cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fletcher252
Paper Tape
Views: 208
Message 1 of 7

ThinkPad USB-C Dock not charging ThinkPad T480s Laptop when connected. How to fix?

It won't charge it when the laptop is plugged into the dock. The battery icon in the bottom right of the screen says "96% available (plugged in, not charging)." Anyone have any ideas?

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 190
Message 2 of 7

Re: ThinkPad USB-C Dock not charging ThinkPad T480s Laptop when connected. How to fix?

Let it drain down under 90% and try again. Seeing that message at that level is by design to protect the battery.  If it fails at, say, 70%, but the charger that came with the computer works, then there may be an issue with the doc. But "96% plugged in, not charging" is normal.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
Joness348
Paper Tape
Views: 185
Message 3 of 7

Re: ThinkPad USB-C Dock not charging ThinkPad T480s Laptop when connected. How to fix?

Did u try to charge separately? restarted? Perhaps the update is not installed on time. Or do as said above, good luck

Fletcher252
Paper Tape
Views: 172
Message 4 of 7

It’s never done this before at any power level, also won’t charge when AC adapter is plugged in. 

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 163
Message 5 of 7

Run the computer down to 80% and see if it happens at that point. 

Fletcher252
Paper Tape
Views: 153
Message 6 of 7

Will do, the battery doesn't seem to really be draining more than ~1% an hour, so it is at least getting some power to it I think. The IT department for the company I work at couldn't really figure it out either - updated bios and drivers, etc. Will respond if I get it working, thanks all.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 146
Message 7 of 7

"Plugged in, not charging" above (I think) 95% is a battery-protection feature. Disconnect power and let it run down below 90%. Then connect the AC adapter (not the dock). It should show charging. If so, THEN reconnect the dock. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors