Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

External Displays, Options and AccessoriesDisplays, Options and Accessories
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

10-10-2019

United States of America

1 Signins

41 Page Views

• Views: 41
  • Message 1 of 55

ThinkPad USB-C Dock Gen 2 and multple monitor problems

2019-10-10, 16:41 PM

got a brand new ThinkPad 490s and the usb-c gen 2 doc and i cannot get multiple monitors to work through the doc.

with one monitor through hdmi, it displays fine on the laptop and on the monitor.

with one monitor through the displayport, it displays fine on the laptop and on the monitor.

with bother monitors connected (one hdmi, one displayport) it only outputs to one and windows display settings show the 2nd monitor is 'not active' though it does recognize that another monitor was plugged in and shows that model number.*

updated the docking stations firmware and installed the drivers on the laptop. didnt help

ive seen other people saying they did get several monitors working through the docking stations so i know its possible..

can i not use 1 displayport and 1 hdmi port at the same time?

*all monitors set to 1920x1080 so there shouldnt be a resolution issue with this setup

Answer
Options

1 Posts

01-15-2021

United States of America

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0

Re:ThinkPad USB-C Dock Gen 2 and multple monitor problems

2021-01-15, 15:23 PM

I was struggling with this too, and we finally got it fixed by the fine folks at Lenovo Premier Support.

The key issue is there are multiple firmware and driver updates that DO NOT automatically get downloaded/installed by Lenovo Vantage, Lenovo System Update, or even by Lenovo's website using the Lenovo Bridge to scan your laptop and auto install updates.

Specifically there are the following:

Firmware for the dock itself

Driver for the dock itself

Drivers for the thunderbolt controller on the laptop itself

What you have to do is go to pcsupport.lenovo.com and either have it auto-detect your laptop or put in the serial number.  It'll take you to the product's page.

Click on Drivers & Software on the left, click on Manual Update, click on Chispets, and download:

- Intel Chipset Driver for Windows 10

- Intel Thunderbolt Driver for Windows 10

- Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI) driver for Windows 10

Once those are installed you'll want to search the specific serial number (or model number) of the dock you have along with the word "download"

This will take you to the download page for the dock, where you should find both a firmware update for the dock as well as a driver update for the dock.

Download & install both, then reboot your PC.

Following the reboot things should just work.

Replies(54)
Options

2 Posts

10-30-2019

United States of America

2 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 2 of 55

Re: ThinkPad USB-C Dock Gen 2 and multple monitor problems

2019-10-30, 12:10 PM

Having the same problem.  Using a Lenovo P52S with the Lenovo USB-C Gen 2 dock.  Connected 2 HP 27f monitors.  Worked fine for about two weeks then stopped.  Computer still charges via the USB-C.  Wireless mouse and keyboard connected via dock still work.  Control panel/displays shows both 27f monitors connected, but will not detect or display when "extended" selected.  I've updated Windows, and the dock S/W and firmware.  Both monitors work when plugged into the P52S HDMI port.  Neighbor comes over and plugs in his Macbook and everything works fine.  Ugh!!!  Any suggestions (other than buy a Macbook)?

Options

10 Posts

12-31-2019

Canada

12 Signins

171 Page Views

• Views: 171
  • Message 3 of 55

2020-01-06, 20:48 PM

Did you ever get this working? I am having the exact same issue. Only one monitor at a time in the dock. As soon as a second monitor is plugged in, it doesn't show..

Any resolution - if you have one - would be appreciated.

Options

7 Posts

08-07-2018

Norway

18 Signins

191 Page Views

• Views: 191
  • Message 4 of 55

2020-01-07, 13:01 PM

Hi,

Have you tried to "duplicate" instead of extending, and disabled the internal monitor?

Had a problem with plugging in a third monitor recently, this made it work, but had a problem with flickering afterwards... (T480 USB-C Gen 2)

Also, using the Intel control panel instead of Windows settings might help aswell.

Options

5556 Posts

04-25-2008

United States of America

39906 Signins

765688 Page Views

• Views: 765688
  • Message 5 of 55

2020-01-07, 15:12 PM

Just checkin': You aren't trying to use these DP and HDMI ports at once are you? That wont work.

From https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/options/thinkpad_thunderbolt3_ug_en_201812.pdf

Hope this helps!

USB-C: Just cos it fits don't mean it works.
I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Options

2 Posts

01-21-2020

United States of America

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 6 of 55

2020-01-25, 0:36 AM

Actually you posted a picture of a totally different product, the Thunberbolt3 dock.

The original poster was enquiring about the Thinkpad USB-C Dock Gen2 as per the thread title.

Please find attached the proper screenshot of the display compatibility matrix which show to which ports monitor combinations with certain resolution thresholds may be connected to reach the optimal potential of this docking station.

Also please note the check the particular matrix with the same DisplayPort version as your laptop outputs via DisplayPort Alternate Mode on USB Type-C Connector.

As I read the matrix, if your computer supports even the lower spec (Displayport Alternate Mode via USB-C version 1.2) you still should be able to plug monitors into any ports and even at DP Alt. Mode they should both handle 1920x1080@60Hz. 

Do you run your monitors at higher Hz ? If not, I think there are three options, either your computer does not output DP Alt.Mode v. 1.4 or 1.2 (I think it should but better check) or there may be something wrong with the dock as it should be capable of this, those matrixes are from Lenovo site. Third option if you are using any cable adapters on those display connectors it might cause a glitch. You are using straight HDMI to HDMI and DisplayPort to Displayport without any concersion adapters, right ? If so, this should actually work according to information released by Lenovo on the Usb-c dock gen2. 

If you check those things and everything should be right on the money, and rebooting the dock as in taking all the power out of it while also booting the computer does not help it may be a hardware issue with the dock

Please let me know how it plays out.

With kind regards,

Jussi

With kind regards,

Jussi

Options

0 Posts

02-15-2020

United States of America

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 7 of 55

2020-02-15, 23:03 PM

I have exactly the same issue. My first monitor (Asus VS278) has no problem at all to work with the USB-C Dock Gen2 but for my second screen (MSI MPG27CQ) it just says "Display 3 isn't active". Also if I try to expand to the second screen it does not work. I tried HDMI and DisplayPort, no difference.

What can be done here?

Options

0 Posts

02-18-2020

United States of America

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 8 of 55

2020-02-18, 14:25 PM

I have a similar issue, however, it is not displaying my Dell monitors at all.  I've downloaded the latest driver and the monitor's show in the 'Select/Rearrange' section, but when I go to Identify, nothing is happening and my monitors stay in hibernation mode.

I have a ThinkPad T90s and the Thunderbolt 3 USB-C Gen 2 docking station

Options

0 Posts

02-15-2020

United States of America

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 9 of 55

2020-02-18, 14:37 PM

So I found a solution:

I updated the driver and the firmware for the USB-C Gen2 Dock and then it worked.

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/accessory/docks/thinkpad-usb-c-dock-gen-2/40as/downloads/ds539091

Options

1 Posts

03-06-2020

United States of America

3 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 10 of 55

Re:ThinkPad USB-C Dock Gen 2 and multple monitor problems

2020-03-06, 12:08 PM

Anyone have any word on this? I'm having the same exact problem

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms