Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wcarvey
Paper Tape
Views: 525
Message 1 of 7

Ultra Dock and Monitors

I have a few thousand Ultra Dock scattered across NA. We are in the process of replacing all laptops attached to existing docking stations. Before we can send someone to replace the laptops,we need to know exactly how the monitors are connected to each existing computers/docking stations. The monitor connections maybe VGA, DVI, HDMI or DP, I need to determine how each monitor is connected to the computer/docking station. This is so that I can ensure that the correct cables and monitors are sent to each location. We are using a 3rd party software to determine how monitors are connected to computers/docking stations. They use details collected from Windows to detect the monitor connection type and it works perfectly on all computers and docking stations. However, what we have noticed is that on the Ultra Dock no matter what monitor connection type (VGA, DVI, HDMI, or DP) is used, the Ultra dock always shows that they are connected via DisplayPort (DP).

My questions are:

Is this a known issue with Ultra docks?

Is there a way to have the Ultra dock show the true monitor connection type? If so how can this be done?

p600
Broadband 3G
Views: 429
Message 2 of 7

Re: Ultra Dock and Monitors

With Workstation dock it's the same issue. All monitors show up as connected to DisplayPort on GPU -> Branching Device -> DisplayPort in nVidia Control panel, regardless of the actual connection.

Wcarvey
Paper Tape
Views: 398
Message 3 of 7

So how can you fix it so that things are listed correctly? it is not helpful that everything is listed as DP!

Lenovo Employee HeyEric
Lenovo Employee
Views: 373
Message 4 of 7

Curious to know why you need to validate how a display is connected. I won't argue that you do, simply interested to know why this is important as a part of replacing system units. With that information, there may be other ways to "skin that cat."

I am not wholly qualified to answer this, but if memory serves, the docks use a DP hub in them that separates the outputs into two banks, and each has a DP/DVI/VGA port associated with it. That said, the "connection" to the ThinkPad is in fact a DP connection, but it's being converted into the other type of signal at the dock, similar to using a dongle from DP to DVI. 

That *could* be what is going on here, but I would recommend doing some due diligence to vet that. Try connecting the displays directly to the ThinkPad on a system and see if the data that comes back is different. That would tell you whether it's software or driver-related.

Worst case, you should be able to capture EDID information on displays that are attached through your software, and while that won't tell you what type of connection it is utilizing, it will very likely rule out certain connections. By that, I mean if they're older displays, they probably only support a DVI or VGA connection. 

I hope that's helpful. 

Wcarvey
Paper Tape
Views: 338
Message 5 of 7

Well, Yes we can get the EDID (kind of) but at best that will get you the make and model from it. For example, Dell PT2312HT or Lenovo L194 or how about the LG that is listed as “LG TV RVU”. Sure I can go look up to determine why types of video connections each has. But when you are talking 1000s or more computer/monitors, this take would take days to review each monitor and determine what possible video connection they have. It would take longer if I have to manually touch each computer and monitor as that would take months to get done. Why? As all computers are spread across the world.

We talked to Enhansoft and they have determined that is it Lenovo that is not following the VESA standards or Microsoft Windows standard or something like that. There was nothing else they could do as they are grabbing the detail via windows or some VESA standard. They said, if we can determine a method, they would look at implementing it. Hence my question. I have pointed their main guy to this thread.

We have only ever done our tests with a docked computer, my bad, it wasn’t until @p600 that I tried it undocked and again the VGA monitor was flagged as being analog DisplayPort. So the issue is also with Lenovo laptops too. We have re-tested Dell with and without docking stations and they report correctly. Ultimately we are looking for a way to determine what video connection each monitor is connected to the PC. Is there an SDK that I can point them too? How does Lenovo know if a monitor attached via the VGA port, HDMI,  or DP?

Lenovo Employee HeyEric
Lenovo Employee
Views: 324
Message 6 of 7

Thank you for responding. I do understand the complexities you are facing, I was just trying to help bridge the gap. If that's a not feasible workaround, I get it. 

You state that it reports as "Analog DisplayPort," correct? Does it report back that way through the dock? I ask because that would at least tell you that it is an analog signal, which should only be VGA. 

I will see if I can find anything further on your other questions, but wanted to see if this might at least provide a stop-gap solution. 

garthmj
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 316
Message 7 of 7

Hi Eric. 

I'm Garth from Enhansoft. Wayne pointed me to this thread the other day. My thinking was that we can determine VGA port by looking at analog DP was the VGA port too. But it does help with HDMI ports or DVI. If you can help me find a way to determine that, it would be great. Even better yet, would be to determine if the DP is miniDP or regular DP. 

Feel free to ping me offline anytime, my contact details are easy to find. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors