cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cristian-s
Punch Card
Views: 2,585
Message 31 of 94

Re: Thunderbolt 3 Workstation not working any more (after firmware update?)

@PITSupport,

From your post I understand that you have connected the second dock, and it was not automatically updated with the bad firmware. Is that correct?

This seems to be different from the observation of jbNewMill.

@jbNewMill: maybe in your case the automatic updates (of Lenovo Vantage) were enabled, so when you plugged in the second dock, it actually got corrupted when the auto updates applied again?

PITSupport
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,576
Message 32 of 94

Actually, my first dock was bricked when I ran the updates - I ran into a BSOD and considered that maybe there was a fault with the Thunderbolt firware, previous experiences with TB docks have led to the same conclusion. So, the first dock didn't auto-update, although it was enabled to do so.

I disabled the auto-update function prior to connecting my other [working] dock. It has not updated to the latest firware and is working as it should.

Either way, I don't think auto-updating occurs without some intervention to approve the installation because the system would need to be restarted. The auto-update downloads and executes the update, but requires the user to ok it.

eighty_three
What's DOS?
Views: 2,228
Message 33 of 94

Hello all,

I had the same issue after updating my bios and firmware.  I verified the dock was not bricked by testing another X1 extreme with my dock and it worked.  My extreme didn't work with any other dock.  I found out that after I was able to updated the thunderbolt firmware on my laptop everything worked again.  This is what I did:

The controller unknown is directly related to Thunderbolt FIRMWARE.  Download the thunderbolt firmware update and have it ready to run before you start.  This is what I did:

1.  Unplug anything thunderbolt

2. Uninstall the thunderbolt software

3. Quickly shutdown following the software uninstall (if you don't it will reinstall itself)

4. Plug in only standard power still nothing plugged into thunderbolt ports

5. Turn on your laptop

6.  At this point I tried to quickly reinstall the thunderbolt software, but it had already reinstalled itself.

7. I then ran the firmware update that I had previously downloaded from the website.  It actually completed this time.  After the reboot everything worked again.

ECITawa
Paper Tape
Views: 1,849
Message 34 of 94

Re: Thinkpad Thunderbolt 3 Dock - Bricked after FW Update

I have the same issue with the Thunderbolt 3 gen2 dock / Thunderbolt Workstation dock

40AN0230EU

after FW 3.1.52 via lenovo vantage the dock gets bricked.

I bricked another dock before i realised that you have to turn off automatic updates in Lenovo Vantage.

I turned Lenovo Vantage auto update off and tried another dock.

It worked, so the problem is not on the pc, but in the firmware update for the dock...

I contacted Lenovo and they are sending me a new dock..

Dirk23
What's DOS?
Views: 1,685
Message 35 of 94

Same here,

got updates on 1st February and my Thunderbold 3 Workstation dock stopped working and is showing a solid white LED.

Powering the dock off and on again takes the dock to the solid white LED again after aprox. 5 secs.

No Port on the dock is working anymore and the dock is no longer registered by the X1.

Pluging my monitor directly into the Thunderbolt Port of the X1 works.

I opened a acase with Lenoo Support.

SCH2
What's DOS?
Views: 1,637
Message 36 of 94

Had been using the Thunderbolt 3 Workstation Dock Gen 2 with my X1 Extreme.  Love the X1 Extreme.  The dock is a major PITA.  I still have internet access, but after downloading all critical updates from Lenovo in December, it now prevents Windows from downloading/installing Windows 10 updates.  Spent days trying to find a solution (assumed it was a Windows issue).  Was about to perform a fresh Windows 10 install when I disconnected the dock.  All of a sudden a month's worth of Windows 10 updates hit my X1 Extreme.   The dock is now a door stop.  I'm past the 30 day purchase (by about that many days), so Lenovo says I can only get a replacement.  No thanks.  Lve and learn.

Highlighted
jrainey1986
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,542
Message 37 of 94

I used the Lenovo System Update (v5.07.0074) and was prompted to download and install (was listed as Critical Update) the Firmware to my Dock.  As always, I closed all applications and sat as the Firmware downloaded. I got the expected prompt to ensure I was plugged in. I then watched as the upgraded prompted me to install. Installation completed and everything appeared to be fine. 

I powered down the thinkpad and disconnected. Worked from the living room, then went back to the dock. Connected, and noticed that before I connected the White light on the power button was illuminated. Shrugged, and pushed the power button. Nothing. I un-plugged the Dock, got a cup of coffee, returned and plugged it back in. Nothing. I then noticed that none of the pass-through power was working on the dock.  So, I unplugged it again.  Unplugged everything connected to it, and held the power button down for 15 seconds in an effort. All of this at the recommendation of Lenovo Support. Who, by the way, was very nice and well spoken.

Nothing we did worked. I happened to have another Thunderbolt 3 cable in my bag, and no change. I powered up my new X1 Yoga, and connected the cable. No power. This wasn't passing power at all. I confirmed the Intel Thunderbolt app was running, and confirmed that Windows was not even detecting the Dock. 

Lenovo is sending me a replacement. I had this one all of a week.

Did I miss any other steps while I wait for it to be replaced?  

JIM

Admin note; post merged in, subject edited.

DocTheIT
What's DOS?
Views: 1,389
Message 38 of 94

It did not brick the other dock in my experience. I did not upgrade the firmware 

acapinpin
Fanfold Paper
Views: 885
Message 39 of 94

I believe I was able to un-brick my docking station. I was running into the same "light always on" situation other people were experiencing.

I downloaded the firmware (thinkpad_thunderbolt_3_dock_gen2_workstation_dock_firmware_update_v152.rar) dated 11 Feb 2019.

Connected both of the required power adapters to the docking station.

I then used a standard thunderbolt 3 cable to the front of the dock and connected to the P52 (The installer was not able to see the docking station when I attempted using the proprietary power+thunderbolt cable).

The firmware installer was then able to see the docking station and eventually was able to update the firmware.

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 782
Message 40 of 94

Hello All,

To help the engineers investigating this would it be possible for those who suffered the dock bricking to post a screen snip of their Lenovo Vantage update history please?

Vantage.pngvantage

Thanks

Andy

English Community Leader
Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star below their post awarding them Kudos

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors