Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

External Displays, Options and AccessoriesDisplays, Options and Accessories
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

05-23-2021

Canada

2 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 51 of 57

Re:ThinkPad USB-C Dock Gen 2 and multple monitor problems

2021-05-23, 5:33 AM

N/a

Options

1 Posts

06-01-2021

United States of America

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 52 of 57

2021-06-01, 23:41 PM

If you have not done so already, try moving the dock to a different USB-C port on your laptop. On my wife's Thinkpad the power adapter USB-C port is the one nearest the back. We thought it was interchangeable and at some point used it for the dock. The other USB-C port provided power, however that configuration caused the HDMI monitor conflict. When switch back the problem went away.  Hope all else is well!

Options

12 Posts

06-08-2014

United States of America

15 Signins

117 Page Views

• Views: 117
  • Message 53 of 57

2021-06-17, 20:38 PM

We have multiple models of monitors from Dell that are not working on the 40AS gen 2 dock.

Systems are T14 connecting the the 40AS Gen 2 dock.

There was a recommendation from another poster to confirm these were updated:

Firmware for the dock itself

Driver for the dock itself

Drivers for the thunderbolt controller on the laptop itself

We ran the current dock drivers & dock firmware (as of today 06/16)  plus Lenovo System Update. The system, T14 model, and the dock are all up to date.

The monitors on DisplayPort will blink and show screen for about 3 seconds, then blink and screen is gone. This happens repeatedly. The monitors are fine on gen 1 docks. We are using the DVI to DP cable and/or adapter in both configurations, but the Gen 2 docks just will not work with the monitor.

Does anyone have a suggestion? I tried to open a case and was told that since this happens with multiple docks, the dock isn't the issue and the monitors are incompatible. However the phone support person was unable to provide a compatibility matrix. Since other Dell DP 1.2 monitors using passive cables work on the Gen 2 dock, I was perplexed that certain models of Dell monitors will not. Even more perplexed since the same monitor/cable works fine on the Gen 1 docks.

The most recent firmware notes indicate multiple DP updates to address monitor issues. That leads me back to believing the product needs to be tweaked via firmware but I can only prove that my monitors are fine on Gen 1 and fail on Gen 2, so that's an educated guess.

Thanks!

Options

1 Posts

07-06-2021

Russian Federation

2 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 54 of 57

2021-07-06, 9:40 AM

Had the same issue with multiple monitors. I was able to resolve it by changing the refresh rate. So I set one of external monitors to 75Hz (its default) and another to 60Hz. And there was also laptop monitor which I left unchanged. So alltogether 3 monitors. Was working fine till I installed latest driver update for dockstation... Now I can't see 2 external monitors. Played with refresh rate didn't help...

Options

1 Posts

07-20-2021

Germany

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 55 of 57

2021-07-20, 9:33 AM

I have been using a Lenovo Thinkbook in combination with the ThinkPad USB-C Dock Gen 2 and 2 screens for about 6 weeks. From one day to the next, the screens were no longer recognised. I spent a lot of time troubleshooting, installing new drivers, restoring backups, calling Lenovo support, and and and.... Nothing worked, not even the solutions suggested here.Finally, with the help of computer scientist friends, I found another solution:

1. Removed the docking station
  2. Activated the option "Disable Building-in Battery" in the BIOS => the notebook switches off.
  3. Reconnected the docking station
  4. Switched on the notebook
  5. Screens are recognised again

Maybe this solution will also help someone else.

Options

10971 Posts

08-17-2015

Slovakia

26844 Signins

587375 Page Views

• Views: 587375
  • Message 56 of 57

2021-08-04, 15:06 PM

@ tl-wb wrote:

I have been using a Lenovo Thinkbook in combination with the ThinkPad USB-C Dock Gen 2 and 2 screens for about 6 weeks. From one day to the next, the screens were no longer recognised. I spent a lot of time troubleshooting, installing new drivers, restoring backups, calling Lenovo support, and and and.... Nothing worked, not even the solutions suggested here.Finally, with the help of computer scientist friends, I found another solution:

1. Removed the docking station
  2. Activated the option "Disable Building-in Battery" in the BIOS => the notebook switches off.
  3. Reconnected the docking station
  4. Switched on the notebook
  5. Screens are recognised again

Maybe this solution will also help someone else.

Hi tl-wb,

glad to hear that you got your monitors to get recognized by the docking station again. Thank you very much for sharing this method with us.

Best regards,

Juraj
German, Czech & Slovak Community Lead

EN : Welcome to the Community! Have you already participated in the forum survey? Please, let us know what you like about our forum and what we can improve. We listen to your feedback!

DE : Willkommen in der Community! Hatten Sie bereits an der Foren Umfrage teilgenommen? Wir benötigen die folgenden Informationen. Wir hören zu und lesen Ihre Kommentare gerne!

CZ/SK : Vítejte v Komunitě! Už jste se zúčastnili našeho průzkumu fóra? Potřebujeme následující informace. S radostí posloucháme a čteme vaše komentáře!
_
Communities: English Deutsch Español Portugues Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Moto English
_

Options

1 Posts

08-04-2021

Canada

4 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 57 of 57

2021-08-05, 22:51 PM

Have the same dock, on current firmware v1.0.8.03231.

External monitors work when the dock is connected to laptops that support power delivery over USB-C, including Lenovo and other brand laptops.

When the dock is connected to computers that don't support power delivery over USB-C, the external monitors are not detected. Other than video/external monitors not working, everything else (audio/NIC/USB hub features) works.

When the same computers are connected to a USB-C dock of some other brand, external monitors are dectected and work.

This leads me to think that the ThinkPad USB-C Dock Gen 2 stops negotiation about Alternate Mode Display Port when Power Delivery is not supported by the computer. Is this possible? Can this be fixed by changing some settings? Or will this be fixed by future firmware?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms