Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Glanco
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,064
Message 1 of 7

Thinkvision p27h USB HUB without USB-C

Hello,

I recently bought a Thinkvision p27h monitor and I have a question about USB HUB. My previous monitor had USB-B connection (square one) required to active additional USB ports and it worked perfectly but p27h only have USB-C port. Manual doesn't cover this. Charging port works. I'm using HDMI connection.

Can I plug USB-C to USB-A cable to active the USB HUB?

Guru
Views: 9,027
Message 2 of 7

Re: Thinkvision p27h USB HUB without USB-C

I'm using my P24h as a USB hub for my ThinkPad Yoga 260 with a USB-A to USB-C cable from Anker without any issues. Thus, I assume that it will work with the P27h as well.
Glanco
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,015
Message 3 of 7

Thank you. I'll buy cable after weekend and try this solution.

redradar
What's DOS?
Views: 7,021
Message 4 of 7

I have this monitor and been able to get the hub to work by using a USB - A to USB -C  cable.  

Lenovo P50 in a dock.  the USB-A end is plugged into the dock, and the USB - C end of the cable is plugged into the monitor.   Monitor is connected via Display port.   Hub works, audio works, and diplay works.   However Windows 10 constantly nags me about my monitor connection

display nag.png

Do you see this issue and does anyone know of a way to get this message to go away. 

tamashumi
Paper Tape
Views: 6,520
Message 5 of 7

Hi, I'm coming with the same kind of a question but slightly different.

I'd like being able to easily switch between a laptop and a desktop PC connected to the P27h (one in use at a time).

Same situation, the laptop has an USB-C port so no misteries here - one cable for charging, video and USB hub, cool.

The desktop has USB-A port so I'm assuming a USB-C to USB-A cable would work as recommended previously.

The point is though, swapping cables plugged into the screen is far less convenient than using the same cable and just attaching it to the one device or the other (HDMI remains plugged in to the desktop all the time).

Could I use an USB-A male to USB-C female adapter attached to the desktop and plug the regular USB-C cable (provided with the screen) via such adapter?

TBH, I've already tried one adapter like this and it doesn't work. I thought it would, not sure now is it just not the right adapter or this is simply impossible? Here's a link to the adapter I tried.

To make things even more silly. My desktop has one USB-C port but it's of version 3.0 not 3.1. Socket looks on the first glimpse the same but when I tried to plug the p27h provided USB-C 3.1 cable into it - hoping for the USB hub it's exacly what I need - the plug seems too loose in the socket, doesn't 'click' and falls out. The USB-C 3.0 port doesn't seem to be compatible with USB-C 3.1 plug. Is this weird or what?

tamashumi
Paper Tape
Views: 6,461
Message 6 of 7

I can confirm that a connection over adapter to a desktop with USB-A 3.0 ports only to enable built-in display USB hub works.

So it goes like:

[display upstream USB-C port] - [USB-C to USB-C cable] - [USB-C female to USB-A male adapter] - [desktop USB-A 3.0 port]

The caveat though is: it doesn't work like this with the cable provided with display!

I tried it with Macbook Pro charger cable - this one works for the hub.

The mac cable on the other hand, doesn't transport video signal when connected to a laptop (neither Macbook nor Razer Blade Stealth).

For display to work the Lenovo provided cable needs to be used.

Perhaps that's due to a flexible nature of USB-C connection type which allows implementation of a few different standards.

slach
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,118
Message 7 of 7

Thank you very much for the answer, especially the caveat!

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors