Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

External Displays, Options and AccessoriesDisplays, Options and Accessories
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

09-28-2016

Germany

6 Signins

139 Page Views

• Views: 139
  • Message 1 of 5

Thinkpad Ultra Dock: USB 3.0 ports never power off

2016-09-28, 19:07 PM

Hi guys,

the USB 3.0 ports of my recently bought Thinkpad Ultra Dock never power off. Neither after shutdown nor after a save disconnection of an external hard drive (e. g. with udisksctl power-off -b /dev/sdX on Linux). Moreover, the ports are powered before my L450 is booted.

In a nutshell, all USB 3.0 ports of my Thinkpad Ultra Dock are powered as long as my L450 is connected.

This is a serious issue for me as it breaks my workflow (boot computer, run backups to several external hard drives, unmount and power off the hard drives). Everything works fine if the hard drives are connected to the USB 2.0 ports or to the notebook's USB 3.0 ports.

Do you have any suggestions or advices? Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

krukl

Options

2062 Posts

02-28-2012

Ecuador

1823 Signins

32468 Page Views

• Views: 32468
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: Thinkpad Ultra Dock: USB 3.0 ports never power off

2016-09-28, 22:18 PM

Hi, welcome to the forum.

I'm not an expert on this subject or have this kind of docks.

Just in case I was checking the firmware updates of this dock, but that is nothing related to the USB there, only display/monitor fixes.

Can you explain me a little but how having the USB 3.0 always on (with power) breaks your workflow? Is it because the USB external HDDs keep spining when you turn off the laptop? Or is it that the USB 3.0 ports of the dock powers off when you remove the Thinkpad L450 from the dock? I'm sorry that I didn't get it.

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Self-proclaimed Trackpoint Fan Club President
"Don't Panic"
Wil Wheaton
Remember: Your Friend Wil Declares....
Please click "Like" for Ego Boost !!

Options

5 Posts

09-28-2016

Germany

6 Signins

139 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2016-09-29, 8:57 AM

Hi martiniturbide,

thanks for your reply!

I have a backup script and would like to power off the hard drives once backup is completed as I do not need them to be available afterwards. Executing udisksctl power-off -b $DEVICE* at the end of the script fails as the hard drives get reconnected automatically, probably due to the continuing power.

So in order to really power off the external hard drives I either have to connect them to the notebook directly (where the command above works) or have to physically disconnect them unplugging the cable. Both workarounds make the dock kind of useless ;-).

The fact that the external hard drives keep spinning after shutdown is strange, too, in my opinion.

By the way, is it common to disconnect a notebook from the dock after shutdown (as this would finally power off the hard drives)? Seems to be needlessly complicated…

I'm also interested whether I am the only one having those problems.

Thanks and best regards,

krukl

* It's not exclusively about this command. Ubuntu's "safe remove" feature behaves the same as this command.

Options

5 Posts

09-28-2016

Germany

6 Signins

139 Page Views

• Message 4 of 5

2016-09-30, 7:56 AM

Oh, the situation is even worse :smileysad:.

I've just recognized that once the notebook is connected to the dock even the notebook's USB 3.0 ports do not power off (automatically). Connected hard drives keep spinning after a proper shutdown!

Though at least a manual power off using the command mentioned in the first post does work.

Maybe my dock is broken?

Options

5 Posts

09-28-2016

Germany

6 Signins

139 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2016-09-30, 11:41 AM

The external hard drives properly power off after a shutdown initiated by Windows 10, though not if Ubuntu (Linux) is shutting down.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms