Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pharlovic
Paper Tape
Views: 9,091
Message 1 of 8

Thinkpad USB-C dock (Type 40A9) won't pass Ethernet

One of the staff I support is using a Lenovo Thinkpad USB-C dock.

Currently the ethernet connection runs into the desk phone, then from the desk phone out to the dock. 

For some reason, when he has the dock connected to his laptop via USB-C, the ethernet connection is not detected by Windows.

Things I've checked:
* Checked all other items connected to the port (two monitors via display port, USB keyboard, USB mouse) and they all work fine

* Checked the port on the rear of the dock, LAN activity lights are flashing, so there is data passing through to the dock
* Tried bypassing the phone and connecting the ethernet line directly in to the dock, didn't solve the issue
* Tried connecting the dock to the second USB-C port, didn't solve the issue
* Tried testing with a regular Lenovo ethernet dongle, and that worked fine - so it's not an issue with the LAN connection or cable
* Tried installing the latest drivers and firmware for the dock, in both cases I got a message saying the latest software was already installed

Having no other ideas I called Lenovo support and they sent out a replacement dock.  I swapped that out, and have the exact same issue - so it doesn't look like the dock is faulty.

I have no idea what else to try. 

hostmaster
Paper Tape
Views: 8,150
Message 2 of 8

Re: Thinkpad USB-C dock (Type 40A9) won't pass Ethernet

We use the 40A4 for the Yoga-260, and have had similar if not the exact same issue. I've done everything from swapping the dock, power supply, ethernet cables. I've updated ALL the firmware. Sometimes switching the dock will allow ethernet to connect, but eventually it does revert back to no LAN connection.

Ultimately, I've just had to buy 3rd party USB Ethernet dongles, those seem to work for now.

HarryKane
Paper Tape
Views: 7,714
Message 3 of 8

We've got this exact same issue.

We've just purchased 300 of these USB-C Docks 40AS Type but when connecting via Ethernet it display lights on the port but on laptop it says cable is unplugged.

This is becoming a big problem, any ideas on a fix?

p-a-u-l
What's DOS?
Views: 7,300
Message 4 of 8

I'm having the same issue with a 40AF. Any fix for this?

Garett1
What's DOS?
Views: 6,788
Message 5 of 8

I have exactly the same issue.  Very very frustrating

peColorado
What's DOS?
Views: 5,462
Message 6 of 8

Did anyone get a response to this chain.  YOGA wont recognize any ethernet connection on USB-C Dock

AmoSohi
Paper Tape
Views: 5,177
Message 7 of 8

Having an identical issue with a X280 and the 40AS dock. Did you manage to resolve?
Have already updated firmware on the dock but still issue persists.
Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 5,138
Message 8 of 8

Hi All,

Welcome to the community forums. 

Found this Lenovo Forum thread that has the same issue that you have. Click this link: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/T480-No-Ethernet-wired-network-when-dock...

Make sure to check the compatibility of the docking station to the laptop that you are using. To know more information about it. Please go to Hardware Compatibility section of this support page: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/accessories/acc100348

Regards, 

Matt_lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors