Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cruz878
Fanfold Paper
Views: 492
Message 1 of 9

Thunderbolt 3 Dock Issues (40AC0135US)

I am having several issues with a Thunderbolt3 dock connected to a T480s:

1.) There is a driver that will not install that I beleive is related to the internal USB Audio. I have uninstalled/reinstalled the latest drivers to no avail. It always comes up in Device Manager as "A request for the USB device descriptor failed."

2.) I cannot update the dock firmware. thinkpad_thunderbolt-3_dock_and_usb-c_dock_driver_v10015 throws an error "Audio Device version not found".

3.) When my monitors sleep they often times do not both wake correctly requiring a reboot of the PC to correct.

Lenovo Vantage reports no available updates. Is there some way to manually install the Audio drivers to see if that will allow me to update the dock firmware?

What is the process for submitting a warranty claim on the dock if this cannot be corrected?

cruz878
Fanfold Paper
Views: 436
Message 2 of 9

Re: Thunderbolt 3 Dock Issues (40AC0135US)

I went ahead and hooked a second laptop (X1Yoga) up to this dock and attempted to upgrade the firmware and am seeing the exact same error relating to missing Audio device.
cruz878
Fanfold Paper
Views: 432
Message 3 of 9

FW_Update_Error.jpgdevice_manager.jpg

jestephen
Paper Tape
Views: 420
Message 4 of 9

Not sure if this helps but this seems to be the driver you are missing. Not sure why it would not be attaching some old standard microsoft driver.devicemanager.jpg

cruz878
Fanfold Paper
Views: 384
Message 5 of 9

Thanks, this gives me something to go on... By chance can you pull the path from the "Driver Details" of UCSI USB so I can try to force load it?
cruz878
Fanfold Paper
Views: 338
Message 6 of 9

For anyone else who stumbles across this thread I was able to reach Support at 855-253-6686 (after some navigation of the phone menus). After some troubleshooting (pretty much the same steps I had already tried 3 times) they determined the dock is bad and are overnighting me a new one. 

I'll mark this answered once I receive the new dock assumming it does indeed work correctly.

cruz878
Fanfold Paper
Views: 294
Message 7 of 9

What an absolute headache this has become....

So the new dock came with the latest FW and the USB Audio device is now detected correctly, but this new dock does not work with any wireless USB receivers post reboot (they must be unplugged and re-plugged). I did not have this issue with the old dock (w/ faulty USB Audio). I have tried every single USB port on the dock, one by one rebooting in between and no matter what wireless receiver is attached to the dock (I have 2 separate ones from 2 different companies on hand and am only testing one at a time)  it is never detected without re-plugging. Wired USB devices do not have this issue, nor do these same wireless receivers have any problem if plugged directly into the laptop.

So I have seemingly traded one major dock issue for another. I will have to call back into Tech support at some point and waste another 2hrs of my time while they go through all the same steps I have already tried. I'll give a replacement one more shot and then have to assume these docks are just garbage. I see there is a gen2 of this dock so I wonder if that one is any better and if Lenovo will eventually allow me  a replacement of the newer model to test.

Highlighted
jestephen
Paper Tape
Views: 277
Message 8 of 9

Sorry I didn't check my "junk" email account for a few days. It looks like you kind of solved the issue (that the dock may have been bad), but the driver file is c:\windows\system32\drivers\UcmuUcsi.sys

cruz878
Fanfold Paper
Views: 241
Message 9 of 9

So for some un-explainable reason the issue with the new dock and USB was traced back to some incompatibility with my Logitech K270 KB. Said KB worked perfectly fine with the old dock w/ broken USB audio, but nothing but problems with this replacement dock. After stealing my wife's MK710 a few days ago everything has been working again.

So for anyone else experiencing connect/disconnect issues with USB devices (especially wireless) I would advise you unplug them all and test extensively one by one to try and determine if one particular device is creating an issue with the dock.

To recap: my initial issue with Monitors not waking from sleep + USB Audio missing + inability to upgrade dock FW was due to a faulty dock. My secodary issue with the replacement dock of wireless USB recievers needed to be re-plugged every boot was due to some rogue problem this new dock has with a K270.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals