Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

External Displays, Options and AccessoriesDisplays, Options and Accessories
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

07-16-2021

Canada

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 4

Thinkpad 40A9 Dock station not working

2021-07-16, 15:58 PM

I have a Yoga Gen 4 that I use with both a Thunderbolt USB-C Dock (at the officde) and an older USB 40A9 Dock (at my home office). I broke my oem cable for the 40A9 home office dock yesterday and had to buy a new USB-C to USB-C cable. I talked to the techs at the store, all assure me I have the right cable, I've tried (3) different cables now and NONE will work. The dock is not recognized by my laptop, no charging is passing through the front port (the one I've always used) and no external monitors are detected. The rear USB-C port will charge the laptop no problem but it's the 2nd monitor that I must have to work! I've tried everything! This set up has worked perfectly with the OEM cable for years, prior to yesterday. Is there something special about the Lenovo cable and do I have to get THAT cable? Or is there a work around. I've updated my driver software, firmware, done all the critical updates and nothing is working. 

Options

5613 Posts

08-02-2018

Philippines

924 Signins

28579 Page Views

• Views: 28579
  • Message 2 of 4

Re:Thinkpad 40A9 Dock station not working

2021-07-16, 21:41 PM

Hello captainmorgantr!

Welcome to community forums

Just to clarify, are you referring to the X1 Yoga 4th Gen laptop? The list of compatible cable for the dock are found here; https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/ph/en/products/accessory/docks/thinkpad-usb-c-dock/40a9/parts/display/compatible

You can buy the parts using the part number/FRU number from our authorized parts reseller here; https://lenovo.encompass.com/

You can also call them at; 866.779.0021. They are open: Monday-Friday, 8 am - 5 pm EST

Hope that helps.

Jwes_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

2 Posts

07-16-2021

Canada

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 3 of 4

2021-07-16, 22:16 PM
So basically you are confirming that the tether USB-C cable is proprietary and the dock while from 2005 will only work with that Lenovo style cable, not any USB-C to USB-C cable? Again I've been using the dock for YEARS and the X1 was purchased about 18 months ago. This is not a compatibility issue as it worked two days ago, this is a CABLE issue only, given I broke mine
Options

5581 Posts

04-25-2008

United States of America

39996 Signins

767923 Page Views

• Views: 767923
  • Message 4 of 4

2021-07-18, 0:07 AM
No. There is a reason for my signature (below). Just cos it fits don't mean it works. Throughout its history USB-C has been creeping upwards in capabilities. Some of these capabilities require better cables. Lenovo can tell you which of their cables meet which requirements. But they can't tell you if a USB-C cable from "some techs at a store" meets a particular requirement.
USB-C: Just cos it fits don't mean it works.
I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms