Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

External Displays, Options and AccessoriesDisplays, Options and Accessories
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

08-03-2017

Korea (the Republic of)

14 Signins

69 Page Views

• Views: 69
  • Message 1 of 7

Thinkpad Onelink Pro Dock DP to HDMI audio problem with Windows 10

2017-08-03, 4:54 AM

Hello,

I have Thnkpad S440 connected with Onelink Pro Dock, and external monitor with builtin speakers connected with DP-HDMI cable. I had these for 3+ years.

I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and all the related drivers as well.

The firmware and driver of the Onelink Pro Dock is also the latest.

Onelink Pro Dock has Displayport and I am using DP-HDMI cable to connect external monitor.

Whenever I play movie or Youtube, video is ok but the sound comes 4-5 seconds later.

It is not delayed, it is silent for the first 4-5 seconds while the video is playing then the sound come up.

If I pause the video for few seconds and play again it shows the same problem.

I believe it is Onelink Pro Dock issue because I did not have the problem before I upgrade to Windows 10/64 (it was Win 7/64) and even with Win 10 it is still normal when I connect S440 and the monitor directly thru HDMI cable.

When I connect earphones to the front of Onelink Pro Dock the sound comes ok with video. The problem only shows when external monitor(w/speakers) connected to DP port of Onelink.

If anyone have the same problem or knows how to fix this problem, please share it with me.

Thanks,

Options

2062 Posts

02-28-2012

Ecuador

1823 Signins

32468 Page Views

• Views: 32468
  • Message 2 of 7

Re: Thinkpad Onelink Pro Dock DP to HDMI audio problem with Windows 10

2017-08-15, 21:48 PM

Hi, welcome to the forums.

I don't have your same configuration, but I just want to notice some thing. When you have you sound playing check the Windows 10 sound icon (bottom right) and press it. You will notice the volume bar and at the top the name of the "output" sound device.

Notice that the front audio port of the "OneLink Pro" is different from the one on the DP/HDMI monitors.

In your case I will try some trial an error by:

1) Try a different cable/adapter arround and check if it also gives you the sound delay

2) Also, try a different monitor or TV that you may have arround. See if it changes something

3) It is possible that the audio device may be something like "Intel HDMI Audio Device" or something like that. I would try updating the video drivers of the computer too, since it seems that the Onelink Pro forwards the video from your machine Video adapter, and it is not a video adapter by itself.

Give it a try to see what happens.

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Self-proclaimed Trackpoint Fan Club President
"Don't Panic"
Wil Wheaton
Remember: Your Friend Wil Declares....
Please click "Like" for Ego Boost !!

Options

4 Posts

08-03-2017

Korea (the Republic of)

14 Signins

69 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

2017-08-17, 3:51 AM

Thank you very much for the comment and ideas to try. Here are things I have tried already;

-Tried a few different DP-to HDMI cables and converters but it was the same.

-Tried 2 monitors with HDMI input and built-in speakers but it was the same.

-I installed Windows7/64 and tried it. It was the similar delay(maybe a little bit shorter). Some how I did not noticed it before and I only noticed it after Windows10 install.

-Currently I am using 3.5mm audio cable to connect the monitor and headphone jack on front of Onelink Pro dock and selected audio from Onelink Pro Dock, not from HDMI/DP. I set this from S440 and monitor. By doing this the audio sounds normal without delay but I have to connect 2 cables which I don't like.

I have posted this because I wanted to know if anyone else who uses Onelik Pro Dock with external monitor connected with DP-HDMI cable has the same problem.

I realized the S440 has Conexant audio chip but Onelink Pro Dock has a different audio chip inside and Onelink Driver includes the driver for this chip.

I suspect this is a problem from Onelink Pro Dock and if other people have the same problem I think Lenovo should look into this problem and fix it maybe by update the driver or something.

Thanks again and if any other idea/suggestion, I would appreciate.

Options

7 Posts

11-22-2012

Poland

17 Signins

101 Page Views

• Views: 101
  • Message 4 of 7

2018-10-25, 17:30 PM
I had this problem with many device configurations. At the end I just prepare mp3 file with 1s of silence and play it in loop with minimalized player that can hide to tray icon like AIMP. Make shortcut to Autostart and forget about this issue.
Options

8 Posts

04-04-2019

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

11 Signins

87 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 87
  • Message 5 of 7

2019-04-04, 18:43 PM

I have precisely the same problem here. When playing back a video, audio starts with 2-3 seconds delay and then it's all synced and OK. Unpausing behaves the same way. I have the latest dock driver and firmware and Win10 64bit. Anyone solved this? It can be extrmeley annoying with pause/unpause. Many thanks.

Options

4 Posts

08-03-2017

Korea (the Republic of)

14 Signins

69 Page Views

• Message 6 of 7

2019-04-07, 8:10 AM

I could not find real solution yet. Lenovo does not issue any new driver for both S440 and One link pro dock. No comment either. Very poor support from Lenovo.

The only solution I could make was not to use audio on HDMI port and connect between 3.5 audio kack on the docking and the 3.5 input of the monitor. In Windows 10 you can select audio output from docking not from monitor display audio.  By this I could avoid the audio delay but had to have an extra audio cable which should not be really necessary.

Options

8 Posts

04-04-2019

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

11 Signins

87 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 87
  • Message 7 of 7

2019-04-07, 12:51 PM

It is odd that Media Player Classic behaves slightly differently. Online video from Youtube, BBC News and BBC iPlayer behaves the same way in Firefox and Edge:the first 2-3 seconds on play and unpause are inaudible, but skip is not affected. It's the same with VLC playing offline video or audio files, but Media Player Classic unpauses OK.

It is aso odd that not many users seem to complain about this, and I don't think Lenovo will fix that any time soon, so thanks for the tip. I will get the additional cable and use up the audio in/out socket on the dock which should be available for headphones and mic. I thought the whole point of the dock was to avoid the cable mess.

EDIT: Another problem I hadn't realised. Audio notifications are completely inadubible because they tend to be very short, under 2 seconds. And I will add Skype audio to the list of affected applications above.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms