Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cisbrane
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,455
Message 1 of 25

ThinkVision p27h humming on USB C

My monitor, ThinkVision p27h, makes a high pitched humm/whirring sound when my laptop, Lenovo Yoga 920, is connected via USB-C. I believe the issue is the Power Delivery for USB C in the monitor supply. I know AC->DC conversion can sometimes cause this sound when constructed poorly and when the load on the end is not needing to be charged. Sure enough, when my battery is not 100% the whirring sound is gone.

Does anyone else have this issue? I am trying to decide if a replacement would fix this issue. Also upset that corners were cut and dampening design was not impelmented -- like more glue...

I am sensitive to these higher pitched sounds. I really liked the One Cable design of this monitor, especially for the price, but I don't know if I can keep it.

schlehke
Paper Tape
Views: 1,402
Message 2 of 25

Re: ThinkVision p27h humming on USB C

I am having this same issue.  I just got two P27h's and daisy chained them.  My hope was to hook them up using a single USBc to my Gen6 X1 carbon.  As soon as the battery hits 99% the humming starts, and is driving me crazy.  I tried reversing the daisy chain thinking it was one monitor but alas it does it on both.  Have you been able to solve this problem? I can't believe its been out this long and there isn't more information on this issue. 

cisbrane
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,385
Message 3 of 25

I have not been able to solve the problem, and I also found another person with the issue on a different site. I really think it's a problem with the design of the AC to DC power supply for the USB C power delivery. I am going to give technical support a call to see if anything can be done.

Here is some info I found about AC to DC converter noise. The USB is providing DC power while the Monitor takes in AC power, so a conversion is happening.

https://superuser.com/questions/832480/why-do-some-ac-adapters-and-power-supplies-generate-a-whining...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetically_excited_acoustic_noise_and_vibration

If I can't get a satisfactory resolution, the only alternatives I see are to buy a USB C or Thunderbolt 3 dock to get DP or HDMI connections or buy a different USB-C Monitor, or live with it. Sadly, the price point of the p27h was perfect and I really don't want to do the others, but dang that hmm sound is annoying!

engenb
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,338
Message 4 of 25

Thought I'd chime in as I seem to be having the same problem.  You are not alone!

I will also be opening up a formal support ticket with Lenovo if only to draw more attention to what seems to be a pretty major flaw with a basic component of the product.  I bought two of these and both monitors do have the same high-pitched humming noise when charging my laptop over USB-C.  The whole reason I bought this product was that it could also serve as my laptop's dock.  Unfortunately, I can confirm the same issue: the monitor makes a high-pitched humming/buzzing sound when it is charging my laptop (x1 Carbon 6th gen) over USB-C.

I have tried different outlets in my house (thinking this may be a grounding issue), I've tried multiple different cables, and I've made sure my laptop has the most recent drivers available.

I've uploaded a short video of the noise so anyone interested can hear it for themselves.

Lenovo, if you're reading this and care about customer satisfaction (and sanity), please do something. This monitor checks all the boxes for me. I really like the dual monitor (via DP daisy chaining) with single cable USB-C connectivity to act as my laptop's hub and charging, but I just can't stand this noise!

Thanks!

cisbrane
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,311
Message 5 of 25

I talked to support on the phone, and they claim they are going to forward the issue to Senior Techs. The only immediate "solution" was to get a replacement unit which I denied at this point. Going to wait a little on this issue.

Please open cases with the issue so it becomes more visible. Lenovo rarely reads these forums from what I can tell.

The video you made is the exact same sound that I hear. It is possible for the frequency of the sound maybe not everyone can hear it. However I had another person confirm it with my monitor.

I have been looking at monitor from another manufacturer and I am tempted to get it and replace this one if something can't be resolved.
Highlighted
schlehke
Paper Tape
Views: 1,206
Message 6 of 25

I went through and ran Lenovo's "Service Bridge" which analyzes your system and updates any pertinent drivers.  I was hopeful as one of the updates dealt with the Thunderbolt 3 power management... after all the updates were completed I restarted my computer to the same buzzing sound that its had since day one.  Hopefully their "Senior Techs" can get us a fix soon! 

cisbrane
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,190
Message 7 of 25

I really hope so too. Too bad software didn't fix anything. It's highly likely a manufacturing or HW design issue with the power supply. These kinds of things are not cheap or quick fixes. Likely, a large volume customer needs to complain before anything is done. Tempted to get a replacement sent incase I get lucky. Maybe it was just a bad manufacturing batch. Most likely, I need to purchase a standalone dock Smiley Sad.

engenb
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,161
Message 8 of 25

TL;DR; I got a replacement, same issue.  No word from Lenovo yet.  Love ThinkPad.  No love for ThinkVision.

In addition to the opinions expressed earlier in this thread, I've been researching this a bit and as far as I can tell this is not likely the kind of thing a software update can or will resolve.  All my research is pointing me towards this being coil whine.  This seems to occur when inductors (basically a metal ring wrapped in copper wire) begin to vibrate at a very high frequency.  This vibration of the ring against the wire at certain frequencies is audible.  I've been digging around and all DIY solutions to this would void your warranty big time, assuming coil whine is the cause in the first place, so I wouldn't recommend it.

If I'm wrong, Lenovo, by all means, please correct me.  I've never seen a manufacturer support forum where the customers are the only ones doing the talking, trying to help each other.  It'd be great to get an "official" response or acknowledgment of this issue with the product.  I don't even need or want an explanation of the cause.  All I'm looking for is a response like, "we're aware of the issue, we're working on a solution (like a change in PSU design or manufacturer)" or, "we're aware of the issue, there won't be a solution."  That'll help inform if I should wait, or return these now.  I don't want replacements unless they're going to resolve the issue (see below).

To update this thread on where I'm at, I submitted a ticket with Lenovo and, without any response, I received another monitor.  On one hand, this was great as I quickly got a replacement without any hassle.  On the other hand, I found this lack of communication very odd.  Additionally, this replacement looked like a refurb and not a new monitor as it wasn't quite packaged the same and only included a single USB-C cable - a bit different from the other two I purchased which each came with 4 or 5 cables.  There was also some evidence around the bezel that the monitor had been pried open before, presumably for service.  This monitor worked once when I tested it on my kitchen table.  It still made the same annoying sound but thought it was a bit quieter.  I moved it up to my office and when I plugged it in, but before turning it on, the monitor made this high-pitched sound - kind of like when the flash for a disposable camera is charging up.  It then began to make this high-pitched chirp noise, regularly every 5 (or so) seconds.  The monitor is otherwise dead.  It won't turn on.  I have commented on my support ticket regarding this, but the support ticket is so far a one-way conversation.  I'd like to call, but my work hours and the holiday season make that pretty inconvenient right now.

StephaneBoivin
What's DOS?
Views: 1,113
Message 9 of 25

I have the same problem.  My distributor just sent me a new unit.  Same noise with the new unit.  I unterstand I now have to decide if I keep it like that, ask for a refund or use it via HDMI...

cisbrane
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,098
Message 10 of 25

@StephaneBoivin wrote:

I have the same problem.  My distributor just sent me a new unit.  Same noise with the new unit.  I unterstand I now have to decide if I keep it like that, ask for a refund or use it via HDMI...

Good to know that replacements are not fixing the issue. I think either there is a major hardware design issure, or this is a bad manufacturing batch. Do you think it is possible for the distributor to file a complaint? I don't think Lenovo will listen until someone large complains to them.

I really wish support would acknowledge this as a known issue and have some plan of action to fix this.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors