United States of America

5 Signins

64 Page Views

• Views: 64
  • Message 1 of 4

Thinkpad T470s not charging on Ultra Dock - but says charging

2019-01-09, 3:24 AM

Hi all,

I searched forums and found nothing with this specific issue.  Can you please help:

Windows 10, Lenovo Thinkpad T470s with Ultra Dock. All systems have been working for over 12 months with no problems. No hardware changes.

Yesterday (post 2 week vacation) I experienced black screen crashes and traced it down to "Battery 2" simply running out of power while in the dock and system shutting down. The laptop works fine outside of the dock and charges both batteries.  Reminder, on T470s model, both batteries are non-removable.

With laptop in the dock, all appears fine and the animated charging icon appears in my windows 10 task bar. The dock shows the green power LED near the power button at left. But if I click the windows 10 task bar battery icon, I can see that Battery 2 is actually depleting, slowly running out.  At around 2%, the system simply switches off.  There is no "your battery is low" warning.

If I remove the laptop and plug in to my travel charging brick, the laptop charges up as normal, switching between charging battery 1 and battery 2 until both are 100%.  Strangely, if I then unplug travel charging brick, Battery 1 depletes first, opposite of what happens in the dock. Stand alone (not in dock) the laptop runs down as normal and gives a low power warning.

So, it appears that both batteries are OK, or at least can be charged and uncharged.  Laptop is only about 12 months old. The travel charger appears good too. Here are things I have tried:

• Checked Windows 10 version (1803)
  • Done a Windows update of all drivers, patches etc.  IT policy has not let me get latest Windows version yet (1809?)
  • Done a Lenovo update of all drivers and BIOS.
  • Updated Intel graphics drivers etc just in case it was some weird external monitor issue.  Nope.
  • Started up on BIOS, done the "temporarily shut off battery for technical service", then rebooted on charger.
  • Tried the docking station's power brick directly into the laptop's power port.  It also starts to charge the laptop, so that seems OK.
  • Tried the docking station power brick in a different wall outlet (just because!).  No change, power brick still seems to work.
  • One at a time unplugged every peripheral from the ultra dock and rebooted after adding them back one at a time.
  • Run Lenovo system update, Lenovo Vantage, Windows trouble shooter etc. All seem fine.
  • Checked that there are no weird power settings.  All seems fine.
  • Put my right foot in, right foot out, shaken it all about.

Anyone got any good ideas? I need some.

Thanks,

Patrick

Options

4 Posts

01-09-2019

United States of America

5 Signins

64 Page Views

• Message 2 of 4

Re: Thinkpad T470s not charging on Ultra Dock - but says charging

2019-01-09, 18:01 PM
Anyone?
Options

4 Posts

01-09-2019

United States of America

5 Signins

64 Page Views

• Message 3 of 4

Re: Thinkpad T470s not charging on Ultra Dock - but says charging

2019-01-09, 21:31 PM
Forgot one thing, I also updated the firmware in the dock to v2.33 as part of my troubleshooting.
Options

5 Posts

12-04-2018

United States of America

6 Signins

54 Page Views

• Views: 54
  • Message 4 of 4

Re:Thinkpad T470s not charging on Ultra Dock - but says charging

2020-07-24, 1:03 AM

Anything new on this?  My 40A50230US and P51 after windows reinstall will not charge but says plugged in.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms