11-25-2019

US

3 Signins

47 Page Views

• Views: 47
  • Message 11 of 15

Re: Thunderbolt 3 Dock Issues (40AC) / Monitor Flickering / P52s

2019-11-25, 20:27 PM

This is a terrible bug. It's been happening non-stop since I received my laptop earlier this year. Anytime I hook it up to the dock, external screens start flickering. I've bought new docks, uninstalled firmware, reinstalled firmware, set full power settings, checked monitor refresh rates, chnaged power sources. It's really bad right now, I can't get any work done on my monitors. They're flickering constantly right now. Sometimes 5-10 times a minute... sometimes 2-3 times in a row. It's embarassing to have anyone come in my office.

My coworker has the same laptop and dock. Same thing happens to her. This is awful. Who designed this thing? I almost want to go back to my slower computer just so my monitors work again.

I counted... since I started typing this email 1 minute ago, my screens have flickered 8 times. 

Options

1 Posts

12-18-2019

DE

3 Signins

58 Page Views

• Views: 58
  • Message 12 of 15

2019-12-18, 14:13 PM

Hi Everybody,

i am working for a IT Company and we had the same problems as you guys. We did open serveral Lenovo Support Cases did updates and changed the Dockingstations against new one´s without solving the problem. One Monitor did always work fine but the second monitor had a flickering and in one case the computer and the monitor said that there is not enough power.

The Solution is shockingly simple. Check the connectors at your Notebooks! Not all USB-C are capable of working as Thunderbolt connections. We had the dockingstations at the last port on the left side of serveal T490s and X390 which is wrong because this connection is just able to handle USB-C Traffic and Power. The Port next to it is called side docking connector and this includes the thunderbolt 3 conneciton. Just connect your dockingstation with this port and you should be fine. We had a ton of support cases about this and it was the reason every time. I have honestly no idea why lenovo support was not able to say "you connected to the wrong conection on your Notebook"

I saw a workaround here with using the notebook powersupply as a second source of power. Thank you for that, this was the hint for finding a solution to this never ending story.

Sorry for my bad english... i am from germany

Merry X-mas

Options

2 Posts

11-25-2019

US

3 Signins

47 Page Views

• Views: 47
  • Message 13 of 15

2020-01-03, 20:41 PM

Jens,

Your english is fine! Your solution does not work for me. I have a Lenovo P52 and it has a proprietary docking cable that only plugs into one spot on the dock. I've tried replacing the dock and the cables along with every other possible solution. It almost makes it more productive to work without the dock which is absolutely absurd because then I can't use three monitors. It's embarassng to have people watch me during conference calls or work on my computer because my screens are continually flashing and refreshing.

During the typing of this message, my screens have reset 4 times in the past two minutes. Luckily I can keep typing without seeing the screen. 

Options

1 Posts

06-25-2020

AE

2 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 14 of 15

Re:Thunderbolt 3 Dock Issues (40AC) / Monitor Flickering / P52s

2020-06-25, 5:29 AM

Hi there, I was wondering whether you had been able to sort out the issue as I am experiencing the same...

Lenovo P54 with 2nd Gen Thunderbolt Dock, two power supplies and that "special" cable to connect the dock to the Lenovo (that has TB3 and Power combined).

Updated drivers, uninstalled, reinstalled, changed monitors, changed cables..

Last thing that comes to mind is to bring the dock to a local Lenovo dealerto have it checked but then I'd be without screens for xxx weeks..?

Attached a video that outlines my problem... (every 5-10 seconds).

Cheers and thanks if anyone has an idea.

Options

1 Posts

06-25-2020

GB

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 15 of 15

Re:Thunderbolt 3 Dock Issues (40AC) / Monitor Flickering / P52s

2020-06-25, 15:34 PM

https://www.notebookcheck.net/ThinkPad-Thunderbolt-3-failure-What-s-happening-why-it-s-happening-and-how-to-fix-it.451207.0.html

It looks like your laptop may be suffering from the Thunderbolt problem mentioned above. At some point the Thunderbolt port just stops working completely. I'd advise you to send your laptop for warranty motherboard replacement if updating the Thunderbolt firmware and drivers doesn't work (https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht508988)

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete