cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Barmaglot
What's DOS?
Views: 812
Message 1 of 2

Thunderbolt 3 dock - power delivery breaks USB?

I have a Gen3 X1 Yoga and a Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 dock, connected by a CalDigit 2M active TB3 cable. Two monitors (one DVI on a DP -> DVI adapter, the other VGA), network, keyboard and mouse are plugged into the dock. Latest driver and firmware are installed. Everything works fine as long as I have a dedicated power adapter connected to the laptop alongside the dock - but if I plug only the TB3 cable from the dock into the laptop (or disconnect the dedicated adapter) so that the Yoga starts drawing power from the dock, I get a 'USB device not recognized' error in Windows, and all the USB devices (keyboard, mouse, dock ethernet) stop responding. Tried with three different power adapters powering the dock, same thing. I got the dock on ebay without the bundled 0.5m cable, and I don't have another TB3 cable on hand to test it with, so I'm not sure whether the problem is with the dock, the cable, or the laptop. The dock should be fine - Lenovo exchanged it under warranty due to a different problem - but I'm not 100% sure...

boostech
Paper Tape
Views: 338
Message 2 of 2

Re: Thunderbolt 3 dock - power delivery breaks USB?

Hello I just seen this and I know it's been about a year ago, but hopefully others will see this as i just did. I was having so many problems with this too and I thought I'd share our fix.

Just unplug your Lenovo DOCK from the your power strip, plug it directly to the wall jack and that IMMEDIATELY solved the problem for us! The power strip was not supplying enough power for all the peripherals plugged into the dock. 

So once again: DO NOT PLUG YOUR LENOVO THUNDERBOLT 3 DOCK INTO A POWER STRIP, PLUG DIRECTLY INTO A WALL JACK ONLY.  

Thank you 

Daniel Loera

booscpa.com

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors