Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

External Displays, Options and AccessoriesDisplays, Options and Accessories
All Forum Topics
Options

10 Posts

08-24-2020

United States of America

7 Signins

140 Page Views

• Views: 140
  • Message 1 of 4

Thunderbolt3 port not working, power surge on the USB port

2021-11-24, 22:48 PM

Recently my Thunderbolt3 port has stopped functioning. I use a Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 Dock (40AC). When I plug the dock's Thunderbolt cable into my laptop's AC charging port, my laptop will charge. As expected, I will not have access to external monitors or any devices plugged into the dock. 

When I plugged the dock's Thunderbolt cable into the correct Thunderbolt port, the light that indicates charging remains off and I get the following error from Windows 10: 

Power surge on the USB port

A USB device has malfunctioned and exceeded the power limits of its hub port. You should disconnect the device. 

It then recommends disconnecting the device and hitting the "reset" button on the error. It then tells me to restart my PC. I've tried this, and it does not fix the isuse I am having with my port. 

When I unplug my dock from the Thunderbolt port, the error repeatedly appears over and over again until I click it. The error only pops up repeatedly after I've plugged in and/or unplugged my dock from my laptop. 

I've tried uninstalling all the USB controllers as I saw recommended on another forum and letting Windows reinstall them fresh with a power on. I've also uninstalled the Thunderbolt controller and reinstalled the software/device in hopes of seeing a fix. Neither of these things worked. 

I've also run a hardware troubleshoot, but it didn't find anything wrong. 

Does anyone know what the potential issue could be or how to fix it without having to send my device into Lenovo? I'm out of warranty and don't want to pay for fixes on an older laptop (T480). 

Thank you!

Options

6639 Posts

08-02-2018

Philippines

1002 Signins

33524 Page Views

• Views: 33524
  • Message 2 of 4

Re:Thunderbolt3 port not working, power surge on the USB port

2021-11-25, 11:03 AM

Hello larnlarnlarn!

Greetings!

Try manually installing the Thunderbolt software first then the firmware after. A restart is needed in between.

You can get it from this link: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/ph/en/solutions/ht508988

Kindly include the BIOS update, Intel (R) Serial IO Driver, and the Intel Management Engine 11.8 Firmware and you can get it here: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/ph/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-t-series-laptops/thinkpad-t480-type-20l5-20l6/downloads/driver-list/component?name=Motherboard%20Devices%20%28core%20chipset,%20onboard%20video,%20PCIe%20switches%29

Let us know how it goes.

Jwes_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

10 Posts

08-24-2020

United States of America

7 Signins

140 Page Views

• Views: 140
  • Message 3 of 4

2021-11-25, 12:36 PM

Hello! I did manually install the Thunderbolt software, and attempted to install the firmware after a restart. However, when attempting to update the firmware, I was met with the following error: 

"Value cannot be null

Parameter name: value" 

followed by the error: 

"Exception has been thrown. Closing application... 

Exception type: System.FormatException

Exception message: Input String was not in a correct format"

I am not sure what it means, nor how I can fix these errors. 

I already had the most recent BIOS update, and I went ahead with the Intel (R) Serial IRO Driver and Intel Management Engine 11.8 Firmware updates, but installing none of these rectified the problem. 

Options

6639 Posts

08-02-2018

Philippines

1002 Signins

33524 Page Views

• Views: 33524
  • Message 4 of 4

2021-11-25, 22:23 PM

I see. If the other ports are working fine except for one even after installing these updates, it seems like a hardware failure to me. I suggest you have it further diagnosed from any of our authorized repair centers near your place.

You can find the list here: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/partnerlocator

Jwes_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms