a Warning icon beside the NVIDIA adapter - when I clicked on it to search for new drivers it said that it was up to date. After restarting the computer at this point, both monitors started working. Go figure.

Thanks,

Jason

What's DOS?
Message 20 of 23 (46,911 Views)

danro wrote:

Then install the 7.4 release of display link.  

Had the same issue. Installed the 7.5 version and boom. External monitor is recognized!! thanks. this works.

Very dissapointed that the Lenovo System Update doesn't offer this update automatically!

Top Kudoed Authors