Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Prof_Kangaroo
Paper Tape
Views: 4,182
Message 21 of 24

Re: Thunderbolt 3 Dock Issues with Monitors

I found a solution to the monitors not being detected that has worked on 3 different T480's connected to the Thunderbolt-3 Docks. I also noticed in our cases that the dock was powering the computer, but it would not charge the batteries.

-Shut the computer down.
-Pull the battery out.
-Power the computer back on with the dock and monitors connected.
-The monitors should display immediately at the login screen.

-Replace the battery after which it should begin charging properly.

BOSDesignCo
Paper Tape
Views: 3,191
Message 22 of 24

JSPC, bro, uninstall your firmware and drivers and install different versions. I have Lenovo's Thunderbolt 3 Dock and their Yoga 720 15ikb (not even listed as compatible - at least when i bought them). They have worked perfectly together for the entire year i have had them. When i first purchased, i remember having a rough time getting it all set up, but havent had an issue since. Uninstall and reinstall firmware and drivers until you find a version that plays nice. It does work. Good luck. I also own a macbook pro. I regularly use AutoCAD, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Logic so i put a decent demand on both of them. I like both computers for different reasons but have few complaints about either.

Prof_Kangaroo
Paper Tape
Views: 3,123
Message 23 of 24

It appears that the newest firmware updates resolve these monitor issues with the Thunderbolt 3 docks. 

Make sure to install both the BIOS and dock firmware updates.  I suggest using the "Lenovo Vantage" updater for Windows 10, or the Lenovo Update utility, if you want to make it easier on yourself and assure you have the latest versions for all of your drivers.

MAL377
What's DOS?
Views: 1,822
Message 24 of 24

I have a Carbon X1 and I have two Thunderbolt docking stations. One in the office and the other at home.

The one a home has this problem, where the one in the offce never has it.

I am pretty sure this is an isssue with the dock.

I have applied the latest formware using "Vantage" still have the issue.

And the only way to resolve was a full power down.

However, just doscovered from a tip in this thread if I press the power button on the dock the laptop goes into suspend then power it hack on the screens are back. If this is consistant I'm reasonibly OK.

There should be a pernament fix.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors