Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
Message 1 of 5 (1,816 Views)

ThinkVision P27h-10 daisy-chaining

I was very excited to find that Lenovo has relesead this monitor as it had all i was looking for: an USB Type-C input, a USB Hub with at least 4 more USB ports AND the DP-out port! Finaly I thought I can connect my laptop using a single wire and get all that I need:

- two screens to extend my desktop to

- external keyboard,mouse and soundcard

- wired ethernet (via USB adapter)

- charging for my laptop

So I ordered 2 such monitors and I rushed to connect them. Here comes the dissapointment: The video signal from the type-c usb input gets mirrored on the second screen (daisy-chained on the DP-out port) and the menu for turning on/off the daisy chaining option is grayed out.

I connected my laptop to the DP input (via a type-c to DP adapter) and was able to activate the on screen menu and turned daisy-chaining on. It works, I have 2 screens now and i can extend my desktop but I've lost all the other features as the only type-c port on my laptop is used by the adaptor.

DisplayPort Alt Mode of my type-c port supports multiple displays (as proven by using a simple type-c to DP adapter) but the Lenovo display refuses to use the type-c input as a source for DP daisy-chaining. Is there some hidden option? Shall I expect a firmware update to be able to use it this way ?

I've returned to using just one screen now, as it allows me to take advantage of the screen as a port replicator. But I'm still hopefull that connecting the second screen as an extention instead of a mirror is somehow possible.

Highlighted
Guru
Message 2 of 5 (1,737 Views)

Re: ThinkVision P27h-10 daisy-chaining

Hi, welcome to the forum.

I'm going to be honest, I don't have that monitor or much experience with USB-C video displays, but I have interest to know your configuration. Which is the laptop you are using ? which USB-C hub are you using?

I was checking the support site of the monitor: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/ec/es/solutions/pd104864

The user manual does not says anything about USB-C daisy chaining, just DP port Daisy Chaining.

2017-09-21 07_58_02-P27-10.book - p27h10_61af_ug_english.pdf.png

So I ordered 2 such monitors and I rushed to connect them.

Just to understand it better. You have both monitors connected with the DP cable, and you connect one monitor to the USB-C port of your laptop and does not daisy-chain, right?

What about if you connect both monitors to the USB-C hub ? It is not daisy-chaining, but at least you will be able to extend the video image and not just duplicate it.

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
"Don't Panic"
Wil Wheaton
Remember: Your Friend Wil Declares....
Please click "Kudos" for Ego Boost !!

Paper Tape
Message 3 of 5 (1,730 Views)

Hi and thanks for your answer and suggestions!

You've got it right: I have the monitores linked with a DP cable (from DP-out to DP-in) and I connect my laptop to the USB-C input of the first monitor.  This results in a mirrored display (with DP chaining set to off it appears that the DP-out port will emit whatever image is on the monitor from any other source)

I've tested the chaining as described in the manual and it works: connecting a signal cable on the DP-in port enables the menu option for chaining and that in turn presents a second monitor to my laptop (dell xps 13). If I connect the signal on usb-c after enablig this menu option the second monitor stays black. I strongly belive it is a firmware issue at this point.

I don't have a USB-C hub. For the testing above i have a USB-C to DP adapter (Delock 62727). 

I'll look into a usb-c hub as a workarround but it kind of defeats the fact that the ThinkVision monitor itself provides all the ports that I need missing just one function

Best regards

What's DOS?
Message 4 of 5 (1,489 Views)

Hello gents,

I did the same thing as you with the only difference being my laptop: X1 Carbon Gen5.

If i connect the two monitors with DP cable, but the source on the 1st monitor is USB-C, then we do not have DP daisy chainning. If the input on the first monitor is DP then it works.

This is a huge letdown. Maybe someone from Lenovo can step in and shed some light.

Cheers!

Paper Tape
Message 5 of 5 (1,212 Views)

Late to the party, but I think the propblem may be that daisy chaining is a function of DP. My thought is when the display sees the signal is USB-C it does not allow for daisy chaining only duplication. It's just a theory, but I know the standards groups can be pretty proprietary with features trying to prove theirs is the best. If/when I have some time I'll dig into it and find out.

Top kudoed Authors