Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Joners1
Paper Tape
Views: 7,782
Message 1 of 94

Thinkpad Thunderbolt 3 Dock - Bricked after FW Update

Ive got a Thinkpad Thunderbolt 3 Dock and was prompted to install a critical update from Lenovo Vantage Update, ive had couple in the past so didnt think much of it. Usual routine, unplug all devices from the dock close applications and start the process. PC reboots and the dock doesnt come back up. Stuck on a solid white light, the software update says that it completed the firmware update successfully. 

Any way to recover the dock, its not detected by the system at all?

Capture.PNG

Admin note: threads merged; subject lines may vary

Highlighted
cristian-s
Punch Card
Views: 8,279
Message 2 of 94

Thunderbolt 3 Workstation not working any more (after firmware update?)

Hello,

I have purchased this week the Thunderbolt 3 Workstation dock. It work well until today.

Yesterday (Feb 1st) evening I ran the Lenovo Vantage update which updated a bunch of things. Interesting ones: Thunderbolt 3 Dock Firmware Utility and BIOS update.

update lenovo thunderbolt.png

Everything seem to work fine. This morning, first issue: after docking the PC, the Ethernet controller from the Thunderbolt dock didn't seem active. Other attached devices (monitors, mouse) were OK. My reflex: "restart" the dock, i.e. disconnect/reconnect the power cables.

And then the dock ceased to work. It looks like if it's "bricked". The power led is on, but pushing the button (or long press) doesn't do anything. Relating to the updates from yesterday, I'd say that it's somehow related to them.

And/or maybe an issue with the Thunderbolt software/drivers on PC?

I tryed to uninstall/reinstall the Thunderbolt software on the PC. I find curious that:

• immediately after install, "Attached Thunderbolt Devices" shows "Port 1", "Port 2". By install I mean I open Lenovo Vantage and do a "Check for updates". It doesn't tell me that it had installed something, but it triggers the download and install in the background.

thunderbolt ports.png

Also I see in Device Manager: Device Manager/System/Thunderbolt Controller

thunderbolt dev man.png

• after restart, the list is empty, and in Device Manager there is no more "Thunderbold Controller"

Have you got any hints?

Thanks in advance,

Cristian.

Mooh
What's DOS?
Views: 8,229
Message 3 of 94

Re: Thunderbolt 3 Workstation not working any more (after firmware update?)

Exactly same issue, after thunderbolt firmware update 3.1.52. I've just got a pricey brick which is always on.

Any solution ?

Mike848
What's DOS?
Views: 7,699
Message 4 of 94

Re: Thinkpad Thunderbolt 3 Dock - Bricked after FW Update

I'm experiencing this same issue after FW update last night.  Called Technical Support and there was nothing they could do over the phone, and they will be sending a replacement dock with an ETA of mid-February. 

TedC99
Paper Tape
Views: 8,211
Message 5 of 94

I have the same issue. LENOVO service update indicated there was a CRITICAL update. Ran it and Thunderbolt now not seen, does not power off. UGH... What is the solution?

cristian-s
Punch Card
Views: 8,199
Message 6 of 94

I suspect that the BIOS update causes also some issues. Now with the newly updated 1.18, when I power on the PC (by pressing the power button) it powers on/off twice before starting to boot. Really annoying. Happens only from OFF state. Sleep doesn't seem to be affected.

Joners1
Paper Tape
Views: 7,647
Message 7 of 94

I contacted support via the webform but have yet to hear anything. Hope that they can ship a replacement quicker than that.

jgorzas
Paper Tape
Views: 8,097
Message 8 of 94

Same issue here (on a ThinkPad X1 Extreme with Thunderbolt 3 Workstation Dock). After thunderbolt 3 dock firmware update 3.1.52 the dock doesn't do anything.

Any news to this topic?

jmossnz
Paper Tape
Views: 8,051
Message 9 of 94

I made the rookie mistake of running the "critical update" before a meeting, which took out all my monitors and attached equipment.

So now I have a useless dock that no longer detects as ThunderBolt device Smiley Sad

Machine X1E 20MFCTO1WW running BIOS N2EET36W 1.18

Everything was working ok prior to the "critical update" of the dock firmware 

jmossnz
Paper Tape
Views: 7,597
Message 10 of 94

Same issue here https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/Thunderbolt-3-Workstation-not-working-an...

I also made the mistake of letting the update run now dock no longer works.

I guess I'll be calling support tomorrow for shipment of replacement dock.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors