11-27-2016

US

51 Signins

540 Page Views

• Views: 540
  • Message 1 of 1

Thunderbolt 3 Workstation Dock "Phantom Display" in Display Properties

2020-05-01, 20:00 PM

The Thunderbolt 3 Workstation Dock sometimes produces a phantom display in windows Display Properties, the second screen shows as connected but disabled (like the way the laptop screen looks when you hook up an external display and choose to only enable the external).

It can be "fixed" by simply unplugging and replugging in the docks power.

I'm not sure if this is the sole trigger, but it can be reproduced 100% of the time by entering Lenovo Vantage and having it check for updates. By the end of the update check the window will flicker and if you check windows Display Properties you now have a tiny second disabled monitor. This also means it will happen whenever it does its periodic automated update checks in the background. I'm assuming the displayport chip on the dock needs to be enabled to check the version its running (doing a manual firmware version check with the firmware updater does this as well) and it doesn't properly disable after until power cycled.

It doesn't seem like a huge deal but the second screen can cause issues. If your using an external display it messes with your saved profiles (instead of being a 2 monitor setup that included your laptop monitor and external display it now loads the one that contains all 3) and if your using Discrete mode for the graphics on the X1 Extreme it will have at reboot if the dock is saying it has that false display, keeping a black screen for around 60 seconds till it times out from what I assume is it trying to identify it.

Dock is on the most recent firmware that was released 5-6 days ago, but this was present on the dock prior to it.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete