• Think Pad E485
  • Think Pad E580
  • Think Pad E585
WWest
What's DOS?
Views: 1,050
Message 22 of 30

Re: ThinkPad USB-C Dock 40A9 - External Display flickering issue

We bought about 50 of these Pro Dock (40A7) units.  Some of them will not drive a monitor, or the monitor video turns on and off.  In these cases, after swapping parts, it seems to be the USB 3.0 cable.  If I find a good USB 3.0 cable, I can take it to any non video working station and the monitor starts working. 

Bill @ an Elementary School

tuanikan
What's DOS?
Views: 847
Message 23 of 30

I updated my 40A9 dock with this update and tested it with my X1E (X1 Extreme) and it appears to have solved my display flickering issue. I have about 8 hours of use with it and I used to experience display flickering about once every hour. Display flickering for me was that the screen would go black for a couple seconds and then come back.
Starquest
Fanfold Paper
Views: 614
Message 24 of 30

I'm on the 40AH dock and had these same problems: displays going black and white pixels flickering.  I updated to the latest firmware (n20pf03w.exe), and that fixed it for a few days, but now both problems have come back, and worse than before.

What is wrong with these docks?

Starquest
Fanfold Paper
Views: 599
Message 25 of 30

I tried running the firmware update again, doing only Check FW.  It said that I didn't need to update (which I expected).  After doing this check, the white pixel flickering problem is gone (at least for the moment).  The FW update utility does something to the dock even when you don't update the FW itself.

tuanikan
What's DOS?
Views: 587
Message 26 of 30

Since the last time I updated using the utility in this thread the flickering has come back but I have auto update enabled on my Lenovo Vantage. It has updated my BIOS once or twice now since I last posted. Farily disappointed

sh71
What's DOS?
Views: 468
Message 27 of 30

I had exact same setup with HP Prodisplay P222va and exact same issues - screen flikering + white dots flashing.

I cannot even use link provided here - gives me 502 - Web server received an invalid response while acting as a gateway or proxy server.

sh71
What's DOS?
Views: 466
Message 28 of 30

Could you or someone else provide link to this utility? the one provided by lenovo support is not working anymore and the issue is still there.
Highlighted
Gyffes
What's DOS?
Views: 212
Message 29 of 30

Installing the Intel management firmware update 11.8 fixed the issue on one of our malfunctioning docks, but not another (where the sparkles were really fierce).

Today I slowly replaced parts on that dock and lo-- it was the USB-C cable between dock and laptop that seemed the culprit, because as soon as I put in a "known good" cable, problem was solved.

I'm a little sad Lenovo would be shipping such cruddy components.

Starquest
Fanfold Paper
Views: 139
Message 30 of 30

I got a 40AJ dock a couple weeks ago so I could use three external displays.  The new dock was fine until today when I started getting the white dots and the monitors cutting out.

So I ran the firmware update.  The Check worked, but the Update failed because it timed out (don't know why).  However, the white dots and black screen problems are gone for the time being.

Seems like just running the check in the firmware update fixes the issue at least temporarily.

Hope this helps someone -- just keep running the update Smiley Happy

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors