Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cisbrane
Punch Card
Views: 1,599
Message 11 of 40

Re: ThinkVision p27h humming on USB C

Out of the blue Lenovo called, and wanted to send a replacement. I said I think that was not going to fix the issue and if the issue could get escalated to R&D. Explained this forum post, and they did not care. They support person suggested it was my USB-C on my computer. Completely ignored the problem and what you all are reporting. I caved and said to send me a replacement, but I have not seen any notice of one being shipped to me. Very upset with the level of support and that they arenot taking the issue seriously at all.

cisbrane
Punch Card
Views: 1,544
Message 12 of 40

My replacement arrived, from a secondary supplier. Box was not the original, so not sure if this monitor is an original item. I am going to guess it's a refurb, but I can't prove it. Part of the panel doesn't feel as well put together as my other monitor.

The hmming is there, but the behavior changed. First the same parts: It's very noticable when the computer and monitor is on standby when computer full charged. Also, the behavior of moving a white window across my screen and hearing sound is alos still there. Lastly, when charging the laptop, no sounds are emitted as before.

However, now when actively using the monitor and computer, the sound is much deminished -- when the power draw is lower. The strange thing, however, is when the CPU kicks in and the laptop fans turn on, the monitor starts to make more audible sounds, similar as to what I heard before. When the usage backs down again the sound diminshes. So I can do web browsing and basic applications, but once I launch something more intesive the sound returns.

Not really sure what to do next. I still think it's the monitor's USB C power delivery, becuase when the CPU is higher, more power is required. However, since my laptop is at 100% it needs to be cautious how it draws that power to not overcharge the battery, perhaps. It's just getting stranger now.

cisbrane
Punch Card
Views: 1,539
Message 13 of 40

Oops double posted as the forum was slow to display my posts. Looks like my options are trying to escalate this further, returning the monitor and buying a competitor's, or getting a USB C dock.

geordieinafrica
Paper Tape
Views: 1,253
Message 14 of 40

Hi

Just wondering if this issue has been resolved...

I have exactly the same problem: My monitor, ThinkVision p27h, makes a high pitched humm/whirring sound when my laptop, Lenovo Yoga 920, is connected via USB-C.

I initially bought a Dell 27 USB-C Monitor | P2719HC to go with my ThinkVision p27h. There was a high pitched whine when the CPU was active which i could not resolve (Dell customer service where very helpful, we tried a number of updates, but ultimately they suggested it was the laptop not the monitor, and eventually I returned the screen as I thought it was a compatibility issue).

How dismayed I was when i got the same issue with the ThinkVision p27h. The noise is ear-piercing.

I can only use the screen with a USB-C to HDMI adapter, and have to use the second port to charge the laptop, which is a pain as there are only two, and it defeats the point of having an all-inclusive power/data cable, which was one of the attractions in the first place.

cisbrane
Punch Card
Views: 1,215
Message 15 of 40

I was not able to resolve this. However, it's good know about the Dell Monitor. That was what I was going to order to replace my ThinkVision... very interesting that it has the same issue! I find it hard to believe that the Yoga 920 is causing the monitor to whine. There have been issues with the ThinkVision monitors with the ThinkPad laptops even....though maybe it's bad design by Lenovo. I would like to see another laptop, like a Dell, try to use the monitors... but I have no way to test that.

My current issue is that my monitor is quiet when my laptop is idle, but humms once it draws more power -- fans turn on or cpu usage increases. So, same issue as you. I still feel that it is a poor power supply design in the monitor... But Maybe the laptops are pulling more power than they should? I guess it could be the power supply design on the laptop. I know the Lenovo charger brick is 65W but ThinkVision only ouputs 45W -- but that should be enough. The Dell Monitors actually ouptut 65W so not sure.

Today I was looking a docking station due to the noise. It sucks that I have to go that route. No one can explain why the monitor or laptop is causing the issue, and I don't know if anyone cares.

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 1,190
Message 16 of 40

Hi all,

with one of our technicians, we have tried to reproduce the phenomenon with a Yoga 920 and a X1 Carbon 6th gen, but we haven't been able to hear the humming / buzzing sound coming out of the P27H. Could you please kindly verify, if this is the same FW your monitors are running on?

IMG_20190131_123306.jpg

Also, would it be please possible to record the humming sound so that we know exactly what we are supposed to be looking for?

Best regards,

Juraj
German, Czech & Slovak Community Lead

Wurde dein Problem bei uns bereits besprochen? Schau mal nach: Forum Suchoption
Bitte füge den Typ, Modell (nicht die S/N) und das benutzte OS zu deiner Nachricht hinzu. Es beschleunigt die Lösung deines Problems.

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

geordieinafrica
Paper Tape
Views: 1,178
Message 17 of 40

Hi Juraj

Thanks for getting back

Attached screen data

Will follow up with recording

Regards

Geordie

schlehke
Paper Tape
Views: 1,168
Message 18 of 40

I am on a different set of firmware. See attached photo for reference.  Also, the monitor only makes the noise when the laptop is fully charged. I am using a brand new X1 carbon and 2* p27h monitors Daisy chained. 

cisbrane
Punch Card
Views: 1,161
Message 19 of 40

Thank you for testing this.

The replacement monitor I recevied is on the same version of your post. On this monitor, I hear the sound whenever my laptop has high CPU usage when fully charged.

2560x1440 88.9KHz/60Hz

P27h-10

Scalr LS 1.0

USB C 0.1

USB HUB 1.23

cisbrane
Punch Card
Views: 1,155
Message 20 of 40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBqz0jqGKNg

Please be sure to turn up the volume. It is hard to hear in the recording otherwise. If facing the back of the screen, the sound is from the bottom right, near the USB C cable input. (facing the screen the sound comes fromthe bottom left).

Also, see the CPU usage graph shown on the Yoga 920 when doing this. Make sure the computer is 100% charged as well. Sound is not present when the computer is charging.

Hopefully everyone can hear the frequency that this tone is making! It is a little noisy so I'm not sure if recording or playback filters could interfere. It definitely sounds much louder in person that on the recording.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors